Author Topic: Chiappa Double Eagle Derringer  (Read 19702 times)

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Chiappa Double Eagle Derringer
« on: September 27, 2009, 08:07:35 PM »
RE:  Chiappa Doulbe Eagle Derringer (.22LR) . . . also marketed by Taylor as "Deadwood Derringer".

I've seen these all over Gunbroker since they came out at SHOT show 2009.  It looks like a handy little piece for side matches.  Has anyone handled one? 

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Chiappa Double Eagle Derringer
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:54:33 AM »
First I've seen of them.  Might be worth trying.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:49 PM »
Since nobody's handled one, I decided to take the plunge and buy one myself.  These come in 2 calibers:  .22LR and .22WM and four finishes:  antique, black, gold and nickel.  I found a nickel one in .22LR very reasonable priced on Gunbroker from a local dealer.  Of note:  retail price on these is all over the place from $100 up to $200.  Do some shopping before you put your money down.

The finish does display some machining marks, but nothing major.  The nickel job is surprisingly good with a nice, even brightness.  The gun comes boxed with a key that can be used to completely disable the hammer.  It also has a crossbolt safety that acts as a hammer block.  The hammer has a half cock "loading" position and a full cock.  The trigger on mine could not be activated while at half-cock.  A 90 degree lever turn breaks the action open.  When broken open the barrel assemply lifts upward and the chambers have a manual ejector.  The barrels both display somewhat rough rifling grooves.  The grips are solid walnut with a nice grain.  Trigger pull measured consistantly at 5.75 lbs on my RCBS scale with a very positive crisp break.  Of note:  This firearm is US made, from Dayton, Ohio.

For the money paid, this is a great CAS side match gun or a great addition to your CAS costume.  I believe the quality of this piece from Chiappa, is excellent for the price.  No it is not a museum quality replica nor is it an exact replica of any 1900 design.  For $100+, it looks good and appears solidly built.

I for one don't enjoy the punishing blast of a large bore centerfire derringer.  I am not one to carry a derringer as a self defence arm either (I reserve that duty to Mr. Browning's 1911 design.)  This pleasant little package in .22LR is going to serve me well as a side match gun and is a fun little conversation piece as well.

(Note:  The San Pedro holster in the picture does not come with the firearm.)

Pictures:

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:47:06 AM »

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »
Pancho
Thanks for the pictures . Looks like a fun gun for side matches .

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 11:53:47 PM »
I like these sidexsides ;D

Bunch a ole scudders!

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 06:32:09 AM »
I like these sidexsides ;D

Rick,

(you may already know this, but for the masses):  You have there a Garrucha.  I believe these are made by Rossi and mainly available in .22LR.  In the 1920's they were common in Brazil and Argentina as back-up guns for gauchos and in the cities they were know as a "whore's pistol", due to their use in brothels.

I believe Rossi made them as recently as the 1970's.  When & where is yours from?

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 12:29:31 AM »

It's a Rossi and i got it from a feller over at the SASS wire..Then i made the box and the cleaning kit for it.The cleaning kit is an old 1800 umbrella handle and i glued a wood dowel in it,drilled it then put a jig in it.
Bunch a ole scudders!

lethallarry

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »
Hi, Pancho. I read your review of this Chiappa derringer and called Byran to ask about getting one myself. I have only the Cobra derringer I bought from him at the 2010 SW Regional match and now it is not allowed in NCOWS so I want one that is ok. I hope to see you this coming Sunday, May 20th. Take care.
Larry

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »
Pancho...  In the original pic you posted it looks like that little 2-shooter got some blood on it.   :o
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »
Pancho...  In the original pic you posted it looks like that little 2-shooter got some blood on it.   :o

That's how we roll down my way . . . 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »
Must be a Texas thang I ain't heard of.   ::)  ;D
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline ZVP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 02:56:59 PM »
 I am suprised that the Congress dosen't sanction the CObra Derringers for their events! Both frame sizes of the Cobra's are very well made and completelly trustworthy.
 I have both a small frame .22lr Davis ( Cobra's predicessor) anda large frame Cobra .38 and haven't found fault with either. In fact the little 22 has fired hundreds of plinking shots over the years and other than wear of the black finish, shows NO wear to the internal parts or the hinge!
 Just comparing the barrel size of the Chiappia to the bore, it looks as if their Derringer is a small frame size. The large frame Cobra is more size correct to the 1866 Remington.
 I often pack the small .22(for snakes and dogs) along on fishing trips and when out airgunning, you hardly notice the weight of it in your pocket. The comfort of knowing that you have some varmit protection is always nice
 I have had a Ciappia /Cimmaron arms Plinkerton and the revolver was of poor quality and broke within a year! Thyis soured me to the potmetal that Ciappia makes their parts from. Sorry but I'd not recommend one of their guns.
 ZVP

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 11:58:12 PM »
The reason the authenticity committee ruled againt the Cobra Derringer was the presence of the vented rib. 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Offline ZVP

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 12:50:52 AM »
Thanks very much for the info on the Comittees determination!
 I can understand their objections and understand fully why they decided so.
 Thanks again,
 ZVP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com