Author Topic: Faux Grips for Pietta 1851 Navy Colt  (Read 17501 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Faux Grips for Pietta 1851 Navy Colt
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:55:38 PM »
Hi,

I have bought an 1851 Colt to be used in my role as a docent. The pistol will be a 'holster queen'; if I want to shoot black powder I will shoot my two ROAs.

My question is about grips. The used pistol I bought has a chip in the 'outside grip'. So I was thinking about some kind of (read inexpensive to cheap; this is a volunteer position ... *S*) some kind of faux bone or ivory grip for the Pietta.

I understand theat the grips muxt be made for a Pietta 1851; that regular Colt 1851 grips won't fit .

Does anyone have experience with a particular compny, or better yet, has a spare set of grips for an Pietta 1851 Colt?

Thanks; BTW, you can PM me or my email address is on my profile ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Faux Grips for Pietta 1851 Navy Colt
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:58:18 AM »
You could see what Buffalo Bros has to offer. I have some grips of theirs and they are fine.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Sgt.Jake

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 07:10:36 AM »
  I have used these   http://www.gripmaker.com/  for my Pietta 51 navys. You are correct about the Piettas not being close to any other's,Not to worry,Larry makes them to fit. He will even send you practice grips ,have fit three sets of his grips to my revolvers with complete satisfaction.            Adios  Sgt. Jake

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:53:29 AM »

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 08:49:54 AM »
  I have used these   http://www.gripmaker.com/  for my Pietta 51 navys. You are correct about the Piettas not being close to any other's,Not to worry,Larry makes them to fit. He will even send you practice grips ,have fit three sets of his grips to my revolvers with complete satisfaction.            Adios  Sgt. Jake

+1  Larry's easy to work with.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 10:21:21 AM »
Noz & Sgt Jake

I sent Gripmakers an email ... their site says that the grips will need 'adjustment' once I get them ... I am wondering how much skill that would take .... and if I sent him the pistols, would he do it?

Howdy Doody,

Buffalo Brothers does not list anything for the pietta '51 Colt ... I also sent them and email and have not heard back from them....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 10:32:36 AM »
Well, obviously, the need to be properly fitted, since a poor fit is glaringly obvious.

The materials used in today's 'faux Ivory' grips is easy to sand/file - but it takes a good 'ey' to get them to look 'right'.

Original Ivory grips fit 'close' and they come directly off of the frame in a smooth line - just like that seen on the one-piece walnuts on Colt's later Cavalry revolvers.

That's because final fit and polishing was done while installed on said frame and 'then' the frame was finished.

Doing this allowed the grip fitter the ability to perfectly mate grips to frames, triggerguards and backstraps.

Too many folks today just slap on a pair of grips and tighten up the screw, and think they've got something.

There should be no light showing through where surfaces mate, and you shouldn't see exposed triggerguard/backstrap surfaces - 'and' the grips should 'flare' a bit at the butt.

Look at close-ups in available references, and you'll see what I mean.

Some makers will do the fitting for a fee - but what that fee might be, I can't say.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:41:36 AM »
I sent Gripmakers an email ... their site says that the grips will need 'adjustment' once I get them ... I am wondering how much skill that would take .... and if I sent him the pistols, would he do it?

WaddWatson,

+1 on Gripmaker grips.  Larry is a fine fella to work with.  Adjustment usually doesnt take much skill.  If you can use a file and sandpaper you should be fine.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:52:19 AM »
St George,

Thanks for your thoughts ... as usual, they were succint, empowering and thoughtful ....

Fingers,

Your post entails the reason that I started this thread; it is always a more pleasont experience to deal with a company that someone has had good experience with ....

I fear I am trying to make a wild purse out of a sow's ear .... I have this old Pietta '51 Colt .... was given a squareback trigger guard, and now have to have the trigger guard and backstrp silver plated to make it appear to be one of the first edition 1851 Colts that were shipped to California in April of 1851...

So I am a lttle leary of sanding and filing a grip near a thin silver plating veneer on the brass blackstrap and trigger guard

Kind of fearful that my skill may let me down ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »
Simple...

Tape the frame area when you do the final work - and just file/sand across the existing backstrap and triggerguard while you're fitting the grips.

When you're done - have whomever's going to plate it polish it bright and then plate - and if he can do it - triple-plate it.

That'll take care of getting the seamless fit - no problem...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 11:55:55 AM »
St George,

Thanks for the tips; I do think I can do that ....

I had always thought that I had to silver plate it and then tif the grips to thee silverplated backstrap an trigger guard  .... sounds like a much better and much more do-able plan that you suggest!

BTW, if my words can be taken two ways, one caustic and one almost too sincere, please work with the almost too sincere bent  ...'cause that is usually where I am coming from

Best wishes ....

P.S. I just got an email from Larry at Gripmakers  .... he says in it that he has stopped making grips for Piettas 'cause they vary so much ... he says that I could use some Ruger Vaquero and trim them down ....

Any thoughts from the group?

NCOWS #3403

Offline Sgt.Jake

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »
  I did just as St. George described with tape,or you could always fit the grips first and then have the back strap and trigger guard off to have them plated,assuring a perfect fit. Believe me if I can fit them perfectly any one can, although I had the same fears as you before doing the first pair I got from Larry. When talking to him ,he went through the fitting process with me. He is a artist, you won't have any problem doing it yourself. Call him up and talk to him, a nicer gentleman you will not find ,he will offer to sent you some practice panels ,fit them first. It really wasn't that hard to have come out perfect. Just a suggestion for your 51 navy, I would go with the one pice grips instead of two pice ,with a screw,JMO   Edit  That is sad news ,I know when he did the first pairs for me ,he said he had to make the butt portion mold using that section from a ruger super blackhawk   Adios  Sgt.Jake

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 09:18:21 AM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding. We still make grips that can be fit to the Piettas. We have just never made them for the Piettas exclusively, nor are we now. So really, nothing has changed. Some designs must be made from the Super Blackhawk grips due to Pietta's infamous "flip" at the heel of the gripframe. These we still pre-shape in the nose of the grip and for length before shipment.

Thanks for the endorsements Noz and Fingers. In the future I shall add only and additional $10 to your orders instead of the normal $15 (hope that smiley face shows up here).

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding. We still make grips that can be fit to the Piettas. We have just never made them for the Piettas exclusively, nor are we now. So really, nothing has changed. Some designs must be made from the Super Blackhawk grips due to Pietta's infamous "flip" at the heel of the gripframe. These we still pre-shape in the nose of the grip and for length before shipment.

Thanks for the endorsements Noz and Fingers. In the future I shall add only and additional $10 to your orders instead of the normal $15 (hope that smiley face shows up here).

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Isn't nice to have friends such as these. ::)

FM
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Sgt.Jake

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »
   Capt.   That is good to know ,never know when Ill end up with another and need grips again.     Thanks  Sgt. Jake

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »
Fingers,  Apparently the Smiley Face didn't show up?  If you go to the "Post Reply" it is the fourth one from the left. ;>)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 11:02:26 PM »
 ;D  Ya mean thisun??

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 11:12:34 AM »
Now my feelings are really hurt. When I bought mine he told me that as a show special he was only going to charge me $5 more than everyone else. :'(

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 10:31:55 PM »
Fingers,  Yup, that's the one.

Noz,  Sorry if I hurt your feeling. Just send a check for the other $10 and all will be fine (insert that grinning face here).
         BTW, how do you put those face icons on here? Write slowly and distinctly as I am computer challenged.

Offline Cactus Rope

• Cactus Rope
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 05:26:46 PM »
Fingers,  Yup, that's the one.

Noz,  Sorry if I hurt your feeling. Just send a check for the other $10 and all will be fine (insert that grinning face here).
         BTW, how do you put those face icons on here? Write slowly and distinctly as I am computer challenged.

Ok, Little brother here you go.

When you hit the quote or reply button you get a window to type your message. If you look real close above the message box you will see a whole row of icons. When you put your pointer over the icon it will tell you what the meaning is. Just click on the one you want and it will be inserted at that point in the message.

Have a great day!!! ;D
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

Offline Buffalo Bruce

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 07:37:22 PM »
I have a Bar S Tru Ivory grips in a USFA Rodeo II. They did a great job of fitting and making them to my specks. Cost was 175.00

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com