Author Topic: forcing cone leading  (Read 4349 times)

Offline aalmcc4

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
forcing cone leading
« on: July 18, 2009, 06:29:39 PM »
Got my USFA Rodeo.  Love it.  But i notiuced when cleaning after my first time out shootign it, there is fairly heavy leading in the forcing cone area.  Ther eis no leading near the muzzle.  Just in the forcing cone.  I really had to scrub the heck out fo it to get it even close to clean.

I've only shot 50 rounds of my own handloads.  Wincehstrer brass, Remington Standard       

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: forcing cone leading
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »
This can be caused by shooting undersized bullets. Shoot bullets sized to the chamber & NOT the barrel groove diameter and make sure you're not shooting "cream puff" reloads as well.  ;)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
Shooting bullets atleast .452" to .455" for some reason keeps leading to a minimum in all of my guns.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:07:46 PM »

Offline aalmcc4

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:46:04 PM »
Thanks guys.  The "cream puff load" comment is interesting.  I was shooting commercial hard cast RNFP (CAS type) bullets sized to .452 over 6.0 grains of Red Dot.  That's not too light a load, is it?  I think 6.5 grains of Red Dot is a max load in the Lyman manual.       

Offline Whiskey Hayes

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:48:23 AM »
I don't think its your load but you failed to mention bullet weight.  .452 dia work well in all my .45's, USFA and Colts with no leading.  You might want to check chamber throat dia., it's best to match bullet dia. to throat dia.  You should be able to push your bullet through the chamber throat.  You might also try a softer cast lead bullet.

I suspect your forcing cones might be a hair rough causing the leading.  Purchase a Lewis Lead removal tool from Brownells. it comes with a forcing cone cleaning attachment that will help polish the cone.  I used this tool on each of my pistols the first 3 to 4 times I shot them.  I did get a little lead out of one Rodeo the 1st couple of cleanings then it quit.  I'll use Lewis Lead remover now once a year without getting any lead, roughly 5,000 rounds per pistol.  I use JB Bore paste with the Lewis Lead remover.

WH

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »
I'm somewhat lazy when it comes to a rough bore sometimes as I will just fire 200-500 jacketed bullets through the gun before shooting lead rounds. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com