Author Topic: Holsters for Vaquero  (Read 6377 times)

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Holsters for Vaquero
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »
The original Vaquero being a larger frame than the new model or the Colt SAA, does this cause problems with holster fit. The Vaquero I just bought is a really snug fit in my SAA holsters. Are there holsters made separately for the Vaquero?

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Holsters for Vaquero
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »
For my first pair of Old Model Vaqueros...  see avitar pic at left  <---, I had a double holster rig made by Old West Reproductions.
For my Bisley Vaquero and Birds head Vaquero, also old model large frams I bought a generic holster rig made for the larger framed Vaqueros.   ;)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »
Old Doc, sending you a pm.

They are bigger, and unless you can stretch out the SAA size holster to fit, they wont. At least on nice fitting holsters.

Check over at the Leather Shop forum, and see what folks have to offer over there.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:19:02 PM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
The Old Model Vaquero is larger than either the Colt's Single Action or the New Vaquero. Whether you can stretch the holsters enough to handle the Old Model is a question you can only solve by trying it.  Assuming the leather is vegetable-tanned cowhide and NOT soaked in oil, you can try wet-fitting the holster.  Run tepid tap water over the leather inside and out for about 15-30 seconds, or until the leather is uniformly damp.  Shake and rub off any beads of water to prevent watermarking the leather.  Put the gun in a plastic baggie, wrapping it tightly around the gun.  Work the gun into the holster.  You may need to buy some hardwood dowel  from the hardware store and round one end with a wood rasp and sandpaper. Buy a 7/8" diameter dowel, a 1/2" and a 3/8" one.  The larger dowel is shoved down to the toe of the holster.  The smaller ones are to widen the holster body close to the main seam.

Leave the bagged gun in the holster at least 2 hours. Then remove it and allow the leather to dry a few more hours.  Put the gun back in , working it around until it fits.  Do NOT allow the ejector rod to form a pocket in the body, but make a channel from the deepest point it rests in the holster up toward the top.  Allow to dry overnight and keep trying the gun, without the baggie.

If this doesn't work, you will just have to buy a holster that fits the Old Vaquero.  The larger holster will probably work okay with the Colt's.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:43:57 AM »
When I got what may be the last income tax refund check this year, I went ahead and "splurged" and ordered the el paso speed rig from el paso saldery.  I have a pair of OM vaqueros, 45 colt, blue   with 5 1/2 barrels.   OK so it was a tad pricy, belt and 2 holsters for about $400.  They fit well.  I wanted two strong sides ( left and right) as I wanted to give gunfighter style a roll.    What a different world!

NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
When I got what may be the last income tax refund check this year, I went ahead and "splurged" and ordered the el paso speed rig from el paso saldery.  I have a pair of OM vaqueros, 45 colt, blue   with 5 1/2 barrels.   OK so it was a tad pricy, belt and 2 holsters for about $400.  They fit well.  I wanted two strong sides ( left and right) as I wanted to give gunfighter style a roll.    What a different world!

What was the turnaround time? I've heard they can be a bit slow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com