247 (39.6%)
Colt Peacemaker
58 (9.3%)
Colt Replica (Model P)
163 (26.1%)
Other (Rem, OT, etc..)
156 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 500

Author Topic: What is your favorite CAS pistol and why?  (Read 196829 times)

Offline Takoda Ray

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What is your favorite CAS pistol and why?
« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2011, 11:26:32 AM »
I can't just pick one.I love my Ruger New Vaqueros and my Uberti Smoke Wagons. They all shoot good and they all feel good in the hand.None have bad points.Ruger puts out a very good product from rifles right down to the single actions.

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #181 on: December 23, 2011, 07:29:17 AM »
I like my Smoke Wagons by Taylor's in .44-40 w/4 3/4" barrels. They are slick and smooth outta the box and have run without a hitch fer 3 years now using nothing but full loads with BP. Other than having the cylinder to barrel headspace brought out to .008 I have done nothing else to these guns.
I like the checkered wood grips, the slightly lower hammer, the wider ramp on the top frame and a thicker front sight. They're a joy to shoot.

;D Rye
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2011, 11:33:10 PM »
Tested my 44 Russian extra long with a good amt of FFg schuetzen and a billy bullet 245 swc moly coated hand lubed with my homemade hp lube. Shot ok from rifle and my 7.5 vaqueros. Need to work a shotgun load for fc. Eventually may shoot a litter frontiersman have pr of 1858 new army piettas and a mixed pr of 1860FFg army one inertia one pietta
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #183 on: Today at 06:17:02 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: December 24, 2011, 03:18:39 AM »
Tested my 44 Russian extra long with a good amt of FFg schuetzen and a billy bullet 245 swc moly coated hand lubed with my homemade hp lube. Shot ok from rifle and my 7.5 vaqueros. Need to work a shotgun load for fc. Eventually may shoot a litter frontiersman have pr of 1858 new army piettas and a mixed pr of 1860FFg army one inertia one pietta

Yeeee-Hawwwwww!

Good on ya, pard!  Are you gonna load BP in brass shotshells?  I've had a ball with mine and have developed a simple way of reloading them.  But it is time-consuming.  (It's all done by hand, except for the re-capping operation, and that COULD be done by other hand techniques.)

My Tula shoot-gun is not my favorite CAS pistol, (or a pistol at all) but I do shoot it one-handed somoetimes at CAS matches!
 ;)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2011, 11:06:09 AM »
Initially grey AA as I will not cry if they get stepped on
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2011, 11:10:21 AM »
SHB, You are a MASTER BLASTER!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2011, 11:20:27 PM »
Thank you very glad, Tex Lawdawg!  Brother, it's good to hear from you again.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
Describe your favorite pistol.. why do you like it so..
If you're an other, then tell us all what it is..

I'm trying something, you get 2 votes.. we'll see how it works.

After trying Remington 1858's and 1875's as well as Schofields and New Model Russians I went back to the Colt Style Clones.  My favorite revolvers are my 7.5 inch barreled SAA's.  One is an old EMF Dakota with an 1860 Army Grip frame mounted on them and a set of Tru-Ivory grips.  My second is a Great Western 2 outfitted as the Dakota.  Those 1860 grips fit my hand like a glove and are the best shooting of any of the previously mentioned firearms.  Don't get me wrong, I am not bad mouthing the others, it is just that they did not trip my trigger like these SAA clones do.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »
After trying Remington 1858's and 1875's as e=well as Schofields and New Model Russians I went back to the Colt Style Clones.  My favorite revolvers are my 7.5 inch barreled SAA's.  One is an old EMF Dakota with an 1860 Army Grip frame mounted on them and a set of Tr-Ivory grips.  My second is a Great Western 2 outfitted as the Dakota. Those 1860 grips fit my hand like a glove and are the best shooting of any of the previously mentioned firearms.  Don't get me wrong, I am not bad mouthing the others, it is just that they did not trip my trigger like these SAA clones do.

Howdy!

Although I have medium to small hands for a man, I have found that the 1860 Army grip on my old Iver Johnson marked C&B gun has the most comfortable grip that is on most of my guns.  (I say most because I have a Hogue grip on my Python - named "Monty," oddly enough  ;)  that is the MOST comfortable grip of all the handguns I own, but since it's NOT of the Olde West era, my 1860 gets the nod.)   I have an 1871/2 Open Top I got 'thru Cimarron that has the1860 Army grip as well.  BOTH guns are made by Uberti, but the C&B gun fits my hand better.  The wood is thicker on the O/T and I have sanded it down some, but I'm not very confident and don't want to ruin the already excellent wood-to-metal fit that it came with.  I WISH I could get it even closer and also thin it some, but I don't have a lot of confidence in myself when working with wood.  I guess I'm not patient enough, because I have taken too much material off before, and as you know, once it's gone you can't get it back.  Oh, well.  It fits fine, I just know that it can be perfect (if I knew what to do) because it is just right for most folks and would be VERY close to a perfect fit in the right hands.

Like you, Grapeshot, I prefer the Colt fit (especially the Army grip) but I DO like the Remington fit almost as well.  I had a pair (now just one) of 1875 Remington Army models (the ones that Uberti stupidly markets as the "Outlaw") as well as an 1858 NMA Remington Cap & Ball.  The NMA grip shape and feel (mine is a Pietta) is so-so, but the 1875s came with some hand-made thick grips that had a laser-carved tombstone and different initials on the outside panels of both grips.  One was marked RIP, the other LIP.  If you wore them in a double holster rig, each "engraving" faced outside.  I thought of each as meaning "Rest In Peace" and "Live In Peace."  It was pretty cool when I first got the guns, but I didn't care for the thickness of the grips, plus the laser engraving looked too modern.  (I know, it's just me!  Some years later I sold one of the 1875s and put both of the laser-inscribed panels on it.  Then, my bud Jed Cooper gave me a very nice set of old Uberti factory grip panels he had from a gun he no longer owned.  Surprisingly, they fit very well.  I say surprisingly because Larry "GripMaker" sent me (OK, I bought them) some VERY nice stags that I really wanted on my Remington.  But alas, the frame is shaped oddly, and not like the newer models, so they will NOT fit.

(Anybody want to buy a "never-been-worked-on" set/kit of stag grip panels for an 1875 Remington?)

If this is the worst thing that happens to me this week, I guess I'm in pretty good shape, eh?!

;D

I do love those long 1860 grips!!

Offline HogDoc Olliday

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »
My pair of Ruger New Vaqueros, 357 mag.
Just love 'em!  :o
HogDoc Olliday
SASS #89965
"Born 100 Years too late"

Offline fowler

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »
  Merwin &Helbert is my favorite and this year I will get the new made Merwin &Helbert. I will be able to use it and shoot it. Mine will be a 45colt Opentop. The finest western sixgun ever made!! This year! The factory has contacted me and said soon.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »
That's great, Fowler.  A lot of folks have been biding their time to see whether the new M&H revolvers will actually be made.  It sounds like they have finally gotten their act together!

Good on ya, pard!

Offline buckshot dan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2012, 10:37:24 PM »
first handgun i owned was a old 3 screw ruger blackhawk in 357[ bought back in 1975 or76].  have owned about 7 or 8 ruger sa since then  along with with a bunch of other single actions  in 22lr and mag ,357,41mag,44 spc and mag 45lc 454casull  had a old german made nickle plated with ivory grips  44-40 but back in the 70's ammo was almost imposable to find and sold that one for that reason  still have a 71/2"41 blackhawk thats been 1 of the most accurate handguns i've owned.for cas  i like my uberti hombres they just fit my hands a little better . i shot another shooters 2nd gen colt ssa in 357 that was tuned and engraved that was the nicest shooting sa i've shot going have to save some coin to get a pair of old colts to be happy now   the 1873 colts and it's clones are the classic cowboy guns that i grewup watching on tv as a kid and are what i like to shoot in cas

Offline Storm Crow

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2012, 12:00:44 AM »
Another vote for Ruger.  I've got a stainless Bisley .357 new Vaquero.  It's the only single action I've got right now.

I had a Taurus Gaucho with case hardened frame in .45 Long Colt, but the ejector rod was plastic, and the grips were ugly black plastic, too.  I know now that I could have traded the grips, but at the time I just couldn't find any information on what grips would fit it, as the Gaucho was (is?) out of production.

I traded it in for the Ruger, and have never looked back.  I'm very new to the sport, so there may be something I set my hand on that I fall in love with at some point, but it hasn't happened yet.

Storm Crow
Someone recently asked me, "what is the best western?"  I replied, "It's a pretty good motel, but I like Motel 6; they'll keep a light on for you."

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »
My Vaqueros are like the Everready bunny, that just keep shooting on and on forever.  :-)
:-)

Offline Ghostface Charlie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »
I went through a few guns before I found two I REALLY like, and they DON'T MATCH...both are Uberti's from Cimarron, my left side pistol is an 1872 Army Open Top with 7.5" barrel. I have several cut & repaired tendons in my right hand dating from the 1980's...it's not as strong or flexible as the left hand. On the right side I use a Model P Jr. The smaller size works well with my right hand infirmity. Both are .38 Special. Sure glad I'm lefthanded ::)

Charlie

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: November 15, 2012, 01:59:16 PM »
Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Ruger "Old Style" Vaqueros in .44 & .357 Magnum, all with 4.62" barrels. They are very durable and reliable. One of my .44's had 20,000 rds through it before a part (transfer bar) broke. You get your moneys worth out of them.

The girly guns (SASS Vaqueros) belong to the wife!
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2012, 07:37:35 AM »
Ruger certainly IS "durable."   They're Hell-for-stout.  And you'll be able to pass 'em on to your kids for sure.  And they'll pass 'em on to their kids.  And those "kids" will ... you know.  Ruger is, in the world of guns, a synonym for "strong."

Offline flyingcollie

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: April 14, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »
Colt Peacemaker for authenticity . . 

"Other" is my Schofield . . . actually easier to point well than the Colt, I bought it because top-breaks are just 'way kewl !!

Offline Slowhand53

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: August 25, 2014, 07:29:58 PM »
Taylor Uberti Cattleman in .357 4  3/4. Found the standard wood grip too slippery so I changed out with a black gunfighter style grip. Works for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com