Author Topic: Grips  (Read 3100 times)

Offline rafterp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Grips
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:18:37 PM »
I'm new to the sport and mostly lurk on this site. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I was reading the thread about making the 1860 grips and it brought up a question I've been wondering about. What is the difference between "one piece" and "two piece" grips? I mean it seems obvious that there are two pieces to a two piece grip, but I don't see how any grips could be one piece. Could someone post an example of each? The grips posted in the 1860 grip thread, I assume are two piece?? Thanks for helping clear this up.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Grips
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:30:10 PM »
Some "one piece" grips are actually THREE piece...As you saw in the pix on amins thread, he took the two flats and glued a spacer in between to go inside the frame..This is esp effective if workin with some ivory and you don't have that thick a piece.  Most of my ivorys are two piece as that is all that Boone Traders offer at this time.

amins pix shows the effect well. Hope that answers yer question. hope you enjoy the site.

good shootin
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tell 'em I'm comin! And Hell's comin with me!!!!!
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:06:43 PM »
Welcome to forums.

Most one piece grips will have no visible screw going through the main body of the grip. Thus the grip frame, or as we often refer to them ( on Colts ) as the back strap ( BS ) and the trigger guard ( TG ), hold the grips in place. On a one piece grip the above mentioned BS/TG hold the grip on the gun by applying upward and forward pressure on the inside section or tie. This keeps the grips in place. Here are an example of each type. First a one piece grip

Note the surrounding brass frame around the wood grip. The screws that hold the grip frame to the receiver/body of the gun hold the wooden grip in place. None of the screws actually go into the wood. When you remove the back strap you can slide this grip assembly out as one piece.

Now a two piece grip

Here you can clearly see the end of the screw within the brass feral. The screw actually goes through both grips from left to right. When those grips come off they are two separate pieces of wood. 

Hope this helps.

Amin Ledbetter

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:56:00 AM »

Offline rafterp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 03:21:36 PM »
Thanks gentlemen...that clears things up nicely. Are certain brands typically one style or the other? Are Colts and their clones one-piece, and Remingtons two-piece?

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 03:57:19 PM »
Colts over the years have had both. Their wood grips were usually one piece like amins pix. Their black grips were 2 piece. Folks put all kinds on aftermarket.
Remington usually had 2 piece..the Remington frame and backstrap were all one piece..so harder to grip the grip so to speak.
here are a couple of variations of grips, everything from Colts, Remingtons, Schofields and even a MH

curley

The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline rafterp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 04:35:07 PM »
Wow...what cool looking pics. Thanks for sharing those. I've been coming here for awhile...don't usually miss more than a week at a time. I just like to look at pics of cowboy guns. One thing I'll say, is that I have a few hobbies and go to several forums, but none of them...NONE...(and I've checked out another one related to this sport) are as friendly and helpful as this one. If your shoots are half as much fun as these threads...ya'll are livin' large! Thanks.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 06:09:47 PM »
You got it down, and that is a fine lookin piece..
below, close up of real ivory and real stag. (the stag cost me $20 about 25 years ago)

curley

ps yes our shoots are as much fun. Just spent 4 days at GBJL and even the wife had a blast. look us up.
The Cowboys
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com