Author Topic: Beretta Stampede Opinions?  (Read 38535 times)

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Beretta Stampede Opinions?
« on: April 17, 2005, 12:11:45 AM »
Howdy folks,

Anybody out there got themselves one of them Beretta Stampedes yet?  I was lookin' at them today and wondered what the concensus was.  They looked and felt pretty good.

Thanks!

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Laredo_Crockett

• Citizen
    • Rocky Top Tennessee
  • Liked:
Re: Beretta Stampede Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 12:32:41 AM »
Yep got two of them one in 357 5.5 nickel plated and one in 45 LC, 4. 5/8 they feel great cannot tell you how they shoot have not had a chance to do so.

Offline Laredo_Crockett

• Citizen
    • Rocky Top Tennessee
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 03:34:45 PM »
Here is a pic of the two I just bought..

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:52:54 AM »

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 05:22:37 PM »
Shaw is good lookin' irons!!!
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Hemlock Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 07:26:57 PM »
Friend of mine got one -- 45 Colt 7.5" ---  First CAS gun I ever shot POA outta the box !! 
His is a nice shooter !!

Mike

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 11:11:59 AM »
Ain't they just Ubertis with transfer bars?  ???

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Fuzzy Twobeards

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 04:42:22 PM »
I have owned a pair of 4 3/4" Stampedes for about 1600 Colt 45 rounds each. They just keep getting better! I shoot warthog loads of the holy black to point of aim (as best as I can) at SASS ranges. I have also found 4.8g of Clays to shoot well. They and my '58 Remmies are marked Uberti.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 05:47:28 PM »

Slim

Now that they may be, Slim.  But I just wanted to know if anyone had any e'sperience with them that might prove otherwise.  Am I going to have to get Annie over here with Elle cause youse actin' up???  ;D ;D ;D

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 09:30:29 AM »

Slim

Now that they may be, Slim.  But I just wanted to know if anyone had any e'sperience with them that might prove otherwise.  Am I going to have to get Annie over here with Elle cause youse actin' up???  ;D ;D ;D
Would I do that?  :D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 07:16:08 PM »

Slim

Would I do that?  :D

Slim

AAWWW Heck, Slim.  Mah 'pologies.  I don't know what came over me... of COURSE you wouldn't do something like that.  ::)
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Josie Darlin

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 11:54:33 AM »
Howdy Trinity,

Although I'm fairly new to this board, I have posted and replied to posts about the Stampede's on the Wire.

My S/O bought a pair 2 1/2 years ago, 4 3/4" blued standard in 38/357. (his first pair he'd ordered were the deluxe models, which were stolen through the delivery service that the gun shop sent them with. But that's another story ::)).

Since he got his, five more Cowboys, myself included have bought them.  We love them ;D.
Out of the 10 pistols, only one of them had a slight rotation problem (one of mine) and it was fixed quickly by the Beretta warrantly gunsmith (also a Cowboy).

They are great outta the box, but we slicked 'em up, spring kits and lighter hammer pull. (ya I know..gamey, heh heh.) Thousands of rounds have been put through 'em and the preformance is great.
For the money, we feel they are the best Colt clone on the market.. repeat...for the money.

They fit my hands perfect and feel great. And they is sure pretty. ;D

There has been a lot of bashing of them on the Wire, mostly by a certain cowboy who doesn't own any and has never shot one. Unfortunately.

My S/O has broken an ejector rod, and replaced them on both of his guns with the stainless steel ER's from Brownell's. No matter which gun you buy, depending on how much you shoot, there will be something you have to fix, even his Rugers needed fixin' once in awhile.

Sorry this is such a long reply, but I hope you get a chance to shoot a Stampede to see for yourself what a great gun it is.

Josie D

Canadian Cowboy Confederacy
Otter Valley Gun Club

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 04:52:08 PM »
Many thanks Josie for your response as well as the responses of the others.  They sure felt good that day in the shop.  Heck, they didn't feel like they would even need any slickin' work done!!  ;D ;D

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 09:41:53 PM »
Almost two months have past and I figured that I'd thought enough about it.  I went ahead and bought the sheriffs model which I thought was pretty neat.  I am looking forward to shooting it.  Based on your comments, it will prove to be a good arn!  ;D

(Laredo_Crockett, have you gotten a chance to shoot yours yet??)

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 11:02:57 AM »
Nice, Trinity!  ;D

Slim

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 08:24:18 PM »
Thankee Slim!  ;D

44caliberkid

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 06:20:03 PM »
I have a 5.5 inch in .357 that I wrote a gun test article for in the Sept-Oct 2004 issue of The Shootist. It had an excellent out of the box trigger, nice case hardenin', and point of impact was dead on for windage and about 2-3 inches above POA at 15 yards, pretty much perfect for CAS.  And yes, they are just Uberti's with a transfer bar, different case hardening process and Beretta type blue/black.  I think you will be well pleased, I'm sure disappointed they dropped the 44/40 though!

Offline SFT

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't kill a man born to hang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 12:42:57 AM »
I'll have to be the dissenter in the bunch.  I bought one NIB, over-rotated to the point it wasn't useable, the dealer told me to contact Beretta USA, they (Beretta) were worthless.  Internal parts, springs, and the like were made too soft, and Beretta wouldn't let me buy them (replacement parts) until I could provide the exact part number, and to get that (schematic) cost some $40 to have a nearly unreadable copy sent to my gunsmith, and then it took them another 45 days to finally send the parts.  I was given the run around, promised that I'd be called back, this or that is being faxed over, it's in the mail or that there are so many failures of the hand spring/pawl etc.? that there isn't any parts and I should just take it back to where I bought it.
Anyway, mine was a lemon, but it seems that there aren't nearly as many now as there were 3 years or so back when they first came out

Trinity, I wish you luck in our sport and truly hope your new Stampedes function as great as they look.  Josie, I didn't mean to stir things up around here, although I did post my experience on the SASS Wire way back when it happened, and like I said, my experience with the Stampedes and Beretta service was over three years ago and when this model was new.  I think the place I bought it from was the first shop in my area to have them, and maybe if I had gone for the blued model over the nickel things would have been different and I'd have a brace of them now, but that wasn't the case and quite frankly the whole experience soured me on Beretta products overall.  Right now I've got two Remington 1858's and two 1875 models, with only one of the '58's being a Pietta and not Uberti.  All three Uberti's are used, the Pietta I just purchased through Cabelas, and I haven't had a chance to put a round through any of them.  Both '75's came with 3 sets of grips, the original wood, one hard rubber and one set made from simulated ivory that have been carved and would have looked great one the guns.

Unfortunately, the screw thread has pulled out of both pair of the simulated ivory with evidence that the previous owner had tried to use epoxy or JB weld in an attempt to get it ( the screw guide/anchor ) to stay in place.  My point is that since the extra grips were a bonus for buying them from a fellow cowboy, who up until last week I wouldn't know from Adam himself, I took a chance a chance that these used guns might be someone else's problems, and I put my faith and trust that these used shootin' irons will work and work well, at least for a reasonable amount of time.  While the grips are a dissappointment, I can't complain, and maybe the previous owner bought them new and had bad luck with the maker, the person who did the final fitting, or just got a set of lemons.  Now, if the new 1858 Remington made by Pietta has major problems, I might concievably conclude that this one gunmaker has too many problems with this model or overall and I won't buy from them again; I don't think that will be the case, but anything is possible.  My experience with the Stampede and Beretta service is based on what happened to me personally, and it did lead me to conclude that there was indeed a problem with the first production models, but this now seems to be fixed and the majority of folks are getting great results, as seen here.  I just haven't gotten over what happened to me, and I truly wish Trinity the best of luck.  I hope everyone understands why I felt I had to explain a little more about my opinion, and that I'm not trying to flame anyone for their advice or sharing results.
Ya'll take care;
William   
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

Offline Skookum

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 04:19:20 PM »
I have had a matched pair since early last year.  They are 4.5 inch in 45 Colt, and they shot to the point of aim since they were out of the box.  They function just fine but they both would overt ravel form the bolt timing being a little late.  I returned them to the
Beretta Repair Service with instructions as to what I wanted to be done to them.  They came back repaired and have never done it again. 
The ones I have seen lately the timing issue has been addressed.  You can check this yourself, by watching when the bolt engages the cylinder.  My guess Beretta just couldn’t make a gun that scratched itself. 
There is one other issue, if the trigger is not fully released at the beginning of the cocking they will lock up.  This is a technique issue that can be overcome. 

I hope this has been informative, even if a little late. 

Good Luck from Rattlesnake Gulch -- http://www.owt.com/rsg/
Skookum Chuck.

Offline Dogwoman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005, 09:18:50 AM »
Like SFT, I am somewhat of a dissenter.  However, I must be fair also.  Our Stampedes were also early models (.38 cal., 5 1/2 inch barrels).  We had both over rotate.  It really sucked when they didn't do this at the smaller matches but started up at Hell On Wheels.

So we got home and contacted Beretta.  We sent the first one back at our expense and they did the repair and returned it at their expense.  It was WORSE.  The hammer pull was USELESS.  A weight lifter couldn't have pulled back that hammer.  Husband calls Beretta and blows a TUBE.  They said send them back.  Husband says with all the fees sending them back and forth, he could buy COLTS.  They pay for the return postage and reimburse us for the first time.

Gun is now fixed and works great.  Second gun started up, Beretta again pays all postage fees and fixes it.  Haven't had a problem since.

However, we shoot duelist.  We still don't trust them with the faster speed of traditional classes.

During this time when we were without the guns, we bought two Ruger Bisleys (also .38's, 5 1/2 inch barrels).  I like them BETTER than the Stampedes but will also shoot them if need be. 

I'm willing to bet that Beretta has changed some things in the newer models to address the problem. 
SASS 22073
NRA Life
Past Quartermaster, Wahsatch Desperadoes
Deseret Historical Shooting Society
Wasatch Summit Regulators
Guide Dog Puppy Raiser

Offline LazyK Pejay

• Top Active Citizen
  • "I'm ordering you to volunteer again Sgt. Tyree...
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 10:16:54 AM »
I read that 62% of Beretta is owned by Uberti. The Stampede is made by Uberti and has transfer bar. I believe one is paying extra for the Beretta symbol, so I bought the Uberti Cattleman. I owned the Baretta 9mm and it was a great pistol.

LazyK Pejay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com