Author Topic: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.  (Read 86861 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 01:34:55 PM »
My uncle had a Marlin. Out of the Army, he went west intendin’ ta relocate in the PRK. Ran outtah gas ‘n money in Tulsa. That’s where they stayed.

The limited edition stuff. Always thought they were the beginnin’ of the end. They were awakened to aero. Ford would make a limited edition thing, Chrysler would counter. Went on for awhile then settled out. GM got back into it. Downsizin’ the cars came. The GM folks used everythin’ ‘cept Monte Carlos. They were aero junk. Nose was all wrong. The Chevrolet Division started whinin’.

NASCAR let Chevrolet add an LE nose. The Elliotts still blew ‘em away with ‘stock’  Thunderbirds. Established GM folks were enterin’ Fords. Then NASCAR let the Chevrolets put an LE backlight ‘n deck lid on their cars. Petty was still a big deal ‘n he were runnin’ Pontiacs by then. They did ‘nuff whinin’ NASCAR let ‘em put an LE nose ‘n backlight on the Gran Prix. Ta see either on the street was very rare. 

All that led to the twisted, down-force things of the last generation ‘n the new car. The new car is kindah screwed up, aero ‘n suspension.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 01:50:05 PM »
Weren't the Gand Prix just a hopped up Monte?  Ma friends dad had one, the old fool got drunk one night and dragged it along a gaurd rail on his way home then parked it on the lawn.  Didn't remember a thing in the mornin an stopped drinkin right then an there.  Poor car was a mess.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
MC, Regal, Cutlass, Grand Pricks all basically the same car, yeah.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:40:43 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 02:19:50 PM »
MC, Regal, Cutlass, Grand Pricks all basically the same car, yeah.

If I remember right they called it back then the B chassis, the A being the full size.  For the most part a reskined Chevell,Malibu and all the rest of it's more expensive cuzzin's.  Chassis parts were pretty much the same. 

Same with the Falcon/early Mustangs although the Mustang had a tigher steering gear box.

Camero/Firebird was based off the Chevy II/Nova, but Buick, and Olds didn't go with that one.  Later Mustanges were based on the Torino, then the Pinto, but think they have their own chassis now or they may have stayed with the Pinto based one, been out of the bizzeness to long. :)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 02:24:56 PM »
First I remember bein’ a Charger was ’66 when the fight between Ford ‘n Chrysler in NASCAR was beginnin’ to escalate.

Ole boy ‘cross the street bought one. Kindah a pinkish burgundy, looked faded brand new, with a milk white interior. ’66 Coronet with the ‘fast-back’ roof on it was all.

This was my ’66 Charger.  Had it for a few years startin’ about ’70.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »
Thanks, I thought that was the case.  
I'll never ferget the mornin when the guy was yellin "SCOTT!  Did you take my car?"  He was in fer a good whippin an I got ta be the lucky feller ta say, "No sir, you did that".  Guess I was about 16 an that dude was skerry.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »

Back in 76-77 the boss had one like it behind the shop, 318-auto, ended up almost giving it away cause nobody wanted it, was decent for one it's age.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
‘Bout as I remember it, Del. Rebodied stuff for marketin’. As long as the customer fell for it.

The PT Cruiser. A Neon station wagon but a bunch of Oprah watchers went Ga Ga for ‘em.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »
‘Bout as I remember it, Del. Rebodied stuff for marketin’. As long as the customer fell for it.

The PT Cruiser. A Neon station wagon but a bunch of Oprah watchers went Ga Ga for ‘em.

The 69-71 AMX was just a Javilin with the section for the back seat left out making it shorter.  didn't fly, the Mustang proto-type had no back seat, story I heard is Iacoca, said nice car, but it needs at least a small back seat or it won't sell.  If so I think he was right.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 03:03:41 PM »
Ain’t goin’ against Iacocca.  Smarter’n me. Do know the back seat in the 5.0 was big ‘nuff ta sit Andi in when she was out a baby seat. Ali, five years older, was cramped. My brief case when I drove it to werk fit.  That was about it.

Folks would say they loved my sports car. Thanked ‘em but tolt ‘em there weren’t ever a sports car with a back seat. That was from Bill Boyer, a developer of the original Thunderbird.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 03:15:27 PM »
T'was the way I learned it, never owned one but hung around a lot of those who did, the MG type crowd did not like folks when called there Mustang or Camero a sports car.

Only reason I never owned one was, well, the back seat thing.  I HS we a lot of times took my 49 Ford cause more of us would fit in it. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 03:18:44 PM »
The Alabama State Patrol got some AMX's one year. There's one of them at the Museum at Talledega all decked out and also a Mustang  Alabama State Patrol car.

Speakin' of Police Cars, found this yesterday, don't 'member where.

Said it was legit, the town used them for meter maids and for radar set-ups and let the bigger stuff do the chasin'.  Kinda cute if you ask me. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 03:20:25 PM »
Did ya atchaly menion a part time cruiser here?

What I know as fact... part time cruiser versus standard mailbox, mailbox wins even if traffic is only goin 30 er so.  Saw it with ma own two eyes.  There was pieces of that car all over the road an the mailbox was standin tough.  It weren't even a high speed deal.  What a POS them things are.  an they're ugly as sin too.

Roland Deschain

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 03:41:16 PM »
Never werked radar. Hated it. Revenue generator. The cars marked ‘radar’ as  ‘warnin’’ ta the public were ‘n are a lie. By the time the ‘pubic’ saw ‘em they’d already been caught. No sport in that. Love ta see radar on my street. But do it honest inna unmarked car.

Duh beach had one the radar ‘Your Speed Is’ things set on Edwin t’other day. Limit is 25, 10 too slow. All’s I can say is the truck’s speedometer is just ‘bout right.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 03:46:46 PM »
Got a spot I pass every day on the way to work that's out of town, bypass between 77 and I-80, just over the hill on one side and around the curve on the other, least once a week the Deputies or Staters are out there, don't need no un-marked, time they see em they're caught.

They got another one if I go through town around a curve on a one way street, they man that one on Sunday mornings and get folks on there way home from church to catch the football games, one a the Lincoln cops I know told me that.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 03:57:19 PM »
I never got the point of them "yer speed is" things.  We have a fixed one an a mobile on a trailor.  They don't make nobody slow down cause they don't write tickets.  More often than not, folks use em fer fun ta see how fast they can go.  I gotta speedometer in ma truck and learned how ta read it years ago.  I don't see why I have ta have another one on the side of the road.  Odds are that if I'm goin too fast I already knew it cause I glance at ma dash board every now an again.

Roland Deschain

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2009, 04:07:45 PM »
More often than not, folks use em fer fun ta see how fast they can go. 

Give the man a cigar.

The troopers have a paved place off the shoulder where 264 runs under Va. Beach Blvd. east bound Reckon it’s the same everywhere. They nail the tourists who don’t have the time to hang ‘round for court. The limit is 55 ‘n on that stretch 70 makes ya feel like yer tied to a post. 70 is normal in traffic. 76 is Reckless.

I’m a cop, retired. Said before it’ll never wash off. But radar ‘n artificially low limits are a rip. The city ‘n state gets their cut. If that was it I wouldn’t object. But yer insurance company knows ‘n the rates go up forever..

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2009, 04:12:03 PM »
I worked radar cars and Accident investigation on a government grant. It freed the regular units to answer calls and I would respond as a back-up when I wasn't busy. I didn't start writing till about 12 mph over the limit. I still wrote all I wanted to and then some. People normally don't pay attention to their speed. Their minds are otherwise occupied.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »
That's cool. I like the early ones.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2009, 04:39:36 PM »
Don't drive over the limit no more except by accident and then not more than 3-4 over.  Younger days, 55 mph and a CB and a hot rod VW, yep, esp out in the open sandhill roads, might see another car every 10-15 minutes.  Came over a hill one time running' a bit over 85, almost ran over the trooper in front, slowed down real quick.  After 8-10 miles of 55, one of the first Mustang II Cobra's headed the other way a a good clip.  Was far enough behind him he had room to uey before I got to him.  As he went over the hil I opened it back up. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com