Author Topic: What's your favorite Western movie location?  (Read 7853 times)

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What's your favorite Western movie location?
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:46:39 AM »
Landscape obviously plays a big part in Westerns.
Which one is your favorite?
A work in progress.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What's your favorite Western movie location?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 11:05:30 AM »
Landscape obviously plays a big part in Westerns.
Which one is your favorite?

Hard to pick just one, ya know.

The Owens Valley region, along the eastern slopes of the Sierrra, is probably the most-often used.  Lofty, dramatic, snow-covered mountains to the west, desert and "dry" mountains to the east, etc.

I also like Monument Valley, large areas of New Mexico, the Big Bend area of Texas, etc.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 02:17:33 PM »
What was I thinking? Just one? Must have been the coffee. :D

I have a hard time picking myself. I'm very fond of seeing the Alabama Hills of Lone Pine, CA. The West Texas landscape is very rare sight on the big screen and just recently I became interested in the Four Corners region. New Mexico is just stunning when the light hits the landscape at a certain time of day.
A work in progress.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:00:48 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 07:37:52 PM »
Hands down, no competition.

It's one of my favorite westerns ... and you can't find a DVD/VHS of it for love or money...

The movie? The Wonderful Country with Robert Mitchum.

I have spent time north of the border in that area ... and between the heat, dust, scorpions, tarantulas and rattlesnakes (including the two legged kind), I can honestly say I never want to visit the area again.

But the director and filmmakers obviously loved the country ... and watching the movie almost makes me change my mind ... *S*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »
Tr.y www.zipzip.tv for  Wonderful Country.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »
Tesas Lawdog,

I would LOVE to own a copy of this movie, so I clicked the website offered.

Sure enough, the website was ziptv, but it was for some movie named Hand in Hand with John Gregson, Kathryn Byron et al ...

Is there something to direct a person away from this sight and back to The Wonderful Country ?

Thanks!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 02:37:38 PM »
Try MovieLead website, they have a couple of toll free numbers.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 02:40:42 PM »
My favorite Movie locale, The Original "Old Tucson" movie set before the big fire.

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »
Monument Valley. It is so mystical that it extends from West Texas (the Searchers) clear up into the northern plains (She Wore a Yellow Ribbon). John Ford took one look at the place and understood that this was the mythical West of every American's imagination. The Grand Tetons (Shane) made a wonderful background for the Mountain West.

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 10:11:24 PM »
Vasques Rocks in Acton, California are used over & over again due to the craggy nature for the desert scenes since the silent ones of Bill Hart, Gene Autry and soooo many others.  :)
Don't wear out yer shirt collar lookin' fer the hindsight
~Eddie Adamek~ Trick Roper
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 11:14:03 PM »
Vasques Rocks in Acton, California are used over & over again due to the craggy nature for the desert scenes since the silent ones of Bill Hart, Gene Autry and soooo many others.  :)

It was used several times in the original Star Trek television series. It was the "foundation" for some of the computer-generated terrain in the current Star Trek movie.  AND it was also used in a couple of Schwartzenegger movies.

I've been to a couple of powwows there as well.  Its as interesting (an understatement) in person as it is onscreen.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »
Again, watch 'The Wonderful Country' ... I think technicolor must have been brand new and they let the color go wild in this film!

NCOWS #3403

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 06:11:22 PM »
Hard to not like the scenery in Lonsome Dove. You get the dusty desert scenes and then you get the beautiful Montana look. Rivers, prairies, deserts, dried up creek beds and much more. Its very stunning visually. 
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
Loving the Sergio Leone westerns, I would have to say the old Italian and Spanish town sets are my favorite. Of those, I would have to pick "Flag Staff" from Once Upon a Time in the West, as one of my top favorite sets.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 01:04:13 AM »
Loving the Sergio Leone westerns, I would have to say the old Italian and Spanish town sets are my favorite. Of those, I would have to pick "Flag Staff" from Once Upon a Time in the West, as one of my top favorite sets.

Yeah the Flagstone set in Almeria. Part of it, or rather parts of it are still standing even today.
A work in progress.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 04:16:19 PM »
Well, I kind of hate to say it, but I like the Canadian scenery used in "Open Range" and "Broken Trail".  I'm much more of a northern mountains/woods kind of person than I am a southern desert kind of person...
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 02:37:38 AM »
Vasques Rocks in Acton, California are used over & over again due to the craggy nature for the desert scenes since the silent ones of Bill Hart, Gene Autry and soooo many others.  :)

I just watched "Along Came Jones" with Gary Cooper, Loretta Young, Dan duryea, and Ralph Demarest tonight. The movie was filmed partially at Vasquez rocks.

I starrted listening to the Theme music, which sounded really familiar. It was "False Hearted Lover," an old 1950 popular song. It took me a while to figure it out, since it has only been fifty-five years, since I last heard it.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com