Author Topic: New project Stevens 22 Rifle  (Read 8877 times)

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tell 'em I'm comin! And Hell's comin with me!!!!!
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New project Stevens 22 Rifle
« on: November 02, 2009, 08:15:55 PM »
I brought this old rifle home and started cleaning on it and found out it a Stevens Marksman model 12. It is missing the firing pin but is complete other than that. I have located a firing pin and have it on its way. There are some other small problems with the rifle, such as the rear sight is bent. I cleaned out the barrel and found it to be a smooth bore. It has some minor pitting in it about mid way down. I was bummed about that. Being a smooth bore though makes it good for collectabiliity but a pain to shoot. So I am working on getting an aftermarket barrel to fit to it. Since the gun breaks down easily I can swap the barrels rather easily when I want to shoot the gun. Saving the smooth bore from further wear. All in all it is a really neat old gun and I am not that much into it. I am going to make a new stock and two forend's for the gun since the gun will have two barrels. The original stock has the letters CT carved deep in them on the left side. They don't show up in the pics below.  I will do my best to smooth out and remove the dents in the receiver and action lever, then re-brown the gun. A couple of the dents are allong the sharp bevel edge of the receiver. I am sure I will have to add some weld in those areas to smooth the metal out where it looks correct. Below are pics. Sorry they are so dark. The lighting in my living room is very bad.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New project Stevens 22 Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »
Congratulations on the Stevens Model 12 find.
Did you find any Caliber markings on the Barrel?
Is it set up for Center Fire cartridges?

Best Regards,
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 12:13:31 AM »
amin ledbetter,

Pleas Tell us more about your Stevens Model 12 Project?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:08:20 PM »

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »
Progress on my Stevens Model 12 project is going S-l-o-w-l-y due to my limited "Discretionary Spending funds" of late.  
However; there has been some progress:
- I have received the Model 12 back from my gunsmith with the 'light Strike problem believed corrected.
- I now have a replacement Forearm Stock piece and have marked the barrel for the retainer screw hole position.
- Now I need to get together a proper thread Tap (bottoming type) and a Tap drill size Twist drill to fit a Stevens Retaining screw, which i also need to get.
- I have sights on the Rifle that need to be adjusted at the Range, which I have not gone to do because of lack of funds.
- I do have a few .32 Long Colt cases made into RF Adapters so I will be able to fire this one eventually.
- I have a small Supply of 90 grain Heeled Bullets Lubed and ready for loading.
So almost all preliminary work is done and now I need to earn some spare money, difficult as NO Work Calls frommy Union dispatcher have come in.
I guess this is similar to Military "Hurry up and Wait" conditions.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 06:54:11 PM »
The Stevens Marksman Model 12 is nearly complete as I have the barrel Center punched for the forearm retainer Screw but need to buy the Taps and Tap drill to finish up this part fo the project.
In the mean time I came across two 'Bronze' or 'Brass' Marksman Awards and m thinking of insetting and mounting them in the Butt stock, one on each side.  They are 1" Square with three concentric Circles on their face with blank backs.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com