Author Topic: Did You Know This?  (Read 4457 times)

44caliberkid

Did You Know This?
« on: July 23, 2009, 06:36:11 PM »
   On another forum there was a conversation about who makes the best C&B repro revolvers.  Everyone was voicing their likes and dislikes and one fellow said that USFA made really nice ones, but very pricey.   Well I'd never heard that and checked USFA's website, no, no C&B's on there.   So I posted that was news to me and some other guys agreed.   The original poster insisted a friend had gotten an 1851 navy that was USFA, so I e-mail Jim Davis who is the head of the Replica Percussion Revolvers Collector's Ass'n. and asked if he'd heard of them.   here is his response.

"USFA had planned to produce an extensive line of the percussion revolvers years back but discontinued the idea in favor of the single action cartridge guns.  They produced a few 1851 Navy and 1860 Army revolvers.  These were Uberti revolvers that were ordered in the white and finished at USFA.  They produced a few engraved models as well and also a 3rd Model Dragoon.  I have an 1851 Navy NIB and an 1860 Army NIB from their custom shop that was fitted with Stag grips.  Beautiful revolvers.  A couple of 1851 Navy revolvers sold on Gun Broker a while back for around $850 each."

Jim Davis

Boy, I'd have loved to have gotten in on the ground floor with those babies.  I suppose you could send a Uberti to Turnbull and have him refinish it, probably cost $850 too.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Did You Know This?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
I remember the 51 being on USFA's website eight or nine years ago.  If I remember it was $750.00 which was way out of my price range back then.  In fact, a $750.00 51 would be out of my price range today.  Maybe that's why they made so few.

Offline Ironheart

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 11:27:04 AM »
I remember the 51 being on USFA's website eight or nine years ago.  If I remember it was $750.00 which was way out of my price range back then.  In fact, a $750.00 51 would be out of my price range today.  Maybe that's why they made so few.
Why not go this route  sir? [/img]]http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FR18511[/ftp]p/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FR18511]http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/esho[ftp=ftp://http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FR18511]http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FR18511[/ftp]p/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FR18511[/b]

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:04:32 PM »

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »
Yep, I knew that.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:09:09 AM »
I didn't know that, but the link won't work, sorry.

Now that Ruger has kiboshed the Old Army, I wonder who will step up to teh plate to offer an alternative thats easily competitive in cowboy shooting. No body really shoots anything other than ROAs down under (no one thats serious that is).
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 05:39:03 AM »
USFA showed a '58 Remington that they were going to produce . . . and then never did.

I'd say the best available is the "Shooters Model" produced by Pietta.   Though I can't see how it could shoot much better then my stock Pietta '58s that shoot GREAT   :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 07:19:45 AM »
Yep I did, They are/ were US finished Uberties here is one of the 51 Navies.

Two years ago I happened on to a guy selling a USPFA prototype Richards ( I never set it back down as I reached for my check book )
I've also seen photos of the finished prototype Remington's they like the Navy's, Army's and Richards are still birthed...
Though they did make a few... they say, about 50 Navy's , less of the 1860 Army's and I know of three Richards.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
Re: Did You Know This? Sacramento Black Powder Help?
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 09:17:09 AM »
I was lucky enough to find a pair of Stainless 5 1/2" ROAs that had been tottallly tricked .... faux stag grips, Uncle Mike Nipples, unbelievably smooth actions ....

The only problem is that I have never fired black powder before. I have put out feelers around Sacramento to try to find some black powder afficianado that would meet me at a range near Sacramento (there aren't too many left)and watch me as I load and shoot them for the first time ... and either share shooting my pistols, or bring their own .....without a single reply being replied to me ....

So I am planning to take them down to the Plainfield Incident on Saturday for some practice sessions .... and hope that this will work out  .....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 09:32:02 AM »
I must be missing something about the point of the link posted by Ironheart.  It doesn't work, but it is a link to Traditions.  Traditions is just the economy line of Piettas.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:43:28 AM »
I tried to access it too (twice) but the page kept coming up that the link could not be found .... I thought it was just my antiquated computer ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Jamie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 01:12:41 PM »
I remember seeing an 1860 Army and an 1851 Navy model, both in the white in a store in Rochester.  They mostly offered high end stuff there at prices that were appropriately high end.  I remember being in there once when they had a complete set of NIB Ruger #3's - all calibers offered, one of each, about 4 or five years after they were discontinued.  I drooled.  At any rate, they had these two revolvers sitting there, and the 1851 was $350 and the 1860 was $375.  When I asked about them, and why they were over 3 times as much as the normal replica cap and ball, I was told (with a sneer and in extremely scornful tones) that they were United States Firearms guns and as such were nothing like the normal replica.  He made a few other comments  questioning my ability to tell quality when I saw it, and I left, never to return.  Mind you, they were in the white, no finish whatsoever, though the grips were finished.  I wasn't impressed, but I didn't handle the guns either.  Maybe the internal finish and tuning were such that they were way above the run of the mill replica.  I don't know how many they sold that way, but as firm as that sticks in my mind, I can absolutely state that that's what the guy said, and what was written on the cards with the guns. 
Purely speculation, but it may be that USFA may have sold off it's remaining inventory in the white when they quit making them.  Who knows?  They were supposed to be new.
Jamie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com