Author Topic: RNV Question  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
RNV Question
« on: August 24, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »
Just dusted off my new Rugers. A pair of New Vaqueros , went to the range and had some problems with one . Hope someone might be able to help with it.
The cylinder locked up after firing 3 rounds , I had a devil of a time getting it turn so I pulled the cylinder pin . It would still not turn nor would the cylinder release from the frame. I had to carefully apply considerable force to get it to come free. I dumped the brass and 2 remaining rounds . Checked to see if I had a bad case or high primer . Nothing seemed out of order. Checked the cylinder itself , again all seemed in order. Put it back together ...the same thing happened. this time after I took it apart I cleaned everything up , re oiled and replaced. It seems to work fine now . The only thing is that you don't hear that click as you advance the cylinder when you reload. Works fine other then that. Tonight I pulled it apart as well took the other one apart . The only thing I can see is that on the one which gave me the problem there is a small hole in the back of the cylinder opening which the gate closes into . On the 'good' revolver there is a tiny bit of as pin head sticking out . On the 'bad' revolver this is missing.
I tried to see on the parts list what this might be and what id any is the purpose. Unfortunately the diagram is not that good in that area. the only thing I see that may be close to it is a recoil plate pin??? which may go through the back of the revolver frame .
Any ideas??What does this pin do? Is it a problem cause 'it no click'

These are my first Rugers and I am totally in the dark. s I said it seems to work ok other then it definitely is not the same as the 'good' revolver.
Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
Dutchy ...who wants to be a RAT
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: RNV Question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:33:37 PM »
Dutchy:

Hate to see a new Ruger owner find problems!   >:(
I have seen some minor problems (just like your difficulties) with the "new" six-shooters.
I'm not expert on them, but I'd go back to the range & work 'em out a might more.  Sometimes they can take a bit or "wearing in".

If all else fails, the Ruger factory will fix them right up.

Keep us posted!

MG

PS  Oh yea:  Check to make sure the cylinders went back into the correct frames.   
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:48:31 PM »
MG
Heading back out in the am . It appears to be fine now . I'm thinking it may have been a small burr on some part. The only thing I noticed was the difference in the small hole in the wall where the cylinder loading gate closes.

The cylinder rotating and making the click when loading ?, don't know  if that matters or not.It appears to be indexing fine .

When you load er up and cock the hammer it rotates smooth now so ...maybe the ghost of my Ubert'is  ;D ;

Happy as a clam I am , this is not putting me off a bit . They re one fine piece of metal.  : :)
Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:36:30 PM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:57:08 PM »
Did they work any better?

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:18:44 PM »
MG
They did for sure. Once in a while a bit of a hesitation on the cylinder advancing but not locking up for sure. There is something not just right with this one gun , the other works like a charm .

I think that when the shooting settles down in November I will send it in for a look see.

Put about 150 rounds threw them and feeling more comfortable . Going back on Wednesday for another session.. Mini shoot on Thursday ( 3 stages) . I want to be sure of where they are hitting plus I want to feel good handling them.
Thanks for asking.
Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »
MG and all

Well in the words of the famous  Pogo
"I have found the enemy and he is I"......I think.

It is amazing when you open your eyes and look. For some reason this gun hates primers that are even a bit high . On the range today I was having the same problem ...not the one where I can't hit anything ...this problem with the gun locking up.
A close (er) visual inspection showed that primers were binding in two spots  on the back plate (???) of the gun . You could load a round and watching it as you turned the cylinder . A primer well seated ,,no problem . But one just a tad out of depth and STOPAGE!.
In the other RNV they were no problem.
So
1. Is it the primers ( I think that is the majority of the problem)

2. Is the back plate in need of a little stone work ...AND is that advisable?

The primer issue I have resolved . I was having problems seating primers on my press with some of my other rounds for my Navys. So I purchased an RCBS primer which allows you to put good consistent pressure.

So the rest of the range trip went well . I watched and when loading this gun if a round would bind up I simply removed it ...and no problems.

I hope that is my issue .. Cause I Love these Rugers!!
Cheers
Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »
On my pair of RNVs I had one that the front of the cylinder was scraping across the forcing cone on two places.  The tolerance was just too tight.  I honed the cylinder front down just a bit at those two spots and no problems since.

Cheers!

Buffalo Creek Law Dog

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:57:34 PM »
Lw Dog
Thanks , I saw that old post of yours and that's what got me looking. This is the primer and you could see where it was binding on 2 spots on the rear of the cyl or exactly on the front of the back frame where it meets the cyl. Also see the shiny spot of the primer.

I did 2 things ...reseated my primers

2. took a wee bit off the backplate , will check it again tomorrow.
How's things in MH. You get blown away>>
Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »
Actually I'm north of Calgary, 20 miles SW of Red Deer. 8) 

We had 135 competitors at the Canadian Championship on the Aug long weekend at Rocky Mountain House aka Rotten Monkey House. :D

Cheers!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »
Don't take any off'n the back plate surface. 
That can (will) change where the cartridge sets when fired. 
It will change how deep the firing pin goes into the primers.
I guess you could call it headspace(?) changing.

How did re-seating the primers work?
Any chance you've got some rifle primers mixed in with pistol primers, is there? 
I recollect they are not only thicker in skin thickness, but "deeper" in outside dimensions.

Mustang Gregg
Ruger mechanic wanna-be
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 07:23:34 PM »
Law Dog
Sorry for some reason I thought you were near Med Hat. I have  a son and another guy doing some shooting at a range just on the outskirts of Calgary . I shot at a public range at Sibbald (??) Flats  in  February when we were out for a visit .
Hope to get up to RMH next spring or summer.

MG
The primers seem to be the answer. I'm not brave enough to start filing away on the piece .

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 09:48:15 PM »
Final After Action  Report

Put 100 rounds threw her today . Not a blurp .
After checking the primers all is well

Rugers Rule.
Thanks for the help all of you.

Dutchy

BOLD 887 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 08:19:24 AM »
Great to hear it, Dutchy! 
Them Rugers ARE excellent machines!  ;D  Even them "new un's".  ;D

You wanna be signed up as a RATS now?  :o
NO CHARGE FOR LIFE MEMBERSHIP!!  hehehehehe

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com