Author Topic: I got my 1860  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I got my 1860
« on: October 28, 2009, 06:25:57 PM »
Hi Guys,
 I got my 1860 Henry, and I hope that someone can tell me how to take the action apart? It realy needs a good cleaning, the loading platform that brings the un fired round up to be put in the camber is black!!!! I have taken apart a lot of guns before, but I have never took this type of lever action apart, and instead of me jumping in and messing something up, I am in hopes that someone might give me a quick lesson.
I would be great full for the help!
Thanks
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
Re: I got my 1860
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:56:02 PM »
There is a tutorial on disassembly, here on the BB...Ill try to find it...
But be sure you have Gun screwdrivers ( you need to loosen the two screws in front of the lever these take the pressure
off the springs ) these are very offen VERY TIGHT, like Moegilla Gorilla tightened them , good chance they will bugger with poor fitting screwdrivers, may do it anyway.
You will then need a block of hard wood and mallet to tap the side cover up out of their beveled cuts. These are sharp edged so watch you fingers.

One more thing, post your question over on the Henry Forum ( I'm inserting a shameles plug here   )
I'll sign you up as a Henry Shooter  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline drcook

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »
A lot of times if you have screws and or action parts that are overly tight from crud, corrosion etc.
you can take the wood off and soak the action in diesel fuel, kerosene etc. That will work its way into
all the little crevices and provide a little lubrication once things break free as a bonus. Diesel is probably
better. 

If you don't want to do this, I would get some good penetrating oil and let it set a day or two after
giving it some good squirts around the screws.

However being immersed in something will allow the fluid to penetrate better

dc

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:44:47 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 05:56:20 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!

Just got mine back from Rowdy Yates and it's as smooth as a baby duck's bottom.

Had it since 1987 and it has less than a box of ammo through it.  Used the '73 all the time, but now.....!  It's smooth enough and classy enough to use much of the time.

Learn to do the "Henry Hop".  ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
    • The Henry Repeating Rifle
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 10:06:58 PM »
This web site might be helpful.  http://44henryrifle.webs.com/disassemblingthehenry.htm
Victory thru Rapid Fire
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 03:47:15 AM »
Congrats on your Henry Ace. These 2 screws can be the proverbial PITA if they are not cooperative which is usually the case when it's a factory new rifle. And you don't want to bugger them up. I learnt a trick here at this forum to get them out:
# remove the side plates
# If you "swing" the 1. right spring outside of the frame and the left spring towards the right side within the frame assembly, by carefully using pliers you will take enough pressure off the 2 screws that you can get them out.
Good luck & enjoy your Henry.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 10:56:31 PM »
    Good idea! Don't move the mountain, but rather move the continent under it.

J.L.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 12:27:43 PM »
Depending upon how "new" your 1860 is, the bolt removal will be different than the instructions on the website pointed out by Sean Thornton.

The latest manufacture by Uberti has changed the bolt and firing pin extension assembly to a system more like the original Winchester design.  In the new one, the link pin holds the firing pin extension as well as the links, and has a small wedge similar to the original Winchester firing pin retractor that holds the extension in place.  Uberti calls it a firing pin extension toggle, and is part number 721 in VTIgunparts exploded view of the 1866 and 1873 rifles. 

Push out the link pin (part 105) at the bolt and the extension can be removed to the rear after the toggle (721)  is removed.  This system is much stronger than the previous 1/16 inch cross pin.

For some reason, VTI has not updated their exploded view drawing of the 1860, but refer to the new parts in their descriptions of the 1866 and 1873 as fitting the 60 Henry, the 66 and the 73.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 09:58:15 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help!! I havn't felt like working on it, but surely someday I will feel better???? My 1860 is one of the first imported ( I think), serial number 22XXX, I think that is a small number compaired to what you might get now??? My thought was to give the gun a good cleaning and lube, if anything was worn out, I could see about repairing those parts!
Thanks for all the help!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 11:05:41 PM »
Ace,

When you get to shoot it you will LOVE it!!  I know that I am converted from my 73!  The 1860 is way too much fun to put down!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 07:05:12 PM »
Howdy Pards,
 i did get out and shoot it the other day, and i do like it!! :) One thing about it, the gun looks like I do, rode hard and put away wet, but I am still plugging along!!
 Thanks to all of you pards for the advice!!
Later
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com