Author Topic: Engraving...sorta  (Read 19134 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Engraving...sorta
« on: July 19, 2009, 02:03:12 PM »
I'm looking for someone who still has one of those old pantograph and stylus engraving machines.  I have a couple of  small metal items I want engraved and all I can find anymore are laser engravers or hand engraving.

Any help will be appreciated.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Engraving...sorta
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 02:32:41 PM »
Hate ta suggest this ta ya ‘cuz I like ya. A l’il ennyways.

Some of the junk/trinket kiosks in the malls still use ‘em. Might find one nearby.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 03:10:03 PM »
It's worth a look. Thanks.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:39:19 PM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
I heard that Mar-sell Mar-so was good at pantographin. 
Mebe he has a website.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 05:09:36 PM »
I ain't heard much about Marcel since Ed Sullivan ain't on TV no more!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 05:46:16 PM »
Ed aint much a anywhere anymore.  But it was a really good shoo...

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 05:46:46 PM »
Greetings Forty Rod -
The last time I had something engeved I went to "things remembered" in the mall http://www.thingsremembered.com/
(search for "engrave)

They claim they still "engrave while you shop" so you might wish to give them a call and see what they have to offer.

yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 01:36:51 AM »
Probally gonna get someone mad at me, but laser engraving is about as tacky looking to me as, well, I'm stumped, can't think of anything more tacky looking on a gun than laser engraving.  Looks worse than press checkering and roll engraving on a 1970's vintage Remongton shotgun. :P
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 08:16:47 AM »
y'll don't suppose 4T is gettin' trophy and plaques for all of us?
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 08:39:06 AM »
Naw, if he did he'sd a just scratched our names on them with a screw-driver. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »
Duh beach gimme ‘n the fat lady a trophy fer winnin’ a road rally. Looked like someone had taken an old bowlin’ trophy er sumthin’ apart, bolted a brake caliper painted silver on top it ‘n scratched ‘Winner, Va. Beach Road Rally’ whatever date it was onna hunk of alumimum..

Ain’t meanin’ a sloppy job engravin’, I mean it looked like someone used an ice pick on it.   
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 10:28:12 AM »
Arcey, that sounds like a "flea market" special allright.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 11:05:10 AM »
Heh, heh, heh…. Sher iz hell wuz!

She wuz sher one happy girl ta walk up ‘n take it. Stayed in the book case fer a long time. Reckon it’s what it means more’n what it is.

Most the shootin’ trophys are long gone. Plaques stacked one on ‘nother in the closet. Certificates, won’t say……..  Want one them clean shoot wooden nickels from Pungo ‘n I’m gonna get one. Still have a scarf  with red ‘n white stripes ‘n stars onna field of blue I took away from a club years ago out where I kin see it ennytime. It ain’t goin’ nowhere. One of my most prized.

Had golf trophies. Stuff I got showin’ the ‘Bird. N’er got ennythin’ fer sailin’ but ‘participant’ tee shirts ‘n one of those got Ali in trouble it school.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 12:09:36 PM »
Arcey golfs?  Nuttin wrong with it just would never have guessed.

I never got a lot of trophies.  I sent a congressman 20 bucks once and his people sent me an engraved gavel.  Apparently I'm a part of some important committee.  Apparently there's not much ta discuss cause I haven't heard from them in over 3 years.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »
Leo, You may be part of a secret subcommittee and not even know it!

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »
Leo, You may be part of a secret subcommittee and not even know it!

maybe he's the chairman of a subversive group.   I mean he's got the gavel :o
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 12:39:44 PM »
I mean it looked like someone used an ice pick on it.   

A man I worked with had a .38-40 Bisley that would have been an 85% gun except for a similar treatment.  His dad had worked for the NP and had a lot of time off during the winter months and 'engraved' the gun in his spare time.  He wouldn't have sold or traded the gun for anything.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 01:18:58 PM »
Unnerstan’ that, Rod dude.

Arcey golfed, past tense. Sold the clubs to a fellah name ah Les. He goes by ‘Beartooth’ these days.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 01:58:21 PM »
Just a momentary serious thought: I collected a lot of trophies and plaques over the years and for a dozen years before I retired I was associated with an outfit that gave out trophies for everydangthing.  I had a couple of dozen scattered all over my office and the other agents had more than I did.  Some were little-bitty things a few inches high, but one or two were nearly six feet tall. Total for the whole place combined ran maybe three hundred various trophies.

One of my client couples came by one day and as I was on the phone they walked around looking at all of the pretties.  When I finished the wife said they sure wished they could find the money for trophies for hr husbands Boy Scout Troop.  Lots of good kids who came from less affluent homes and most couldn't even raise money for complete uniforms.

In took a couple down, pried the engraved plate and company logos, etc. of and handed them across.  He found out that they screwed together and figured they get four trophies out of those two.

I told him I'd call him with some more in a week or so.  next sales meeting I told the folks there what I'd done and asked for donations.

We almost filled the guy's Suburban with trophies and all they had to do was take them apart and reassemble them get new logos and plates, and have them engraved.  They even managed to get that stuff sponsored, too.  I figure they got 300 trophies out of that bunch.  After I retired the people I left behind continued on for a couple of years.
Not spending your money or giving away your stuff, just a suggestion.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 02:09:36 PM »
Unnerstan’ that, Rod dude.

Arcey golfed, past tense. Sold the clubs to a fellah name ah Les. He goes by ‘Beartooth’ these days.

Well at least ya got it outta yer system.  My Dad did fer years but I convinced him shootin guns was better.

Yer a good man 40, that was awful kind of ya.

That gavel came with a diplomer lookin thing that says National Leadership Award.  I have know idea who the hell I'm leadin er how they's gettin ma orders.  I hope they's all good folks an intuitively know what I want.

Roland Deschain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com