Author Topic: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.  (Read 86854 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2009, 04:41:06 PM »
We had a DPS trooper in my hometown that had a sliver Charger like that one, but it had a 426 Hemi. Those little old 8.00X14 tires would not last long.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2009, 05:23:14 PM »
I'll bet not.  Man them things could scoot.  I had a 318 Scamp that would grab rubber in 3 gears if ya had bald tires.  The official name of the Scamp on the manual was Duster/Valiant.  It was just a Dart with the Plymouth name on it.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
The Dodge version of the Valiant was the Lancer. It came out after the Valiant. It evolved into the Dart. I remember the Dodge Demon to go along with the Duster.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 03:31:40 PM »

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2009, 05:36:53 PM »
We had a DPS trooper in my hometown that had a sliver Charger like that one, but it had a 426 Hemi. Those little old 8.00X14 tires would not last long.

That Charger only had the 318 auto, but someone had put a four barrel carb on it.  They also added a rod and coil reverb unit in the trunk, for the radio. ( Found that out the first time I hit a railroad track a little too fast.  CCCCLLLAANNNGGG!!!)  
I was just a late teenager at the time and just like the looks of the car.  I especially like the Electro Luminescent dash on the thing.  It was also my first experience with hiding headlights.  They never failed while I owned the car!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2009, 05:42:37 PM »
I had one of those factory reverb units in my 66 Pontiac GTO, you're right about the noise going over the RR tracks.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »
Those vacuum operated headlight covers could be fun at times.  When one went by with only one side open we would say "padidle'.  iF You was ridiin with a guy ya got sock him in the arm.  If you was ridin with a girl ya got ta kiss her.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2009, 05:46:57 PM »
What I used to love was the rubber burners, used to cruise, find a car jacked up, would pull up to the light and point at the car and act like I was laughin at it.  A bit of a pysic out esp if they had friends along.  Light would turn green, they'd burn their rubber and most often look at my tail lights. ;D

Horse power don't do no good unless you got traction to use it.  I only had about 125 hp so I needed to use it the best I could and not waste it ruinin' the tires.  Course I got rid of all the isulation, sound deadnin' under coatin' back seat and most anything else I didn't need. ;D

Course I didn't weigh as much back then either. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2009, 05:51:13 PM »
Del, There is a lot of us that were skinny when we were young. I weighed about 180 when I was in HS.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2009, 06:03:48 PM »
There's a lot ta be said fer fat an happy.  Ain't no denyin it.

Roland Deschain

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2009, 06:07:29 PM »
OK right thread: ;D

Worst thing about them durn fold in/fold out headlights was when the wrecked em and you fixed em, they'd watch them to make sure they opened and closed at the same speed.  Most didn't before the wreck but they never bothered to check.  Only did that in the TV comercials.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »
Leo, I ain't changing mine! Deal with it!

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »
I had a new Duster( 70) with the slant 6 and later on( quite a bit) a '71 Dart Swinger, also with the slant 6. The Swinger was my work car and once I got a few things fixed, it was a good one. Liked to cry the day I wrecked it in an ice storm. Slid into a parked car, nothing I could do but go along for the ride and watch the hood crumple up. Drove it home, but while I was in the house calling my insurance, the frame broke where the torsion bar went through it. ::) :o :( :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2009, 06:38:37 PM »
I drove a lot of Plymouths, Dodges, and even one Chrysler(79 Newport) as police cars. I only owned one Mopar, a 1974 New Yorker coupe with a 440 in it. I wore that car out between DFW and Houston every weekend for over a year to visit my my Dad in the hospital before he died. It was a runner, not very good gas milege though.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2009, 07:05:17 PM »
but while I was in the house calling my insurance, the frame broke where the torsion bar went through it. ::) :o :( :-\

They sometimes did that when they were not wrecked, had one do that down by the farm, had to trailer it to Lincoln, ended up changing the stub frame cause it was cheaper than a different car and had more time an muscle back then than money. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2009, 09:35:48 PM »
I owned two different Dodge Tradesman vans whilst layin carpet.  The old style bodies on both.  One was 318 an the other was the 340.  I killed em both but it were my fault.  First one was a 71 an I didn't change out the radiator hoses after it had sat fer years.  The second one is embarrasing.   The fuel filter clogged so I replaced it in the parking lot of an auto parts store.  The fuel filter on the 73 was located UNDER the frame so when I changed it out the carb lost it's prime.  There weren't no gas station around an I didn't have anymore cash on hand ta buy strating fluid.  I had a can of Ronsonol in the van so I opened the doghouse an squirted that stuff in there.  I now know that naptha is very bad fer engines.  It washed the rings dry an that thing smoked an spit oil from that day forth.  But, ta Dodges benifit the thing got me from Missouri ta Hollister even after that.  That's a long way.

Roland Deschain

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 09:52:21 PM »
LOL, Del. Sounds like that VW would keep up with my car back then. I bought this one when I got out fof the Army in 1968 because I wanted to move a little. I hopped it up quite a bit and it really got along. Great fun, those 4 cyls were. I wasn't much bigger than you were, then.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2009, 11:24:47 PM »
LOL, Del. Sounds like that VW would keep up with my car back then. I bought this one when I got out fof the Army in 1968 because I wanted to move a little. I hopped it up quite a bit and it really got along. Great fun, those 4 cyls were. I wasn't much bigger than you were, then.

Yep, I had the heavy sway bars, the good shocks and tires, the solid steel motor mounts and the nasty clutch, most likey what screwed up my left hip.

I remember one time I was last in the drive, Dad grabbed it to run to the store, had the dame distributor as the Spyder Porshe had in it, about 35 defrees advance and all in by 1500 rpm, made an interestin' power curve. Our street was gravel, heard the engine rev and Dad let off the clutch to hit the pavement, heard it bog and he fed it the gas, heard the tire scream. ;D

Mom looked at me and tried not to laugh and said I should park it on the street or he'd get a ticket if I didn't. ::) ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Wireman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2009, 12:11:48 AM »
Prolly the fastest car I ever had other than the BMW was ah 80 Buick Skylark.

We was doin' over 80 on the way back from "the Hunt" on Saddy night. Had ah rear tier go out and didn't even feel it till I slowed down to get off on the Ramp. The dang thing was actually flying.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2009, 12:33:34 AM »
Hit a gradual dip inna ’63 Falcon. She got airborne. Clutch ‘n brake pedals turnt inta rudder pedals. Hood, deck lid ‘n doors were control surfaces. I actually flew it home. ORF tower was really pissed.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:32 AM »
This was my magic flying car:

Lucky I never rolled it end to end, came dang close once.  Big dip on a gravel road north of me I'd never been on, saw it coming, tried to slow and went airborne nose down, hit them front tires it almost went over. ::)

Was fine as long as you landed on it's ass with the tires spinning a it.  Used to be 6" 2", lost a half inch, lower four vertebrae are fused, and never had them worked on.  Dr. Hanke and I thinl it's the beasts fault.   More stupid stuff from younger days.  Should have had better seats, but they were better than VW, 64 ford Galixie Buckets some one gave me.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com