Author Topic: True story time!  (Read 3760 times)

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tell 'em I'm comin! And Hell's comin with me!!!!!
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
True story time!
« on: November 14, 2009, 04:23:47 PM »
This is gonna be slightly long so bare with me!

I went gun shoppin last night. Went out to my three favorite gun stores. First on the list was Vandalia Range and Armory. ( They got a bitchen indoor shooting range. State of the art! ) Any who! I looked over and fondled every single action replica they had in the store lookin for another 45 that come close to matchin my Cattleman I already had. I needed one more so I can finally buy leather. I just about got all my gear! They had no Cattleman with brass BS/TG. But I did find a used Liberty Arms ( Uberti ) in 45LC 4 3/4 barrel with brass BS/TG. Already had an action job done as well! Nice little gun for the money! But I'm not an impulse buyer. O.K. yeah I am! But I didn't buy that gun. Instead I went to my next favorite gun store. Vandalia Tactical. They have a much smaller Cowboy gun section.  :'(   But they did have a Cimarron Thunderer in 45LC. Man I was in love! What an awesome gun! But it did not even come close to matchin my Cattleman. Steel BS?TG, and the birds head style grip as well. I still wanted to go to Gander Mountain. So I decided if Gander didn't hav a Cattleman like mine brass BS/TG 5 1/2" barrel CCH frame, then I would go back today and get the Cimarron. So off to Gander Mountain I went. Got back in the firearms section at Gander and it was packed!!!!! Fought my way over to the Cowboy Case ( Gun case they keep the SAA"S in ) and there she was!!!!! A match to my Cattleman! Cheaper than the other guns I had looked at also! So I waited about 15 min. for a salesman to get to me, and I write it up! Made it out of there about an hour later with my new Cattleman! I got home and yanked the back strap and the grip off, then the trigger guard. Then I polished the brass up real purty!! I noticed the grips weren't as shiny as my other Cattleman so I smoothed em out with my Micro fine sand paper kit and polished em out till they shined like glass. ( That's how my other one looks!  ;D )  I sprayed the internals of the new one down with gun cleaner and ran a swab down the bore and through the cylinder. Gave a nice coat of oil and checked everything out then  put her back together. I woke up early this mornin and loaded up my boy's 22's, my wife Ruger Mark II and both my Cattleman's. We headed back to Vandalia Range and Armory to do a little shootin. Got to the range and we was the only ones there shootin. I let my boys shoot a little while and my wife, then I got the Cattleman's out. I noticed the range officer put two empty shot gun hulls in the backing boards for the targets two lanes over from ours, and ran the board out about 35 feet. He tried to shoot the hulls out with his 1911. He missed. I offered to let him use one of my Cattleman's. He refused. Well I wanted to see how well my new Cattleman would shoot so I loaded her up and asked If I could try shootin at the two shotgun shell hulls. I shot the first round off and came within a 1/4 inch of hitting the top hull. I again offerd the Cattleman to him to shoot. He decided to try. He fired off a shot and again came very close. Within about 3/8 of an inch from hitting the hull. He handed me back my Cattleman and I took aim at the hull and nailed it! I was excited!! My new one was shootin as good as my first one! He said I should try to hit the other hull with my other Cattleman. So I loaded it up and gave it a try! Like before it was very close on the first two tries, then on the third, I nailed it. Man I hope I shoot this good with these at my first match!!!! I'm gonna order another Shooter Spring pack from Brownells for my new Cattleman next week! I am very happy with my purchase, but I almost wish I had enough money to buy that Thunderer as well. Man I can't get that gun outta my head! You all think that's weird me pining over another firearm like that? I mean I just bought a new one and already want another one! Is that normal????? I think I'm gun sick guys!!  :-\ ???   

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: True story time!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 04:59:10 PM »
Wait till the warranty is up :D They hire sales people to hide with bb rifles,they know your gonna go there.. :D Kind of like those huys holdin up signs on the corners in funny suits ;D Now go back and get that thunderer i want my comission check.. ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »
Hey ,I know exactly how you feel about the Thunderer. I looked at one and it just fit. Then I had the bug bad so I wound up with two of them. Man they are addicting. that 45 just begs to be in your hand  and it shoot exactly where you point it.
 Enjoy the Cattlemen but indulge yourself  and get the Thunderer!Awesome gun.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:17:03 AM »

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »
You know when I was up there at Vadalia Tactical looking at the Thunderer, it just felt so natural holdin it! It holds very well. I just sold my 9mm Kel Tec that I used as my concealment gun. I wanted to git narrowed down to two calibers 45LC and 45ACP, so I've been carrying my 1911. I really liked that Thunderer. I may save the money and go get one and use it as my carry gun. Heck I can always take it to a match and shoot it as well. I'm thinking seriously about it!

I wander if Crimson Trace makes an laser grip for a Thunderer!!!  ;D

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 09:27:25 PM »
Good shootin pard.

After I got my 73 rifle, we were gettin ready to pack up the steel, and I noticed there were some orange clays out at the end of the berm. They were standin upright (waz why I noticed them) they were about 3/4 of a whole clay. Thought I would see ifn I could come near them with my new rifle and my 45lc reloads. First shot was to the right about 1". Second shot nailed the clay. I asked Top what he figgered the distance to be and he said 85-90 yards. Boy I waz jazzed. Frankly I didn't even think I could see that far away anymore let alone hit a target. So, I am pleased with my EMF 73 for sure. And ain;t plannin on changin my Unique reloads anytime soon either.

good job pard.

OS GunClick Rick: some folks are askin about ya over on the SASS wire..

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 12:22:58 AM »
What the heck did i do now??? ??? ;D I stepped out today to go see a frind at his antique store,by the time i got home i was hurtin bad.Been layin on a heatin pad a few hours.THat was pretty good shootin Ledbetter,i'd go get that thunderer ifin i was you.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 23189
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 07:22:59 PM »
True story..............

"Well you marry me?", I asked kneeling on one knee.

"sure", she said off handedly.
Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »
I thought the same exact thing. I've carried a Colt Series 70  on and off duty for well over thirty years. But when I bought the Thunderer, it really just fit the hand.
 I built a shoulder rig for the pair and rhey are my carry weapons now..
 i've only shot factory loads in them so far but I am tickled pink wih the way they  shoot.
 i dont thinnk you can go wrong with one. just remember that its a SA and you have to take that into consideration safety wise,Semi auto Vs. SA.

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 06:33:32 AM »
I thought the same exact thing. I've carried a Colt Series 70  on and off duty for well over thirty years. But when I bought the Thunderer, it really just fit the hand.
 I built a shoulder rig for the pair and rhey are my carry weapons now..
 i've only shot factory loads in them so far but I am tickled pink wih the way they  shoot.
 i dont thinnk you can go wrong with one. just remember that its a SA and you have to take that into consideration safety wise,Semi auto Vs. SA.

I've been getting used to carrying a single action by packin my 1911 with the hammer down. Been practicing at the range on deploying it from my holster and having to cock the hammer before firing. Tuff to do, but possible in a reasonable amount of time. I think it will be easier with the Thunderer. I may try and buy that gal this weekend!!  ;D

And Matthew!  I'm sure glad you added that third line to your post! Thought you was askin me there for a minute!  ;D Pleased to meat ya Mr. Duncan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com