CAS TOPICS > The Darksider's Den

"Scrap Guns"

(1/1)

drjldavis:
In my 17yrs of research I have discovered that there was a great deal of exchanging of parts between the various Italian manufacturers of the replica percussion revolvers.  This was especially true between Armi San Marco, Uberti, and Palmetto.  As most collectors already know that the 2nd & 3rd Generation Colts used rough castings and parts made by both Uberti and Armi San Marco.

I have added a chapter in my book (still working on it) dealing with what I call "Scrap Guns".  I have observed and acquired a few of these for study and would like to acquire others.  If you have any revolver that may have commemorative parts mixed with standard production revolvers, I would appreciate information about these.  As an example I recently acquired a Tucker & Sherrard Dragoon originally made only by Uberti but the cylinder on an Armi San Marco production Dragoon.  Another was a Dallas Arms Collector's Association Commemorative Dragoon, with the cylinder so marked, on an Armi San Marco regular production Dragoon. 

Even though these really do not have collector value, they are interesting to observe.  Pictures would be especially welcome.

madcratebuilder:

--- Quote from: drjldavis on November 05, 2009, 12:32:57 PM ---In my 17yrs of research I have discovered that there was a great deal of exchanging of parts between the various Italian manufacturers of the replica percussion revolvers.  This was especially true between Armi San Marco, Uberti, and Palmetto.  As most collectors already know that the 2nd & 3rd Generation Colts used rough castings and parts made by both Uberti and Armi San Marco.

I have added a chapter in my book (still working on it) dealing with what I call "Scrap Guns".  I have observed and acquired a few of these for study and would like to acquire others.  If you have any revolver that may have commemorative parts mixed with standard production revolvers, I would appreciate information about these.  As an example I recently acquired a Tucker & Sherrard Dragoon originally made only by Uberti but the cylinder on an Armi San Marco production Dragoon.  Another was a Dallas Arms Collector's Association Commemorative Dragoon, with the cylinder so marked, on an Armi San Marco regular production Dragoon.  
Even though these really do not have collector value, they are interesting to observe.  Pictures would be especially welcome.

--- End quote ---

Jim

I know you have put a lot of time into this and I don't want you to think I'm challenging your findings, but can you point me to anything about ASM parts in the 2nd and 3rd gens?  I do know that ASM was in the running to supply parts and even made up some complete revolvers.  These where rejected by Colt Manuf. Co.  ASM went on the market some revolvers with the Colt barrel markings and was sued by Colt, but there are some of these on the used market.

I have a Tucker & Sherrard Dragoon #T390.  Compared to my ASM 3rd Model shoulder stocked Dragoon that Uberti cylinder is .080 shorter and has a arbor hole diameter that is .020 smaller than the ASM.  The ratchet design is very different also, leads my to believe they are not by the same manufacturer.  The T&S cylinder should be unique being marked with the Texas star and TEXAS ARMS.  Mine has a very high quality roll engraving.  The ASM's are crude in comparison.

T&S Dragoon made by Uberti, as far as I can tell they made about a thousand of this model.  I think that makes it collectible myself.

ASM 3rd model Col;t Dragoon with 18 inch barrel and shoulder stock.  All metal work on the shoulder stock is steel and the revolver has a steel back strap.  I believe that ASM made about five thousand of this model.  I have not seen a serial number above 5000..........yet.  This ASM has some of the nicest wood I have seen on any cap and ball revolver, it well look great in tung oil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version