Author Topic: Square Back Trigger Guard for a Pietta 1851 Navy Colt  (Read 11817 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Square Back Trigger Guard for a Pietta 1851 Navy Colt
« on: October 31, 2009, 08:46:35 PM »
Hi,

I have basically two problems:

1.) The Pietta 1851 is very old probably mid '80s (Serial # E57XXX).

2.)  The trigger guard is a round back, and I need to replace it with a square back one.

Allesson from Pietta says that she thinks that it might need some gunsmithing to fit ... that Dixie Arms would have the part.

I talked to Jaimie at Dixie Arms who said that they only had one part number and that was for round backed 1851 Navies ... he even went back and checked the parts bin .... only had round backed trigger guards.

Pietta still makes the square back for some models  ... just can't find a part number so I could order one ....

Help!

Anyone have a square back trigger guard that they want to sell?  *S*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Square Back Trigger Guard for a Pietta 1851 Navy Colt
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 09:21:03 PM »
I haven't seen a new Pietta with the square back guard in quite a while.  Call VTI and see if they still have some.

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/

I always liked the looks of the square back, but after buying six or eight of them and shooting them in matches, I must say the round trigger guard is a lot more comfortable to shoot.

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:43:36 PM »
While searching for a square back trigger guard and a steel grip frame back strap to make a '51 Navy Colt look right for a USN impression, I stumbled over a Whitney Navy and am very happy with it. Wadd, S & S Firearms has a square back trigger guard Navy Colt as item # RFT006; give them a call and see if they can set you up with one. I'm still planning to get one myself.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:35:00 AM »

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 11:35:05 PM »
I don't recall Pietta ever making a '51 with a square back trigger guard; only Euroarms, Uberti and Colt.  

Is there a driving need for a square backed triggerguard?  There were only 4200 '51 Navies made with square back triggerguards; the the 1st and 2nd Models made in 1850 & early 1851 (up to SN 4200).  After that, the round and oval trigger guards were standard, depending on year of mfg.  Navy - Navies  all had iron backstraps & rounded iron triggerguards.

Info from "51 Colt Navy" by Nathan Swayze
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:00:15 AM »
Fingers,

As a matter of fact, there is a need.

I am going to be a docent for Old Sacramento, and the personna I am creating is that of a Californio in 1852-'53.

The first Colt '51s that were sent to Califonia left New York in April 1851 and arrived approximately 9 months later.

The were all First Generation Colt Navy Model '51s with the squareback and silver plated Squareback trigger guards and backstraps.

So not only do I have to find a squareback trigger guard, but I have to have it in my hot little hands in time to get it silver plated and assembled before January 1st....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:06:51 AM »
Frenchie,

BTW, I called S&S, as well as sent an email.

They even checked their inventory ... no joy on the squareback trigger guard ....

So, does anyone have a square back trigger guard they want to sell? Perhaps trade for a round back trigger guard?

NCOWS #3403

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tell 'em I'm comin! And Hell's comin with me!!!!!
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:46:23 AM »
This is a long shot but may be worth a try. If you checked VTI already for a Pietta Square back TG, call them back and ask if they have any left over Armi San Marco TG's. I know they made them with the square back because I own a Hartford Model. Not much ASM stuff left out there though. But worth a try if you are in need of one. I would keep checking Gun Broker.com for used ones as well. There are a couple of complete 51's on there with the square back, but I was uncertain if you wanted to purchase a whole gun.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:37:43 AM »
Amin,

This docent position is a volunteer opportunity, and I have already invested apporoximently $1400 dollars in appropriate clothing, pistol, leather, etc.

I would much rather buy the trigger guard and place it on th epistol that I already own than buy yet another pistol.

As soon as I finish this, I have been told by Pietta to contact a certain person at Dixie Gun works and that Pietta says that she will know how to order the part.

I have less than total faith that I will be successful, but I would love to be proved wrong .... *S*

NCOWS #3403

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »
Fingers,

As a matter of fact, there is a need.

I am going to be a docent for Old Sacramento, and the personna I am creating is that of a Californio in 1852-'53.

The first Colt '51s that were sent to Califonia left New York in April 1851 and arrived approximately 9 months later.

The were all First Generation Colt Navy Model '51s with the squareback and silver plated Squareback trigger guards and backstraps.

So not only do I have to find a squareback trigger guard, but I have to have it in my hot little hands in time to get it silver plated and assembled before January 1st....

WaddWatson,

Understand.  Good luck in your search; but, I dont think you'll find a Pietta square backed triggerguard.

FM
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 11:42:08 AM »
Fingers,

I was beginning to fear exactly the same ....

But I recieved a PM from another member who had a First Model trigger guard he is senting me.

So Halleleujah!  The Lord does work in mysterious ways  .....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 02:19:17 PM »
Fingers,

I was beginning to fear exactly the same ....

But I recieved a PM from another member who had a First Model trigger guard he is senting me.

So Halleleujah!  The Lord does work in mysterious ways  .....

Great  :)  Sometimes the stars all line up.

FM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com