Author Topic: Vintage Hunting and the 1876  (Read 191488 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Vintage Hunting and the 1876
« on: December 08, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »
Howdy Pards
Vintage Hunting and the 76 Winchester . They are the perfect way to spend a day . At a time when every magazine is selling all the new fangeled gadgets to hunt with . Have you read many articles on using BPC and dressing the part of a 1880 Hunter .

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Vintage Hunting and the 1876
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 12:50:39 PM »
I suspect our DNR wardens would not look kindly on dressing the part around here. Blaze orange is pretty much required for everything but bird hunting as far as I know, here in Wi. Too bad - I'd enjoy it a lot!

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »
Hi, Rowdy.

I agree, there is no better way to hunt than the traditional way with traditional arms like the 1876. :) :)

I mentioned this thread to my bride, and she said something about any hunt that I go on is a vintage hunt! ;D

???
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:03:17 PM »

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 05:38:13 PM »
Howdy Pards
Well Deer season is over for rifle season , so it's time to try a little coyote hunting . This will be interesting as they are difficult critters to hunt .

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 05:56:27 PM »
The only coyotes I ever shot were bandits hanging around the place.  Some are pretty bold, and come in very close trying to lure my dogs away.

I assume your planning on calling them into range for the 76?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 06:13:53 PM »
Our late antlerless season was snowed out for me.  It started on Thursday and ran through tomorrow but Wednesday we received about 17" of snow and then it dropped to 20 below so there was no way I would be able to get up my driveway at my hunting cabin which is nearly a mile mostly uphill.  Oh well there is next year. :(

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 08:14:51 AM »
Our late antlerless season was snowed out for me.  It started on Thursday and ran through tomorrow but Wednesday we received about 17" of snow and then it dropped to 20 below so there was no way I would be able to get up my driveway at my hunting cabin which is nearly a mile mostly uphill.  Oh well there is next year. :(

Will Ketchum

Sorry to hear that Will. Some friends here in northern WI. got dumped on too - nearly 17" of the white stuff - but I don't think the temps got quite that cold for them. It can make a hunt difficult at best....

Rowdy, what do you hunt the coyotes with? I've never gotten any in close enough to even attempt a 45/60 or 45/75 shot at them up here. Usually resort to a .223, .243, or .204 for the Wiley Coyote  :)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
Dirty Brass
I have hunted Coyotes with muzzle loaders , lever action rifles and a Trap Door carbine . These are the weapon's I love . Most people would use a bolt gun in a bunch of different calibers . I enjoy calling a coyote in and using the ole Vintage guns . I plan on a coyote hunt over the holidays , and yes I will use my 1876 in 45-60 . I also enjoy using my Trap Door it's a real sweetheart to pack all day while walking . May have to hunt me up a 1876 Carbine for that reason .

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Howdy Pards
Has anyone been Hunting ? Has anyone tried Coyote hunting with a 1876 ? Calling a coyote can be a fun filled day of hunting .

Offline shieldsmt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »
Haven't been out for a while, coyotes are thick around this part of Montana now.  Been using a 17HMR.  It may be light, but it kills them, have taken several out to 120 yds.  I'd not hesitate to use my '73.  44-40 w/ 3Fg B.P.  I only shoot black in that gun anymore.  Fine on antelope and deer, certainly would be on coyotes.  Maybe you inspired me to try it.  The '76 seems like overkill, but if thats what you've got, use it.

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 12:52:27 AM »
    Shieldsmt, overkill is when you can't find enough left to cook.

J.L.

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 09:40:58 AM »
Cook?  :o  I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for coyote stew, but then I'm sure someone has tried it, or knows of one. Heck - I had Possum once, so.........

I expect one could hunt them with a .375 H&H if they wanted to. I'd consider using a TD carbine - I put about 20 rounds through mine last weekend and enjoyed it immensely. But they would have to be real close for me to hit them with it  ;D

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 05:47:21 PM »
Dirty Brass
How could you get past the smell to cook a coyote . They are stinky critters to say the least . But they have  nice fur on them in the Winter months .

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 11:31:24 PM »
Coyote, the other dark meat! :D
GAF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 03:27:53 PM »
Grizzly, that's gross.

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »
Well  Fellers, The old time Indians did.  Mountain Lion, Beaver, Porky pine and Marmot aint too bad either.  I have ate them and especially liked the lion roasts.  Porky aint too bad either if you cook it on a rotissery slow like.  So don't say that coyote is yucky cause if you are hungry enough you can gobble near most anything like that. ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 09:50:45 AM »
I had to smile when International Orange was mentioned.  I was stationed on the water in Portsouth NH in the 'seventies; and during that time:

A ranger was hiding behind a bush watching two drunk hunters. He leaned back on his haunches and stepped on a twig. The hunter twirled around and shot the ranger through the bush, opening up his thigh. Writhing in pain, he heard the hunter say to his friend, "You cover him and I'll finish him off ....'

In Maine, a store owner known for cutting up game for hunters was approached by two hunters ... they wanted to know how much to butcher their animal. How much does it weigh? the shopkeeper asked.

'Oh has to be about 1300 pounds' ... (they had shot a moose) ...

Dairy Farmers in New Hampshire and Maine regularly spray painted "C -- O -- W" on their livestock during hunting season ...

Not saying that I am anti hunting ... just that in some states, there is a very valid reason for that International Orange hunting vest ... LOL

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »
larryo 1 mentioned porcupine as being good to eat.  I've not eaten any, but I have heard too, that this is quite good.  I've read many times about the fact that mountain men and frontiersman would never kill a porcupine just for fun.  They knew that if they were stranded in the mountains without a rifle and needed food, a porcupine could easily be killed with a stick or rock.

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 11:54:12 AM »
Buck:
You are absolutely correct.  Porkies are very easy to kill.  When I was with the Forest Service years ago, we had a fellow who liked to try different kinds of wild meat.  His porkies were cooked on a roterserie slow-like so that all that fat would drip off.  That was darn good meat and not gamey as one would think.  I got an hunch that was one of the ways that the mountain men ate theirs as like over a camp-fire which would like-wise cause that fat to drip off. :)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »
Howdy Pards
Don't know about Porky Pine , We have had Beaver and it's good barbecue .And we have a season coming up in Feb where we can shoot them . I will leave my 76 at  home that is over kill .
    How many Beaver Hunters are out there .      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com