Author Topic: Boots vs. Shoes  (Read 14429 times)

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Boots vs. Shoes
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 10:12:43 AM »

Another "townie" or non-cowboy footwear choice would be the Congress style. It was around pre-CW and was still offered (per catalogues) to at least the turn of the 20th Century.

This was basically a pull-on, above the ankle boot with elastic gores on either side (think "Beatle boots" of the mid-1960s without the pointy toe).

They, too may seem a bit dressy, but like the lace-up boot were in very common usage throughout our period. Many original photos can be found that show this style (as Del noted above) "if you look real careful."

Such Congress style shoes or boots are still available today from outfits like River Junction and others.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »
Those Congress-style shoes sound like what they called in the Navy "LOX boots".  Aircraft Mechs wore the "Boodocker" style shoe which basically looked like a lace-up, round (and steel-) toed brogan.  The LOX boots were similar, without laces, but had the elastic on the sides, so you could slip them off in a hurry, in case you spilled liquid O2 on your foot.  I think the leather and soles were specially treated so they wouldn't soak up oil or grease, as well.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline 'Monterrey' Jack Brass

• NCOWS Life, SASS Life
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ferrotype of Brass, c1885, by R. Gibson
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 03:35:34 AM »
Alexanderom - I concur with Irish Dave's sentiments about 'Congress Gaiters' (elastic-sided shoes/bootees). They were quite common as evidenced in numerous period studio and other photographs of the era. These would be a great match for a sack suit were you to go that way. These shoes almost require a boot jack to remove, fit the foot well, are snug around the ankle, and are quite comfortable in general.

I ordered mine from Robert Land some time ago and have not been disappointed, though this is true with all of his historic reproduction footwear. Of interest, Land's Congress gaiters have integral tabs - one in front off and one behind the ankle. These tabs are very important as you'll see when putting on the shoe, you'll need them to effectively pull the shoes on over your ankles. I recommend your being seated for this operation (i.e. I found out the hard way that standing while putting on this type of shoe of is not a good idea).

Here is a link to his excellent reproduction product if you’re keen to see them (scroll down to see "Gentleman's Congress Shoe" type 1 and type 2): http://www.robertlandhistoricshoes.com/servlet/Categories?category=1861-65+men%27s+shoes+and+bootees

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:43:33 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com