Author Topic: 1895 in 405 win.  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1895 in 405 win.
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:51:18 PM »
Finally decided to take the plunge and bought one of the Teddy Roosevelt 100 year commemorative Winchesters in 405 win today. It is one nice rifle. It may be a mistake but this rifle is going to be shot. I dont buy 'em to look at or invest for future sale. I think I will take it on my late season elk hunt or maybe an eastern Kentucky black bear hunt. Is there anybody out there who shoots a 405 with any advice on ammo or any other tips?
                                                                     Regret Chancy (never probable)
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: 1895 in 405 win.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:29:26 PM »
 Get set for some humdinger recoil. Be mindful that unlesss Hornady has toughened up those bullet jackets just abit you won't get back much more than 130 grs of shrapnel from those 300 gr bullets.
 If that rifle is drilled and tapped for receiver sights a Williams for the 86 win should fit right up. I put one of the Ukranian lyman 38 type sights on mine. had to wait a year to get it. If you want a version of the Lyman 21 might look at Providence tools version.
 Cast bullets are easier to come by now than 7 or 8 years ago. Buffalo Arms has a pretty good bullet and mould and Lyman has returned to making the 412263 bullet mold. Montana Bullet Works also sells good cast bullets for it, but you may want to slug the barrel for a measurement they have been running pretty large the last couple of years.
 Best powders I've come by for cast is 5744 and rl12 for jacketed. Rl12 isn't available anymore, so subbint rl15, or 4320 works pretty good.
 Fun cartridge accurate as the dickens, and kills elk plumb dead.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »
That is a really good elk  :) :) Seems like when I am hunting elk I usually only have time to view the back half and it just gets smaller and smaller. If I could hunt them like white tail but I have a elk hunting partner that likes to walk and call daylight til dark. Now I know that works for some people but me and him must be the worst callers around 'cause we are 0 out of 5 yearly trips but I can tag out on opening day of rifle season for whitetails. Thats my 2 state tags (1 buck and 1 doe) and 2 bonus antlerless tags thats a years supply of venison at my house. I guess I need to learn to call better or find another hunting buddy HA. On the serious side what would you compare to the 405 recoil? More than 7 mm Rem Magnum? Thanks, RC ;D ;D
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:37:55 PM »

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:38:35 PM »
 If you've ever fired a liteweight 12 ga, like an old Iver Johson, with a full magnum waterfowl load, the 405 is a bit more of a quick jab than that.
 Don't shoot it from the bench, use crosssticks, and a Past recoil shield or a limbsaver slipon will be your friend. Make sure your finger nails are trimmed short and smooth won't stick your lip so hard.
 I put a limbsaver 10112 pad on my rifle the extra length of pull helped about as much as the recoil taming did.
Really like the rifle and the cartridge but its a handful until you get used to one another.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com