Author Topic: A very special gift  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A very special gift
« on: August 17, 2009, 03:13:09 PM »
The lady who delivers my mail just brought me a package from an officer with the 1st Air Cav in Iraq. His mom and step dad are friends of long standing, but I've never met this gentleman.

I now have a properly folded U. S. flag accompanied by a beautiful, colorful certificate stating:

Operation Iraqi freedom

The Flag of the United States of America is presented to Tom Taylor

This certifies that the accompanying flag was flown over the headquarters of the Multi-National Division Baghdad in your honor during Operation Iraqi Freedom 09-10

18 July, 2009

I don't get too emotional over things, but this just punched the right buttons. Gotta go frame shopping this weekend and then find a place of honor for it in the Bat Cave.

The young man will be back Stateside in a couple of weeks. I need something special in the way of thanks once he gets situated. Any suggestions?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
Re: A very special gift
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:48:46 PM »
Patronize one of our fine leather smiths over at the leather shop!  His folks might know what he would like.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Black Harris

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:41:36 PM »

If you will come down to the American Legion Newport Beach, I will show you a presentation for the flag that we have. In addition you can bring your friend and hero down to the Legion for a terrific evening.

Give me an email and I will work it out with you

Black Harris

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:15:34 PM »

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »
Dang that's pretty cool right there Mr. Tom..Looks like Mr. Harris has a good idea too.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:30:09 PM »
Forty Rod, that is some flag and I think I know how you are feeling about it and the sender.

We have a flag too, but unfortunately it was given my mother and had draped the coffin of my father. She found a triangle box made of wood with a glass front. It rested on the mantle of her fireplace for many years until she had to go to an assisted living place. I have asked her if I could have it when she leaves us and she said I could have it, since I am the only other than my Dad that has served. I already have his leather jacket and medals and ribbons.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:57:21 PM »
Fory Rod,

As a retired military son of a retired military father, I understand just what a precious gift you have been given.

I think that the idea of taking him to the local American Legion or Veteran's of Foreign Wars sounds about right.

Just make sure that the menu for the night includes pork and lots of alcohol ... something he might not have seen to much of in Iraq ...

Also be prepared for him to be extremely humble, almost embarrassed to be the center of attention. He will have team members that he has left over there that he feels should be given the attention that he is recieving ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »
I forgot to add this ....

If you do woodwork, a really good way to recognise his gift would be putting it in a case;

http://how-to-plans.com/flag_display_case_plan.html
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Silent Joe

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
Tom, I'm very happy for you to have this great gift. It is a honour to a man who deserved it. S.J.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com