Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 10:48:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich, Texas Lawdog)  |  Topic: What is your favorite CAS pistol and why? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Colt, Clone, Ruger or Other..
Ruger - 236 (40.5%)
Colt Peacemaker - 54 (9.3%)
Colt Replica (Model P) - 150 (25.7%)
Other (Rem, OT, etc..) - 143 (24.5%)
Total Voters: 463

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your favorite CAS pistol and why?  (Read 59648 times)
Michael 'Deadwood' Clemons
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2007, 09:03:30 am »

Well guys, mine is '72 OT Army grip in .44special. Why? Its the only one I have now. Im new to cowboy shooting. Been a flintlock shooter forever, now im moving up 100 years. BTW, Chuck Burrows is making me some of his awesome riggin's for my OT.
I will most likely be looking at a SAA in the future. My money says Cimmerion, though I like the Colts and USAF's.
I like Rugers, have had Blackhawks before in my life. Have never heafted a Ver.  The only thing, and this is fixable, Rugers seem to have 'grity' actions. But, id like to live long 'nuff to wear a Ruger out.
Wish me will enjoyin' my now OT Army .44Sp. I think iv found a hobby I can LOVE !

'AND I LOOKED, AND BEHOLD A PALE HORSE: AND HIS NAME THAT SAT ON HIM WAS DEATH, AND HELL FOLLOWED WITH HIM.'
REVELATIONS 6:8

SASS# 74755

THE SHOOTIST BOARD  http://b5.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?user=angelsandbadmen
BlackHawkPaul
Active citizen

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2007, 08:34:51 pm »

Freedom Arms 97's 3 1/2" barrels with rounded grips- pictures-

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/PaulFiner_2006/revolvers1.jpg
Marshal harpoluke
Black Sash Gunfighter Lord of the Dark Soot
Top Active Citizen

Agapei Attack Sheep

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2007, 07:01:50 pm »

Grin

A pair of 3rd Gen Colts in 357. Grin

Bob James Tuned. Cheesy

Grin

SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12
Ned Christy
Citizen

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2007, 09:16:43 am »

A pair of Pietta 1863's with Kirst conversion cylinder's. I like the way they fit my hand and the easy loading and unloading - also they are accurate and reliable ,plus they are period correct.

Ned Christy
bean bamdit 24424L
Citizen

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2007, 02:26:36 pm »

Howdy from San Diego

Been a Colt SAA collector for over 40 years, to date I own 66  first generation SAA, 26 autoloadres most 1911, for CAS I shoot a pair Colt second generation SAA NP in 45LC
My daughter "Lady Cin" shoots a pair of third generation blue SAA in 44-40.

You may say that I prefer the Colt SAA over all others Smiley

Safe shoting and happy trails Smiley

BB24424L
will52100
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2007, 07:23:29 pm »

I've got several that I realy like to shoot, depending on the mood, but my overall favorite would have to be the 60' RM conversion in 44 colt.  It is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot, bar none.  Other than that probably my walkers are next.
Kidd Krystin
Active citizen

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2007, 06:45:01 pm »

Cimarron 1872 Open-Tops, 7-1/2" barrel, Army frame.  They are dead accurate and have a real coolness factor to them.  Had a chance recently to shoot a USFA Rodeo and one other Colt clone and didn't like the feel or the sight picture nearly as much. 
greenwood county cowboy
14 year old gun slick
Active citizen

« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2007, 08:16:08 pm »

ruger......im gonna have to go with ruger

yeee haaw

RATS!!
NARVOUS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2007, 08:33:46 am »

Ruger #1 Smiley

Narvous
Cowboy on the Rocken H Ranch

Take care of your gun and it will take care of you.
My Cas City Profile: http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/NARVOUS/
Milo Talon
Citizen

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2007, 10:31:33 pm »

Ruger Original Model Vaquero in 45
grit
Citizen

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2007, 11:33:21 am »

I do believe I fancy my american regulator by ubertie, no problems an it shoots what I aim at!!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Regulators , mount up!
Cimarron Lawman
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2007, 06:52:31 pm »

I don't shoot CAS (yet), but I love all 19th Century revolvers. My favorite, both to handle and to shoot, is the '75 Remington.

Frank James was pretty smart.  Grin
Pappy Myles
Top Active Citizen

Take that you dern Varmint!

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2007, 11:56:16 am »

My favorite is the older model ruger vequeros.  Several reasons.  OK   they are heavy, but if you accidently over charge a round while reloading, they will handle it.  Dependability, relaibility.   And one thing a lot of folks take for granted, is safety.  The transfer bar under the hammer.  If you accidently drop one cocked, not a problem.

Now, it does take some work to get it shooting just right.  New spring kits, honing the cylinders for better accuracy, trigger job, and dont forget the sight in work.  And you can go as far as cosmetics too.  I have maybe 750 tied up in each pistol.  yeah, yeah, I could have bought an original colt for that!. What can I say.

Mine are in 45 Colt. 5 1/4" barrels.  I shoot 45 colt, 45 scholfield, and even 45 auto rim out of the darn things.  Once tune, they shoot as good if not better than my colt gold cup.

NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII
Eddie Mckean
Citizen

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2007, 03:56:10 pm »

Ruger because it's the only one I own.
Steel Horse Bailey
Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot

« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2007, 04:31:11 am »

Howdy!

I shoot 2  1875 Remingtons, 7.5" barrel from Uberti and an older 1873 Colt repro from AWA, that is pretty much piece for piece a copy of a 2nd Gen. Colt.  I've been told that parts will interchange. 

The (Uberti) Remington(s) is(are) very nice, and has had no work done to it before I got it(them) that I know of.  The AWA I bought new and is marked "AWA Italy" under the barrel, and except for a replacement wire bolt/trigger spring, is stock.  I replaced the spring by choice, not because it broke.  It has been flawless in operation.  I have 2 of the Remingtons and one broke a non-essential "safety-for-importation" part and both have been fantastic in operation AND accuracy.  I shoot Warthog (FULL power, but safe published loads) with either BP or the occasional smokeyless loads.  If I use BigLube (tm) bullets that carry lots of lube and BP, all my guns will easily last an entire match without cleaning, but like many, the Remington design gets sticky faster.

This also holds true for my 1860 (Uberti) Army Colt as well as my 1858 (Pietta) NMA Remington C&B revolvers.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"        

SEE MY PHOTOS: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/m1a1mstrgn/
NCOWS #1919 for Life, SASS Life #27463, NRA Life, Honourable Master of the Black Arts, GAF#98, SBSS, WARTHOG, STORM, American Legion Post # 495
*and a few other organizations*
F.&A.M. - Wayne Guthrie Lodge #753 *** Hiram's Rangers #105
(former) US Army M1 & M1A1 Tank Master Gunner
AKA - Jeff Bailey  A Three-Percenter & Sheepdog

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I aint comin' back. Burn the land; boil the sea: you can't take the sky from me. Have no place I must be; since I found Serenity:  you can't take the sky from me.
by Joss Whedon 2002 - Firefly
Sgt. Scattergun
Sgt. Scattergun
Citizen

« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2007, 11:29:03 pm »

Remington 1875 "Outlaws" mine are by Uberti w/ 7 1/2" barrels. The feel & look great. They shoot dead on.

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2007, 09:14:03 am »

Beretta Laramie 5" .45LC.
The perfect grip style for me (once the grips are replaced with S&W repros). Looks good, very accurate, shoots well 1- or 2-handed. Good balance.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal, Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

marshal@ncows.org
Steel Horse Bailey
Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot

« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2007, 07:27:09 am »

Howdy again!

I mentioned my favorite guns for CAS shooting.

I also have an old Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt that was a factory special edition.  It started life as a 3" (and a bit) barreled gun styled like a Sheriff's model, but with the ejector housing.  It came with special Laser-cut white Micarta grips.  The action had been worked on at the factory and light (but still factory) springs installed.  Since then I added a Qualite' brass Birdhead grip (done BEFORE Ruger came out with their own B-head guns), and I've done some other things to it; but no action work - it wasn't really needed.  During its customization, the "menu" disappeared from the side of the barrel.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I DON"T shoot it for NCOWS, but for just plain shooting or the occasional SASS match it comes out and it is one of the best handling guns I've ever had!  I wish   it were as accurate as my 1875s, but alas ... only my Python (named Monty) or my High Standard Supermatic Citation can claim that! 

The mechanical workings and inherant safety of the Rugers are legendary ... it's as tough - or tougher  Grin - than my old M1A1 tank!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"        

SEE MY PHOTOS: http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b70/m1a1mstrgn/
NCOWS #1919 for Life, SASS Life #27463, NRA Life, Honourable Master of the Black Arts, GAF#98, SBSS, WARTHOG, STORM, American Legion Post # 495
*and a few other organizations*
F.&A.M. - Wayne Guthrie Lodge #753 *** Hiram's Rangers #105
(former) US Army M1 & M1A1 Tank Master Gunner
AKA - Jeff Bailey  A Three-Percenter & Sheepdog

Take me out to the black, tell 'em I aint comin' back. Burn the land; boil the sea: you can't take the sky from me. Have no place I must be; since I found Serenity:  you can't take the sky from me.
by Joss Whedon 2002 - Firefly
Grapeshot
Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
Top Active Citizen

WARTHOG

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2007, 05:57:03 pm »

After shooting Remingtons, Schofields, Conversions and Open Tops, I've come back to my first pistols, Colt SAA's.  My Favorite SAA Clone is an Old EMF 7.5 inch barreled .45 Colt Dakota, made by Jaeger of Italy.  I can shoot Black Powder, the various Substitutes and Smokeless with no problems.  BP & Subs shoot the best out of it and it's Companion, an EMF Artillery Model.  The best part of my Jaeger is the 1860 Army Grip and Frame I had fitted back in 1989.

My next modification is to get a cone type firing pin for them.

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.
bean bamdit 24424L
Citizen

« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2007, 09:36:47 am »

Howdy from San Diego

I fell in love with the Colt SAA at age 6 or 7 at that time and place I was living in Tijuana Mexico, my sister and I on Saturday's Matinee cap gun in hand we fought the bad guys along side Gene, Roy and Hoppy.

Every since then I always wanted a real Colt SASS and could never afford one I grew up with my Mom playing the role of Mom and Dad.

Now I shoot a pair of  nickel plated second generation Colt SAA in .45LC. as to why I like the SAAA well the balance, the way they feel to my small hands and most of all 'cause I made my dream come true, at age 64 I'm still playing Cowboy's and Indians. Smiley

Only in America could I make my dream to own not one but 66 Colt SAA most first and second generation and 46 Colt auto-loaders most of them 1911 Military.

Safe shooting and happy trails Smiley

BB24424L
PRK.
gregr
Citizen

« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2007, 10:03:38 am »

well to date i have only shot a replica Model P, so i'd have to go with that out of shee inexperience. Hopefully i will have more to add to this in upcoming months.
SFT
Top Active Citizen

You can't kill a man born to hang!

« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2007, 12:47:38 pm »

well to date i have only shot a replica Model P, so i'd have to go with that out of shee inexperience. Hopefully i will have more to add to this in upcoming months.

I started with an old Cimarron in 44-40, which promptly broke halfway throught the first box of shells through it.  I then had the pleasure of going to my first SASS match at the old Tin Star Ranch in Fredericksberg, Texas, and handing my broken gun to the best gunsmith I've ever known, the late Bob Taylor, who returned it with an action job on top of a new hand spring, even though I'd only paid him for the repair itself.

I stupidly sold it so I could have a pair of .44 mag Rugers to play the game with, but that sixgun remains the single best shooting single action I've ever owned.  Something about the bottle neck cartridge of the 44-40 made it the cleanest shooter as well.

Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA
Fingers McGee
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

Smoke & Fire

« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2007, 11:56:43 pm »

2nd Gen Colt BP 1851 Navies cause they look good, feel good, shoot good, are authentic to the period, and if they were good enough for Wild Bill, they're good enough for me.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - LTG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozarks Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce
Four Eyed Floyd
Top Active Citizen

Welcome to Deadwood

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:05 pm »

At first it was the Rugers but then I got an AWA Longhorn smooth as silk.

Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes
Cyrille
Top Active Citizen

"To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"

« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2007, 10:05:20 pm »

At first it was the Rugers but then I got an AWA Longhorn smooth as silk.
Well everyone makes mistakes now and then---- Ruger! Ruger! Ruger! Yea Ruger! j/k enjoy your new toy!

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich, Texas Lawdog)  |  Topic: What is your favorite CAS pistol and why? « previous next »
Jump to: