Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 04:00:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Tall Tales (Moderator: Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.  (Read 26333 times)
Texas Lawdog
NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

" We're all Here because We're not all There".

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2009, 06:13:35 pm »

Leo, I ain't changing mine! Deal with it!

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?
Four-Eyed Buck
Top Active Citizen

Tusco LongRiders,

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2009, 06:28:16 pm »

I had a new Duster( 70) with the slant 6 and later on( quite a bit) a '71 Dart Swinger, also with the slant 6. The Swinger was my work car and once I got a few things fixed, it was a good one. Liked to cry the day I wrecked it in an ice storm. Slid into a parked car, nothing I could do but go along for the ride and watch the hood crumple up. Drove it home, but while I was in the house calling my insurance, the frame broke where the torsion bar went through it. Roll Eyes Shocked Sad Undecided

I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....
Texas Lawdog
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2009, 06:38:37 pm »

I drove a lot of Plymouths, Dodges, and even one Chrysler(79 Newport) as police cars. I only owned one Mopar, a 1974 New Yorker coupe with a 440 in it. I wore that car out between DFW and Houston every weekend for over a year to visit my my Dad in the hospital before he died. It was a runner, not very good gas milege though.

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2009, 07:05:17 pm »

but while I was in the house calling my insurance, the frame broke where the torsion bar went through it. Roll Eyes Shocked Sad Undecided

They sometimes did that when they were not wrecked, had one do that down by the farm, had to trailer it to Lincoln, ended up changing the stub frame cause it was cheaper than a different car and had more time an muscle back then than money. Roll Eyes

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2009, 09:35:48 pm »

I owned two different Dodge Tradesman vans whilst layin carpet.  The old style bodies on both.  One was 318 an the other was the 340.  I killed em both but it were my fault.  First one was a 71 an I didn't change out the radiator hoses after it had sat fer years.  The second one is embarrasing.   The fuel filter clogged so I replaced it in the parking lot of an auto parts store.  The fuel filter on the 73 was located UNDER the frame so when I changed it out the carb lost it's prime.  There weren't no gas station around an I didn't have anymore cash on hand ta buy strating fluid.  I had a can of Ronsonol in the van so I opened the doghouse an squirted that stuff in there.  I now know that naptha is very bad fer engines.  It washed the rings dry an that thing smoked an spit oil from that day forth.  But, ta Dodges benifit the thing got me from Missouri ta Hollister even after that.  That's a long way.

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 09:52:21 pm »

LOL, Del. Sounds like that VW would keep up with my car back then. I bought this one when I got out fof the Army in 1968 because I wanted to move a little. I hopped it up quite a bit and it really got along. Great fun, those 4 cyls were. I wasn't much bigger than you were, then.

* 59Cab.jpg (54.56 KB, 640x462 - viewed 167 times.)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2009, 11:24:47 pm »

LOL, Del. Sounds like that VW would keep up with my car back then. I bought this one when I got out fof the Army in 1968 because I wanted to move a little. I hopped it up quite a bit and it really got along. Great fun, those 4 cyls were. I wasn't much bigger than you were, then.

Yep, I had the heavy sway bars, the good shocks and tires, the solid steel motor mounts and the nasty clutch, most likey what screwed up my left hip.

I remember one time I was last in the drive, Dad grabbed it to run to the store, had the dame distributor as the Spyder Porshe had in it, about 35 defrees advance and all in by 1500 rpm, made an interestin' power curve. Our street was gravel, heard the engine rev and Dad let off the clutch to hit the pavement, heard it bog and he fed it the gas, heard the tire scream. Grin

Mom looked at me and tried not to laugh and said I should park it on the street or he'd get a ticket if I didn't. Roll Eyes Grin

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Wireman
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2009, 12:11:48 am »

Prolly the fastest car I ever had other than the BMW was ah 80 Buick Skylark.

We was doin' over 80 on the way back from "the Hunt" on Saddy night. Had ah rear tier go out and didn't even feel it till I slowed down to get off on the Ramp. The dang thing was actually flying.
Arcey
Underlord of Soot
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2009, 12:33:34 am »

Hit a gradual dip inna ’63 Falcon. She got airborne. Clutch ‘n brake pedals turnt inta rudder pedals. Hood, deck lid ‘n doors were control surfaces. I actually flew it home. ORF tower was really pissed.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:32 am »

This was my magic flying car:

Lucky I never rolled it end to end, came dang close once.  Big dip on a gravel road north of me I'd never been on, saw it coming, tried to slow and went airborne nose down, hit them front tires it almost went over. Roll Eyes

Was fine as long as you landed on it's ass with the tires spinning a it.  Used to be 6" 2", lost a half inch, lower four vertebrae are fused, and never had them worked on.  Dr. Hanke and I thinl it's the beasts fault.   More stupid stuff from younger days.  Should have had better seats, but they were better than VW, 64 ford Galixie Buckets some one gave me.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Wireman
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2009, 12:55:43 am »

We ustah due dat on nah dip at ah RRXing. Tossed ah feller in the back seat to the roof one time in the Montego . Tawlk about ah Rag.

If ya cut on the left turn signal and put yer foot on the brake pedal..... The Radio would play....with out the Keys, from the factory.

Anunnder cool car was ah Barracuda.... Man, was that back glass cool. The Push button shift was MADE ta do burnouts wid.

Sweet mud buggy!

Ya'll remember the VW Thing? The WWII kooble car?
Arcey
Underlord of Soot
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2009, 01:13:06 am »

I paid for it. The flyin’ car Wizards materialized in my bed room. I was atomized ‘n taken to Planet 13. There, I was thrown inta bed with Momma Whiz. Knowin’ my only way back home wuz ta wear ‘er out, I did. Last I saw they were werkin’ CPR on the wretched ole gal.

I passed out ‘n woke up in my bed back home. The Falcon in the drive, never ta fly again..

Del, the answer is I had ta take ‘nother pill ‘n can’t sleep. Might as well play with the….

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2009, 01:36:25 am »

Good luck, I'm off to bed.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Texas Lawdog
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2009, 02:15:20 am »

I think everyone did stupid stuff in their cars when they were young, I know that I did. Before he was elected Sheriff, my Dad knew all the LEO's in the county. I had to behave myself around town or he would be the first to hear about it.

Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2009, 11:33:07 am »

I done some things on them iron ponies that was plain dumb.  musta had an angel on ma shoulder.  Had to.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Ozark Tracker
Top Active Citizen

my granddad on his mule around 1907

« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2009, 11:50:52 am »

seems like that being young  brings on that devil may care  attitude with cars. Done too many things back then to hardly remember,  was awful lucky with them close calls.

We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2009, 12:06:13 pm »

The red one would move, you could peg the 90 mph speedometer and it would keep goin' faster for a bit.  Then it wouldn't go no faster and the speedometer would wobble.  Durn bugs would have a slight frontend lift at what was 'spossed to be right at 100 and lose enough areo-dynamics it slowed.  Least that's what the experts said.  Fast enough.

We worked on it one night in the shop after work, headed out on I-80 west, CB said I had a clear shot and lost a rear tire at about 85. Roll Eyes  Took my foot off the gas and rode it out.  Tire was shot, so was the rim, kept the shiny side up though.

Had the suspension set up so it would corner like a real sports car, fun little car, don't want one like that no more, might get in trouble.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2009, 03:35:10 pm »

seems like that being young  brings on that devil may care  attitude with cars. Done too many things back then to hardly remember,  was awful lucky with them close calls.

In motorsicklin they got a thing called a poker run.  Ya follow a route an stop at certain places ta draw a card.  At the end they have prizes fer the highest an lowest hand.  I pulled outta the second ta last stop which was on a windy mountain road an was stuck bahind at least a hunnert other bikes.  Pulled her over crost the double yella an nailed it.  Leanin that thing in ways it weren't made ta be leaned an throwin sparks the whole way.  Wore off one of the exhaust brackets and the primary case fluid plug.  I passed em all but man that was STUPID.  That's one of the reasons I've retired from 2 wheeled activities.  Somethin gets inta ya.  (but it was fun)

Roland Deschain

Texas Lawdog
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2009, 03:40:24 pm »

Hopefully we get smarter as we get older and not take any dangerous chances.

Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2009, 04:20:43 pm »

Oh, I'm Johnny Cautious these days.  I just look back an wonder how in the world I'm still here.  My main mission these days is ta make it ta bed at night an wake up in the mornin with Lil next ta me.  Seem ta be doin ok with that so far...

Roland Deschain

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2009, 05:43:00 pm »

Played in the snow with that beast:

as much as mud.  Had a set of chains slightly to small to go in the tires, could not get then hooked.  Simple, pull the cores out, and toss a sissiors jack or floor jack uner it and lift up the back, put them on and re-air them to about 10 lbs.  Never came loose.

We'd hit the back roads and they ones that wern't plowed sometimes had drifts 3 feet deep or so, just don't slow down, hit it and tabbogon over them on the floor pan, could be 100 feet long and you'd still make it fine.

Was fun to do with someone whoed never done it before, freaked em out when they could feel the floor move up under their feet. Grin

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2009, 06:12:34 pm »

Leo, didn't find the exact add I wanted, but this one will do:

and now you know why nice girls don't date guys with Nash's. Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

1949 Nash Ambasador ad, the full size one.  Note it had coil springs all the way around as well as it having unii-body construction.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Texas Lawdog
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2009, 07:34:45 pm »

I remember seeing the old black and white Nash squad cars on Superman.

Leo Tanner
RATS #401 STORM 330
Top Active Citizen

Life is Good

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2009, 08:44:08 pm »

That's the equivalent of "don't date boys with vans" taday.

Roland Deschain

Wireman
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2009, 10:56:26 pm »

Da Buick was ah Hatchback.  Shocked

Roll Eyes

Lips Sealed
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Tall Tales (Moderator: Silver Creek Slim)  |  Topic: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies. « previous next »
Jump to: