Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 06:36:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Anybody use Buffalo arms bullet moulds? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody use Buffalo arms bullet moulds?  (Read 3692 times)
will52100
Top Active Citizen

« on: October 14, 2009, 01:51:35 am »

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7077.html

Anybody use the buffalo arms bullet moulds?   There suposed to be a copper alloy cast iron.  So far I'm not a big fan of iron moulds, realy prefere the aluminum moulds.

Or does anybody have a lead on a good mould for a 350 grain 45-75 bullet, preferably aluminum?  I've got one of the Ideal's 45-75, but it's a pain to use, and I have way more rejects on it than most of my other moulds.  Also think it needs to carry a bit more lube, wish DD would come up with a Big lube design for the 45-75.

Thanks,
Will
larryo_1
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 07:44:38 am »

Will:
I use a special order mold made by Hoch Custom Molds in Roswell, NM.  I believe that it is made ouf Mehanite but am not sure.  It cast perfectly every time and the cost is well worth it.  I also have one made by them for my 40-82 and it, also, does as expected.  I have no experience with BACO molds but would believe that they would do the job.  To make a long story short, what I did was make a copy of a picture of a mold out of an old Lyman manual of a 45-75 bullet and sent it to Hoch. They made my mold from that photo and it is perfect.  Need I say more!

When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member
john boy
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:53:47 pm »

Anybody use the buffalo arms bullet moulds?
Yes, the Dan Theodore Mini Groove, 520gr mold.  And if I am not mistaken, BAC uses Saeco blocks for their molds

You might want to try the Lee 457-350-F (340gr) mold ...

Same recipe - same day ... 200yds with real gusty winds and 300yds (holes marked with an 'X')

You might also want to try the re-make of the Ideal 457193- 405gr.  It too produces good groups but I don't have pictures of the target I've shot with it

Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR
will52100
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:21:48 pm »

So if there made using Saeco blocks, how well does Saeco work?  Never used them.  I've got two iron moulds, one RCBS that after break in works like a champ, and one lyman that is giving me fits. 

Lee 457-350-F Looks like it'd be a good design for smokless, but I'll primarily shoot black powder, and realy don't want to mess around with lube cookies.

Thanks
john boy
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 06:16:28 pm »

Will, meehanite steel is the standard iron used by nearly all the commercial and custom mold makers in the US.  I believe your issue is not steel v aluminum but casting capabilities. 

As for the Lee 457-340 smokeless recipe, I've shot very accurately with original powder with this bullet but have no pictures of the targets.

Since you are sounding like a purist, then you should buy the re-make of the Ideal 457192 mold which was the original bullet for the 45-75
Here's where you can buy it ... http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,21880.0.html

Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR
J.D. Yellowhammer
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 06:34:51 pm »

John Boy, did you ever put together the buy for the Ideal 375166 mould for the 38-55 mentioned in the thread you linked?  If so, are any left?
Thanks.

Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?
will52100
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 07:21:48 pm »

John Boy, I've got a Lyman that is a recreation of the old ideal mould.  It cast a very good bullet, when I can get it too cast a decent bullet and not rejects.  I've used iron moulds before and never had this much trouble.  Purist smurist, as long as it's accurate and carries enough lube and is something similar to the original shape I'm good with it.  I haven't tried the Lee mould, may have to give it a go and see, just looking at it doesn't seem to carry enough lube.
john boy
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 08:45:24 pm »

John Boy, did you ever put together the buy for the Ideal 375166 mould for the 38-55 mentioned in the thread you linked?  If so, are any left?
JD, yes the group buy was done and Lou Sellman has them in his inventory.  Here are the details to purchase:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,23175.0.html

And a sweet heart of a bullet it is.  Here's a write up I did for the first range test ...
http://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13911&highlight=375166

It cast a very good bullet, when I can get it too cast a decent bullet and not rejects.
Will, read this article and follow the directions.  You will make 'pretty' bullets.  You might want to buy a couple casting books listed there too because I feel based on your communications - you don't own any ...
http://www.longrangebpcr.com/8Phases.htm

Well, I don't know your definition of not carrying enough lube for the Lee bullet either.  Exactly how much lube do you want on this bullet?  And what kind of lube do you or think you should use?  Don't be shy!  Facts, please - not Internet talk

Let me tell you the way it is:  My mold inventory is 47 steel and aluminum molds (over the counter and custom made) for grease groove and paper patch bullets.  They are in calibers from 25-20 up to 50-70.  I cast in excess of 3000 bullets a year and with each mold used, have perfectly filled out bullets using 1:40 alloy up to WW +2% Sn.  I shoot all of these bullets too for CAS - BPCR out to 1000yds and Schuetzen gallery matches, including the Lee 457-340-F.  NEVER have I had any lube starvation or leading issues with any of the bullets from the molds used.  If I can, so can you because The 8 Phase Casting Cycle WORKS!

So stop the 'just looking at it doesn't seem to carry enough lube' sing song line because your out in left field of the knowledge game for a bullet you have never cast ONE bullet or shot ONE bullet from this Lee mold.  I have cast and shot many and you are dead wrong in your presumption

Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR
will52100
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:46:17 pm »

Let me tell you the way it is John Boy,

A, I've used both iron and aluminum moulds, I prefere the aluminum.  I've had a bit of trouble with one lyman mould.  I honestly don't know how many moulds I have, but it's more than one and none are fishing wieght moulds.  They are in calibers from .312 to .459 and everything in between.
B, I've not had a bit of trouble on my highwall keeping the fouling soft, and rounds accurate out to 1000 meters.  I have had trouble with multiple rapid shots with hard fouling building up in other guns and calibers with a lot less powder.   Granted I haven't tried the 340 lee yet and will probably give it a try as I said.  Worst case it looks like it'd make a realy decent smokless round.  It's posible that my 100 year old lube recipe isn't up to the job but it's worked as well as anything I've tried and looks and acts the same as SPG.  It's a three part mix of bee's wax, mutton tallow and pariffin wax that was originaly puported to be used for outside lubed 44 colts.  It has held up well to black powder and a 32" barrel.  It has also held up well to 45 cal. out of a Henry up to 300 rounds without cleanin and last shot wasn't much worse than after the first shot.  I will do some more experiments with differant lubes when I have the time.
C, I generaly cast between 3-5000 rounds myself every year, some years more than others, depending on time.
D, I stated and will state again that I'm only guessing by looking at the lee mould that it wouldn't have enough lube for prolonged shooting, and I'll re-state that I'd be willing to give it a try.  But I also based my ''guess" on the fact that it's set up for smokless lube and has shallow narrow lube groves.
E, I own 3 books on casting, and have done a heck of a lot of research before, during and after casting.  I'm no expert, don't pretend to be, but neather am trying to use a propane torch and spoon to get lead into a mould going "huh, why's it all wrinkled?".
F, I generaly use graf's black powder, and swiss for match loads or for small cases that need a little extra umph.
G, I was asking for help, and posibly an informative disscution, not a smarta$$ response or to be treated as inept.
H, Thank you but this thread is done, I will figure it out on my own.
J.D. Yellowhammer
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:38:51 am »

JD, yes the group buy was done and Lou Sellman has them in his inventory.  Here are the details to purchase:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,23175.0.html
And a sweet heart of a bullet it is. 

Thanks, JB, sounds like a great bullet!  Smiley

Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?
john boy
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 08:41:17 pm »

G, I was asking for help, and posibly an informative disscution, not a smarta$$ response or to be treated as inept.
Wills - go back and read your posts.  Not ONCE did you ask for any help, which would been freely provided.
just looking at it doesn't seem to carry enough lube.
Pure ineptness!

Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Anybody use Buffalo arms bullet moulds? « previous next »
Jump to: