247 (39.6%)
Colt Peacemaker
58 (9.3%)
Colt Replica (Model P)
163 (26.1%)
Other (Rem, OT, etc..)
156 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 500

Author Topic: What is your favorite CAS pistol and why?  (Read 195789 times)

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What is your favorite CAS pistol and why?
« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2010, 12:55:57 AM »
Nahhh. Not over compensating, just that we don't have little girly wrists and need to shoot weak rounds.  ;D
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline apachejim

• apachejim
  • Citizen
  • my kind of horse,s.
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2011, 07:01:58 PM »
I am a newbee for sure so forgive me for my ignorance.  I just got into BP a few months ago but I have always loved shooting and guns.. (Weapons lol as the Army taught me).  As a Nam Vet I have shot a few "weapons" but I am NOT and do not claim to be an expert.  I just burped off and hoped I hit something that was shooting  back..  1911 and M-14.  That time was NOT fun.. M-16 was not a favorite in early 66 when I was there.  I kept my 14 as heavy as the ammo was to carry and the weapon itself.  Like the AK you can put in mud and blood and it will still fire.  Well, I am old and was early in the war and I said that and I am stickin to it. lol       Enough said on that.

Got 6 BP pistols in the last 6 months and I love them all.  Its all about fun and shooting.  My favorite is the one I am shooting at the time....    Well, I never said I was smart, just having fun and enjoying our right to have what the Constitution says. 

Thig
Nam Vet 66/67 
For those old enough toknow I was RA.
On the road down Hwy 1 from Saigon in a 3/4 to my AO, I wondered, "Thig what da hell have you got yourself into now?" lol
POW/MIA  I would go back even now I just can't kick as high as I could then.

;D ::)My favorite is my two colts,1911 .45 semiy and 1917 wheel,but I also own a few more, such as .44 colt 7" blackhawk  an old henry tyhat belonged to my great grandfather{his name was apache kid)I changed the last part to what I am known by most of my friends today.(I was in the one everyone seems to have forgotten)semper fidelis.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2011, 10:47:29 AM »
Our outfit here uses all Rugers
And they're mostly Vaqueros (Bisleys, Birdheads, plow-handles) and a few Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks.
They are all chambered in .44 Mag & .44 Special too.

We ain't got nothin' agin other CAS calibers or real Colts---We just went the Ruger way.   8)

Mustang Gregg
Calamity JoAnne
Winchester Wade
Amy Oakley
Sassy Shawna
Commissioner Gordon
Russ T. Spittoon
Tin Star Tim

"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Advertising

« Reply #163 on: Today at 03:40:06 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »
I gotta go with my new consecutively #'d Taylor's Uberti-made 44-40 Remington '63 conversions. Two of the best finished/fitted revolvers I own, bar none. Been having a ball testing loads with them; BP as smokeless.
After my experience with Colt Open Top C&B 'wedgies', the idea of cartridge versions just didn't appeal. My trio of Uberti .44 Remington C&Bs has been nothing but joy.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline mrappe

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »
Anything but Ruger. Why, because they only outwardly resemble a cowboy gun. I like the feel of a half-cock notch. The Ruger is a strong and well made gun. I had one of the original Vaqueros but it never felt like a single action. I like Colt SAA and clones and also Colt and Rem cap and ball pistols.
God is fluxing me which is good but it is not fun.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2011, 09:10:30 PM »
I hear you and agree with you mrappe. That's why I like my schofields. The only colt clone I have is one modeled after the original style. Firing pin on the hammer and all that. It feels good in the hand.

I have two Rugers. An old Single Six in .357 and a Ruger redhawk .44 mag with a 5 inch barrel. Love them both, but the vaqueros just don't scratch my itch of authenticity.
Rick.

Offline c.o.jones

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
I OWN COLTS....I OWN CLONES.....I SHOOT RUGERS. I SHOOT FULL HOUSE  BLACK POWDER LOADS IN  .45 COLT. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY RUGERS. I CAN'T SAY THAT ABOUT MY OTHER HAND GUNS. MAYBE IF I SHOT SISSY LOADS, THE OTHERS WOULD HOLD UP.
NCOWS 1097
Kansas Vigilance Committee
SASS 5610 Life
NRA Life
VFW Life
USMC Forever

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2011, 06:17:54 AM »
I also shoot full-power black powder loads.  When I shot smokeyless, they were also always full-power.  My non Ruger guns have held up just fine after tens of thousands of rounds.  Needless to say, my Rugers have held up fine as well.  After 13 years of shooting my AWA Longhorn (45 Colt) I broke a spring a couple weeks ago (during maintenance, not at a shoot).  I consider that normal wear & tear, not a failure.

Matter of fact, the ONLY catastrophic failure I've ever had (of a cartridge gun) was while I was in the Army, when a firing pin broke in my Remington-Rand 1911A1 during a pre-combat inspection, while performing the Manual-At-Arms for my Commander!  Luckily, he knew how much of a stickler for maintenance I was (which was why he made me his Armorer and go-to guy for small  arms - before I went to Master Gunner school) and we both got a laugh out of it.  I'd still love to know how many times that firing pin had been hit by the hammer before it broke, since the last of the Remington-Rand pistols were made during WWII.

Just a note ... when I say full-power, I don't mean OVER spec loads like some think "warthog" means.  Having shot with C.O. Jones, I know that is also what he means.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2011, 07:53:22 AM »
I shoot 1875 Remingtons 5 1/2 in 45lc. Why I like the 75's I can't say. I would like a set of fully engraved Schofield's 5 in in nickle.

But I'm broke like everyone else.
Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »
Same here Steel Horse. No sissy loads in my guns. All of them are in .45 Colt and they are all factory full house loads. I do load my own but I use the full loads in them as well. If it ain't a kicking it ain't worth a lickin. LOL

I know Rugers will hold up to just about any load, but so far all the others in my collection have done the same. I don't baby any of my guns. They all get shot and shot a lot.
Rick.

Offline Wild Horse Hans

• Active citizen
  • I hate Pinkertons
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »
I have been shooting Uberti guns for about 30 uears now. Started with a 51 Navy and must have owned 20 different ones since then. For the most part they have been good to me. I have 2 Uberti SAA clones in .45 as I too will not own a handgun unless the first digit is a 4. And I shoot real loads. If I want to shoot a BB gun, I'll go out and buy one. I'm still waiting for a brace of 7 inch Schofields to arrive. Dying to get them also have a 5 inch Schofield and once you get used to them, you fall in love with them.
There is no better view of the world than from the back of a wild horse
BOSS #205

Offline BearBio

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »
I shoot Colts.  "nuff said!

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »
Hands down it is the EAA Bountyhunter. Why? Because it's the only one i own!!!
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2011, 07:55:49 PM »
Hands down it is the EAA Bountyhunter. Why? Because it's the only one i own!!!

Good answer  ;D
Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline maarty

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2011, 07:35:52 AM »
As much as I like shooting the rugers, a good buddy loans me his now and then (but they're in that girly caliber, you know the one under .40), I will have to say Uberti.

Just doing a laugh about full power loads. A guy in our club let me shoot his pistols yesterday to try them out cause he's looking at selling them, I asked him if he wanted me to shoot his loads or use mine and he told me to use my own. I don't think he realised I always load full power, he doesn't get out there much when we shoot which is why he's selling, and the look of horror on his face when I touched the first one off was priceless.
He always loads light.
After that we agreed to use mine in the rifles and his in the pistols.

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »
EAA Bounty Hunter because they are the only two that I own. Besides, They are inexpensive, well made and the parts that you need to "slick one up" are all interchangeable with the Colt SAA.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #176 on: August 25, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
Rugers shoot where and when you point them
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »
My most accurate pistols are my Uberti 1875 Remington (.45 Colt), and my Taylor's Remington New Model Army Conversion (.44-40).
My Favorite thought is my 5 inch barreled Uberti Schofield in .45 Colt. Can shoot black powder loads through her all day with no fuss!

Swede

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2011, 12:16:35 AM »
Some time in 94 of 5 went to a gun show in El Paso.  I guy was selling a 10 inch Super Blackhawk 44Mag for $250 with an uncle mikes shoulder holster for $250.  Had no use for a 44 mag, but the price was right.  I was hooked.  Next purchase was a Bisley BH, followed by a Vaquero 44 mag that I bought to start shooting Cowboy action.  Back then you only needed 1 pistol.  Picked up a rossi 92 and a baikal shotgun.  Basically Rugers are built like a tank and Ruger stands behind the product.  The on negative with the older Vaquero is the cylinder does not index for unloading.  The new vaqueros do.  They are also quite a bit lighter.

Rugers are the timex of CAS
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2011, 12:54:51 AM »
Cpt. Dan, I started with Ruger Old Vaqs, also in 44 M and if you didn't know, you can get the parts and make any old Vaquero index right with a Free-Spin Pawl set-up.  I suspect that Ruger purchased the rights to this design and then changed it ever-so-slightly, so now they call it their "patented" update to their guns.  It cost me $32 to do each of 3 Vaqueros I have had over the years.  I still have one ...

But NOW I have a NEW favourite toy for shooting CAS with BP ammo!  I recently bought a very new production Uberti model of the Colt 1871/1872 Open Top; Late Model (long grip like on the 1860 Army), chambered in 44 Special!  To keep thing as historically in line as possible, I have loaded and shot 44 Russian BP rounds 'thru it, and thanks to a couple great pards who hang out around here, Litl Rooster and Johnny McCrae, I now have a small quantity of 44 Colt cases that I'll be loading up and trying!

The 44 Russian cases I loaded up with 3F Goex as well as some with Pyrodex P, and use that charge to push a 200 gr. MAV Dutchman BigLube (tm) boolit.  I'll use the same boolit, but with more BP allowed by the longer (new model) 44 Colt brass.

Yee Haw!!

Longer brass = more room for BP
More BP = more smoke and fire

More smoke & fire = MORE fun for me!!!  (I'm an UN-repentant Warthog who doesn't like light poof-tink loads.  But ... warthog does NOT mean over-charged loads; it simply means using the highest power/heaviest safe published loads.)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com