Author Topic: New Western to begin production in 2010  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Western to begin production in 2010
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »
From mtv.com.

"Actors Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz and Robert Pattinson have all had their share of buzz this May, with Jackman and Weisz lining up multiple movie deals in the past two weeks, and Pattinson continuing to ride the "Twilight" wave. Now all three are lending their star power to the writing and directorial debut of actress Madeleine Stowe for her period drama, "Unbound Captives."

"Captives" is a tale set in 1865 America about a woman (played by Weisz) whose husband is killed by a Comanche war party and whose two children (one of whom will be played by Pattinson) are kidnapped. She is then rescued by a frontiersman (Jackman).

Stowe penned the script under the pseudonym O.C. Humphrey in 1993, hoping to play the lead role herself. According to Variety, Fox offered her $3 million, then raised the offer to $5 million, one of the highest offers ever made to a first-time screenwriter.

Ridley Scott was interested in directing and Russell Crowe wanted to star, but the actress turned down that offer because there was no promise that she would be involved beyond a screenwriter's credit. "There are moments in life where you need to follow your heart. The script remained my singular focus, but directing it myself wasn't something I ever dreamed of," said Stowe, who was encouraged to take the director's chair by the film's producer, Gil Netter, Variety reported. She'll be aided in her debut by experienced cinematographer John Toll, who has been responsible for such historical epics as "Braveheart" and "The Last Samurai."

Though Stowe no longer gets to play the part for which she once turned down $5 million, she is enthusiastic about Weisz taking the role. "I saw three actresses, and knew after meeting with Rachel that she was the person I wanted to hand this role to," she told the paper. She also managed to land her handsome male leads with a bit of lucky timing, noting, "Robert said yes last fall, before everything broke with 'Twilight.' Hugh said yes a couple of weeks ago."

Filming is expected to start by the end of the year.
End Quote.

I've also read that Robert Pattinson will be speaking the language of the Comanche throughout this film.

Now considering that I'm part Comanche on my father's side of the family, this ought to be interesting.

A work in progress.

Offline DarbyFett

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Western to begin production in 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 11:25:34 PM »
You lost me at Robert Pattinson. Maybe because I only saw him in 20 minutes of New Moon, but I have a knee jerk reaction to his name.

Who am I kidding, of course I am going to watch it, I love Hugh Jackman. Maybe I should give the feller a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com