Author Topic: Quick Spencer rifle question  (Read 2223 times)

44caliberkid

Quick Spencer rifle question
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »
I need some input for another thread on another board and want to make sure I'm right before I spout off.  Can Spencer magazine tubes be pre-loaded with rounds, then put in the butt, as opposed to dropping them in the butt stock then inserting the tube/spring/follower.   Seems I recall cases for carrying spare loaded tubes.

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Quick Spencer rifle question
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:55:07 PM »
Helllo Kid,

The magazine (if you will) on the Spencer is mounted in the stock.  The spring follower has to be inserted after loading the rounds.  The tubes are for retaining the rounds so they can easily be "dumped" in the magazine.

If you search for "Blakeslee Box" you will find the type of carrier used to reload the Spencer.  It was a leather cased wooden block which held 7 to 10 tubes of rounds.  I believe a heavy paper tube was also used.  Monterey Jack Brass and I have discussed loading three at the loading table and then loading a tube full'o'seven on the clock.  I have not done this yet, but it would sure speed things up.

Good luck Amigo,

Panhead Pete 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:34:20 PM »

44caliberkid

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I think you have both answered my question.  If you'd like to veiw the thread in question here's a link to that.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=392852

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com