Author Topic: Spare Ammo in the movies  (Read 16863 times)

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spare Ammo in the movies
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
There was one of the gun battles in either Young Guns, or Young Guns II where one of the Lincoln County Regulators had run both pistols dry.  If you watch carefully, you can see the actor firing wildly until the actions are cycled two three times onto empty and spent chambers before the realization is made there are no more bullets.  Totally in character, the look is "Oh crap," the scrambed for cover.  mid the smoke and panic it was hard to catch, but was a genius touch.  Made me laugh when I saw it, and I had to back it up to show everyone else.  They didn't get it.

Favourite part of those movies was when they all got fried on Peyote Cactus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11rsHQ15gE0&feature=related

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »
One of my pet peevs is people calling a magazine a clip. You should know that the two are not the same. You can load a magazine with a clip, but never a clip with a magazine. When someone uses clip when they are talking about a magazine they are showing their lack of knowledge. Just my 2 cents worth.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 06:40:38 PM »
A couple of good guide lines for a real gunfight.

1) Hold on to the dang gun, the gun you loose ain't worth crap to you

2) Never give up your gun, better to die fighting than on your knees

3) Count your shots if possible, it's really bad to shoot your gun dry during a gunfight

It wouldn't hurt for movies to learn these. I've seen more Reel good guys than I can remember either loose thier gun or give it up than I can remember.
Can I quote you on that? ;)
A work in progress.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:21:18 AM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »
Finally got around to watching "Open Range" last night.  Hadn't seen it before.  The usual predictable format - Good guys, Bad guys, the girl, and raging gunfight to settle the feud.  Kudos to the sound guy for getting the BP roar just right.  Anyway, there was lots of tactical reloads done during the big fight.  I turned a blind eye to the one instance of the high-cap SAA, but likely due to the way the film was cut for different perspectives of the same moment. 

Offline Devil Anse Hatfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 08:11:28 AM »
I watched Hidalgo last night, almost saw it all for the first time. At any rate in the big gun fight rescue part . He was actually reloading a SAA as he was running . Dont realy know if he was getting the job done or just attempting to do so.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »
It probably could be done by an experienced hand.  The pistol likely being a big bore would have made things easier.  I'd say a top break S&W would be ideal for such an exercise.  Try it and let us know how you do.  ;D

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 09:01:37 PM »
Always wanted to see someone fan a LeMat...
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 01:22:09 AM »
Always wanted to see someone fan a LeMat...

Me too. ;)
A work in progress.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
...or how about passing up the dead guys guns?  If I were in a real life situation, I'd be collecting as much armament and ammo as I could carry.  If there's one thing that I yell at the TV it's: "Get his guns!"  All due respect to the fallen, but their weapons and ammo can be put to good use!  ::)

I always say that too...

Bill

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 02:57:26 PM »
There was one of the gun battles in either Young Guns, or Young Guns II where one of the Lincoln County Regulators had run both pistols dry.  If you watch carefully, you can see the actor firing wildly until the actions are cycled two three times onto empty and spent chambers before the realization is made there are no more bullets.  Totally in character, the look is "Oh crap," the scrambed for cover.  mid the smoke and panic it was hard to catch, but was a genius touch.  Made me laugh when I saw it, and I had to back it up to show everyone else.  They didn't get it.

Favourite part of those movies was when they all got fried on Peyote Cactus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11rsHQ15gE0&feature=related

Love that movie.
A work in progress.

Offline kcub

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »
The Last Outlaw with Mickey Rourke is all about spare ammo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110307/

I'd like to see a bad guy get it from the shot barrel of a LeMat from underneath a poker table.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 09:27:13 PM »

I'd like to see a bad guy get it from the shot barrel of a LeMat from underneath a poker table.

Eustus- "Inventory!"

They need to show more LeMat's in the movies.
A work in progress.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 09:56:27 AM »
Of course I would also love to see someone ordered to drop his weapon, which he does and the blasted thing goes off taking out the one giving the order. There is also a scene in Top Secret where the one dude is loading a Thompson with a powder horn, nearly wet myself!
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 06:45:26 PM »
Of course I would also love to see someone ordered to drop his weapon, which he does and the blasted thing goes off taking out the one giving the order. There is also a scene in Top Secret where the one dude is loading a Thompson with a powder horn, nearly wet myself!

They did a scene just like that in the old "Sledge Hammer" TV series back in the 80s. I have both seasons on DVD and in one of the early shows Hammer is told to drop his gun and when he does he positions it so it goes off and shoots the gun out of the bad guys hands. Pretty funny show. A true classic. Makes good fun of Dirty Harry.

I also remember the scene from Top Secret you mention. That whole movie is hilarious. One of the best.
Rick.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:30 PM »
Just watched the other day The Westerner, with Gary Cooper as Cole Harden and Walter Brennan as Judge Roy Bean.
At the ending where they shoot it out in the concert hall they reload after only shooting five rounds at each other!!
 ;D

And there was a lot of reloading in Major Dundee, although it was supposed to be 1864-65 yet everyone had cartridge conversions.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 12:15:09 AM »
They did a scene just like that in the old "Sledge Hammer" TV series back in the 80s. I have both seasons on DVD and in one of the early shows Hammer is told to drop his gun and when he does he positions it so it goes off and shoots the gun out of the bad guys hands. Pretty funny show. A true classic. Makes good fun of Dirty Harry.

I also remember the scene from Top Secret you mention. That whole movie is hilarious. One of the best.
Trust me, I know what I'm doing...yeah, I'm a Sledge fan too!

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 01:08:29 AM »
Trust me, I know what I'm doing...yeah, I'm a Sledge fan too!

If you're looking for the DVDs check e-bay. I got both seasons for around $30.00 or so and they are great. I want that gun. Looks like a S&W 629 with a 6 inch barrel. Of course the ivory grips with the sledge hammer on them would complete the package.
Rick.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 11:45:07 PM »

Ooooooo, that's gonna leave a mark!

Offline Fiddler Green

• Top Active Citizen
  • Defender of all things fun!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:59 AM »
Try to find Missouri Breaks... Brando, Nickleson(spelling sorry Jack) & Quaid oh yeah, and  Harry Dean Stanton...There is a reference in the beginning to the Spare ammo. Also the movie Open Range and Lonesome Dove you will see references to it. But why do you never see them reload those cap and ball shooters in the movies.

Watch the movie "Gettysburg". You'll see Chamberlin fumbling with his 1860 during the fight for Little Round Top.

In "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" you see Blondie not only load his pistol but clean it too!

In Rio Lobo, JW takes two boxes of ammo for his rifle and reloads it during the fight.

Bruce

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 08:33:48 PM »
Sort of on the subject, but, Richard Widmark in The Alamo when he cuts loose with his multi-barreled flintlock carbine, or whatever it was...it was impressive, but what a drag to reload in a fight!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com