Author Topic: Sacramento CA Black Powder Assistance?  (Read 7319 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sacramento CA Black Powder Assistance?
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:41:13 AM »
Hi,

I bought a pair or Ruger Old Army SS 5.5" Barrel fixed sight models.

The problem being that I have never fired black powder before, and would really like someone to come along and walk me through my first time fireing these pistols.

Anybody nearby with blackpowder experience want to spend half a day at the Rancho Cordova Range with me?

Reply here, PM me or my email is on my profile .....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Sacramento CA Black Powder Assistance?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 07:55:42 AM »
I wish I could get over the pond to help you out, WWE, but in the meantime it's simple, if you are loading on the revolver,, cock to half-cock to allow the cylinder to turn.

1. Fill a chamber with Black powder to within 3/8" of the chamber mouth.

2. Place a .457 soft lead ball on the chamber mouth and ram until ball is below the chamber rim.
(You may need a drilled out file handle to give more leverage with your short loading levers)

Repeat 4 times. (for safety, remove a nipple and use to lower your hammer on)

3. Take the correct size perc. cap and place on the nipples, firm into place, ( I use a small wooden dowel).

4. Bring to full cock, ensuring that a cap is under the hammer,,,,take aim,,,,FIRE!!!(repeat 4 more times).

5. Wipe the silly grin off your face, say sorry to anyone enveloped in your smoke, (you don't have to mean it) and start again!!

Have fun,,,AE ;D

I bet someone starts talking about Grannies and sucking egg's,  ::)

Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 10:17:10 AM »
Angel Eyes,

Sigh, I had this whole post finished, was adding photos, and it dissappeared.

But to move on, when I bought these pistols, I was given everything ....

A half bottle of Hogdon 777

A powder flask with a 20 grain loading tube

Bullets and Wonder Wads; I bought some new wads in case the old ones were dessicated

A 'snail' full of caps as well as several tins of caps (#10s;  the ROAs have Uncle Mike nipples)

A 'loading extension' made out of 1/2" schedule 80 PVC pipe with a wood fitted end for the hand ....

Nipple and cap extraction tools

So I think I have everything I need .... pics attached

I have been thinking about why I haven't shot these things ... I think it is that I am so used to the military  'See one, Do one, Teach one' that I fell unequipped without an instructor beside me on a first time experience of about any kind ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:22:24 AM »

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 01:11:12 PM »
WWE, I can sympathise, as I was also brought up in the military method.

My first B/P revolver was a second hand, Uberti made, Colt 1860 Army, and no-one else in my club had anything similar.

Luckily I have always been an avid reader of Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour, so I thought,,,,'how hard can it be??

No problems occurred during loading, so I let loose at 25 yards at a PL12 target,,,sheer magic,,,and when the smoke cleared and I stopped coughing, lo and behold, a really tight group of ONE in the top righthand corner of the card!!!

I have improved considerably since then and have enjoyed 25 years of Holy Black through nearly all makes of pistol and revolver.

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 05:59:22 PM »
I belong to the River City Regulators out of Davis CA.

They are having their big club shoot, the Plainfield Incident the first Saturday and Sunday of December.

http://californiagunslingers.com/

(click on river City Regulators; then 'Plainfield Incident') ...

Since the Saturday shoot is also a practice shoot, I think I will take the guns and fire just them ... no shotgun or rifle.
That way I can concentrate on the reloading...

To my way of thinking, I will probably have too much help at this regional shoot .... should be plenty of closet black powder or ex-black powder people there .... and by not trying to compete with long guns, it shold give me plenty of time to reload between stages ....

Matter of fact, I am going to email the president of the club and let him know of my intentions ... make sure it is okay since it is a regional shoot ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
Throw the carbine & fowling piece in the trunk, along with some ammo.  You never know, you might have a use for them!

Scouts motto;  BE PREPARED!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 06:54:20 PM »
Sir Charles,

Good Point!

I will be shooting with the Codymatic '73 Winchester carbine and the Cap Coyote Winchester Model 87 Shotgun on Sunday, along with my Schofields. (Okay, okay, I am guilty of a little name dropping .... *S*)

So the long arms will be shot over the weekend;  I just want to put all my attention on the Rugers for Saturday .... since it is a first time and all ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Jethro "Black Jack" Harris

• No. Do or do not...there is no try.
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »
I have been thinking about why I haven't shot these things ... I think it is that I am so used to the military  'See one, Do one, Teach one' that I fell unequipped without an instructor beside me on a first time experience of about any kind ....

WWE: The first time I shot bp was the first time I had shot anything in 30 years. Nervous? Yep. But I followed all the advice of all the pards here on the forum and had a blast, literally. I live in Sonoma County, about 2 hrs drive from Sacto and don't get over that way too often, but I'll have check out yer links for that event!

Yers in soot,
JBJH
"Here lies Lester Moore...4 shots from a 44...no Les, no more"

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 05:06:56 PM »
Jethro ....

It is gonna be a fun weekend ... they have a 'practice' fun through the stages on Saturday and a 'Wild Bunch Competition ...

Afterward there is going to be a chili and cornbread chowdown and a night fireing. I hav considered shooting the ROAs for the night fire if I feel up to it. ... ought to be a lotta fun and a lotta smoke and fire!

Then on Sunday there will be a traditional six stage match; I'll probably use the Schofields, and model 79 and *& Winchesters ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 07:21:02 PM »
I just got a reply from the president of the Regulators....

He not only is going to let me practice with my ROAs, but has notified two of the Range Officers with Black Powder experience to watch out for me and makesure I am safe .... which is what I was hoping for.....

Meanwhile, I am going to start another thread in this Darksider's  to check on the definition of a "loaded pistol" for SASS stages ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 07:39:32 PM »
Meanwhile, I am going to start another thread in this Darksider's  to check on the definition of a "loaded pistol" for SASS stages ...

Hello Wadd Watson Ellis,

I"m not sure 'bout out there on the left-coast, out here in the Rocky Mountains a loaded ROA is one with "caped" nipples.

Me Pard preps his cylinders at the cart with a little device that loads up them cylinders without the pistol frame, Powders up five holes-wads 'em sets a ball then spin and crimp 5 times.

He saves a bunch of time that way and removes the rushing.  He caps the cylinders at the loading table and makes sure they're seated good and installs them into the frame properly.  Super Slick!    ;) ;) ;)

Yeti76620

NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »
Yeti,

That is as I understand it ... but it sounds like a rally good way to trip over one's own spurs, so to speak.

But I plan to reread the whold SASS Regulations on Blackpwder tonight so I am better prepared ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 08:05:51 PM »
That is as I understand it ... but it sounds like a rally good way to trip over one's own spurs, so to speak.

But I plan to reread the whold SASS Regulations on Blackpwder tonight so I am better prepared ...

Suppose that's true if ya don't pick up yer feet and walk straight.  It's ALWAYS a good idea to know the rules just in case they change them on ya!   :o ::) :o

If ya gitt-n one of those load-n devices be sure that yer cart is a stable one or you WILL trip over yer spurs... :D :D :D

Yeti

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »
Yeti,

I just lost my whole post: damn!

When the previous owner was selling the ROAs, he was quitting shooting and gave me the whole kit as part of the sale ...

This folding reloading stand was part of the sale ... It is made to reload cylinders while installed on the pistol .... so I will probably use it on the reloading table ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 08:27:44 PM »

If ya gitt-n one of those load-n devices be sure that yer cart is a stable one or you WILL trip over yer spurs... :D :D :D

Hey Wadd Watson Ellis,

Check out this web page and near the bottom is one of the loading devices, Me Pard uses the "simpler" one that he didn't have much luck with.  Pard wasn't either so he OVER CAME and ADDAPTED.  He beefed up the lever.

More leverage and yer not outta luck if the press on the gun goes Ka-Put.  What am I saying it a RUGER, screws do leave though.

http://www.curtrich.com/frontiersmen3.html

Yeti76620

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com