Author Topic: Good sources for '70s PC Bowies?  (Read 12709 times)

Offline DarbyFett

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Good sources for '70s PC Bowies?
« on: July 27, 2009, 04:24:14 AM »
I am wanting a period correct Bowie for my mid 1870s persona. Shorter blade(6") and a stag handle. I would prefer a Non Pakistani or Chinese carbon steel. Funds are low. Any help?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Good sources for '70s PC Bowies?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:00:07 AM »
With caveats like 'funds are low' and such - you're not going to find a whole helluva lot that isn't made overseas...

However - not all of the overseas-made stuff is of low quality, and you may want to reconsider, if you're serious about finding a good knife at a fairly reasonable cost.

Take a look at 'Atlanta Cutlery Company' and their offerings at www.atlantacutlery.com

There may be something there that you can use, and since they seem to be the supplier to several sutlers and dealers - their prices aren't marked up quite as high as you can find elsewhere.

Alternatively - give some thought to one of the most commonly-used knives on the American Frontier - the simple butcher knife or skinning knife.

Thousands upon thousands were sold and traded and they were a staple to be found pretty much everywhere.

You'll find them today in thrift stores and flea markets, so look for one in good shape, with a blade style that'll actually be 'useful', since the bigger Bowies were somewhat limited in their actual 'usability' and the Toothpicks were a sort of one-trick pony.

All 'you' need to do, is to build (or have made) an appropriate beaded scabbard, and you're set.

You can wrap some rawhide on the handle - you can add brass pins - or you can leave it unadorned - but if you really want something low-cost, carbon steel and 'Made in America' - then this may prove to be the best option.

You'll see illustrations of them in Remington's and Russell's artwork - and you'll see them being worn by both cowboys as well as soldiers.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 11:32:59 AM »
Howdy DarbyFett,

You should check out Crazy Crow too.

http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=841-000-000

This is the link to their knife listings.  I think that their knives are mostly imports, but they are well made.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:28:14 AM »

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:45:20 PM »
Howdy DarbyFett,

This is the link to their knife listings.  I think that their knives are mostly imports, but they are well made.

+1

And don't forget the gun shows, pawn shops, etc.  Every now and then you'll run across a very reasonably priced knife that just exactly fills the bill.  For example, here's an obviously hand-made knife I found on the bargain table at a gun show.  The scabbard was falling apart, so I made one.  As I recall, I paid $30 for it.

Offline DarbyFett

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 03:11:47 PM »
With caveats like 'funds are low' and such - you're not going to find a whole helluva lot that isn't made overseas...

However - not all of the overseas-made stuff is of low quality, and you may want to reconsider, if you're serious about finding a good knife at a fairly reasonable cost.

Take a look at 'Atlanta Cutlery Company' and their offerings at www.atlantacutlery.com

There may be something there that you can use, and since they seem to be the supplier to several sutlers and dealers - their prices aren't marked up quite as high as you can find elsewhere.

Alternatively - give some thought to one of the most commonly-used knives on the American Frontier - the simple butcher knife or skinning knife.

Thousands upon thousands were sold and traded and they were a staple to be found pretty much everywhere.

You'll find them today in thrift stores and flea markets, so look for one in good shape, with a blade style that'll actually be 'useful', since the bigger Bowies were somewhat limited in their actual 'usability' and the Toothpicks were a sort of one-trick pony.

All 'you' need to do, is to build (or have made) an appropriate beaded scabbard, and you're set.

You can wrap some rawhide on the handle - you can add brass pins - or you can leave it unadorned - but if you really want something low-cost, carbon steel and 'Made in America' - then this may prove to be the best option.

You'll see illustrations of them in Remington's and Russell's artwork - and you'll see them being worn by both cowboys as well as soldiers.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Well funds aren't TOO low. When I wrote that, I had Wild Rose in mind. Though the fervor has died down, I am kind of a knife knut and have my share of custom blades. My main concern is a lot of the bowies i've been looking at have too wicked of a clip point. But I really havrn't seen any period bowies(just pictures with the handle sticking out of the belt...taunting me), so I am unsure what blade shape would be most PC.

I like this Sheffield a lot, but once again the clip point seems a little extreme. But the handle is exactly what I am looking for. I would need to whip up a new sheath though
http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/info_5.html

The persona I am working on at the moment isn't so much a hunter, but a young hooligan. And while his pistol would be his first choice, he might want a fightin' knife as back up.

Howdy DarbyFett,

I was looking at their selection last night, and I really like one of the bare blades. Might give it a try.

+1

And don't forget the gun shows, pawn shops, etc.  Every now and then you'll run across a very reasonably priced knife that just exactly fills the bill.  For example, here's an obviously hand-made knife I found on the bargain table at a gun show.  The scabbard was falling apart, so I made one.  As I recall, I paid $30 for it.

I always seem to forget the gun shows, when I finally see a billboard advertising one, its too late. I will check out some pawn shops when I have the chance though.

I like that sheath!

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »
Chuck Burrows' work is superb - you can see my own in the thread titled - 'Now, That's a Knife!' and several other folks chimed in after that one was posted.

The thing about choosing a knife is how very 'personal' one is - so handle cmfort and blade shape are paramount.

When mine was built, it was basically a Frontier-era Randall Model 1 Fighting Knife, since that was what I've carried and used for over three decades.

Don't discount the lowly butcher/skinning knife, though - they were ubiquitous - mostly because they were handy.

If you're basing your Impression in the '70's - a Colt or Remington Conversion would've been common - as well as one of the older Bowies - but the era of the large Bowie/Toothpick as a fighting weapon died out quickly after the Civil War.

Gun shows, antique malls, flea markets, garage sales, swap meets - all these venues can and do often have sheath knives.

Good Hunting!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline DarbyFett

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 07:09:29 PM »
That is a beautiful knife. Chucks work is breathtaking, and as is usually the problem with breathtaking work, way out of my price range.

I know what you mean about about the knife being a 'personal', Like most knife fiends, I have yet to find THE knife. but I have come close with a Puukko I had made in Finland. My most expensive custom to date.

I do indeed carry a 1851 RM conversion.

Any thoughts on that Sheffield I posted?

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 07:18:07 PM »
The Sheffield knife is very period appropriate.  I would consider it an excellent choice.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 07:30:58 PM »
Shiny blades like this sheffield are really attractive, but I would suggest looking at toms ome the damscus blades. If one found a good shape with a basic leather holster, I think that the holster would last until it could either be modified or an entirely new sheath made ..... what I am thinkin of is like the Damascus Hunting Knife for less than $70.00  on this webpage ....

http://thunderknives.com/index.html
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 08:26:08 PM »
as is usually the problem with breathtaking work, way out of my price range.

Not necessarily - Howdy Darby I got your email and will send you an answer tomorrow - if you don;t get it give me a call tomorrow evening..........

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline DarbyFett

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Obviously I went ahead and emailed Chuck, I cant wait for that reply tomorrow ;D

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 12:22:15 AM »
Here's one example of an 1870's style I did that I did with matching sheath that is similar to that Sheffield you linked to....

This is the original I based the knife on...

BTW - send me you phone number just in case we don't connnect..........

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 12:42:06 AM »
What a nicely shaped knife .... the blade length to width ratio looks just right, and the blade looks like a working blade and not just a prop for a 40s B Grade shoot-em-up flick ...

And the sheath is a work of art in itself!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »
As far as mass produced and lower costs the beaver tail dag with beaded sheath i got from Atlanta Cutlery is very nice and at 34.00 was worth ever penny,sharpest damn thing i ever saw and i mean double razor sharp!

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »
Good lookin' knife & sheatlh in a good looking display ... Nice!

NCOWS #3403

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 01:03:37 AM »
That thing off to the side i a big ole gord,dried and seeds rattle inside when ya shake it, For herdin animals.I raised bullfrogs once and herded them up with it and sold them to delmonicos resteruant.You all wanna buy in???? :D :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 01:17:28 AM »
Sorry Rick,

Frogs alll over the wold witl be relieved that I consider frog's legs, albeit a delicacy, are relegated to a survibal food along with banana slugs, snake, wood grubs and some forms of sushi .... LOL

NCOWS #3403

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 02:09:43 PM »
I know one thing Chuck Burrows is in a place of his own...
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 01:36:36 AM »

You can find stuff like the top pix "Old Tyme Bowie" (it is marked that on the blade) pretty cheap at yard sales, antique stores and gun shows.

My favorites are the 3 knives, all made by J. Jacobs. The one that looks rougher I got directly from him in about 1985. His work has improved. They really keep great edge. the oldest one I paid all of $40, the biggest one set me back about $150

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com