Author Topic: Advice Needed on a Spur Strap  (Read 23925 times)

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Advice Needed on a Spur Strap
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM »
I have some "Biker Botas" The picture was taken on the trip home from Sturgis 2004. I believe that should be a serious consideration for me in the near futrure. 

However, I still want some spur straps, and Rolling Thunder's look as cool as any I've ever seen, especially his color and finish process.  JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 12:12:53 PM »
JD,  Check your email.....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline RollingThunder

• Top Active Citizen
  • RollingThunder
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
As luck would have it, all the extra work around here has kept me hopping enough to finally be back under 200. YAY! I can explore certain parts of my old wardrobe again.

OK. Break's over, back to work!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:35:56 AM »

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 12:57:18 PM »
Skip, I got your email, Thanks

RT, got your PM, responded, Thanks to you too

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 01:22:23 PM »
JD,

The problem I feel you are going to have is trying to get wide enough spur straps. I wear a 10 & 1/2 -11D, and I find that the wide part of the spur strap is over the 'outside' portion of my feet, and not protecting the instep as I would imagine they would.

Howdy
The reason your strap is not protecting your boot is you have them on the wrong feet. The buckle goes to the out side. The wide area will then be on the inside to protect your boot.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
I appreciate the concern, however, Rolling Thunder is going to make me a custom set, so hopefully we can address that issue. They are going to be one piece, made for this particular boot & spur combo.

Thanks Skip, and Thanks WC, for making sure I get these things on correctly! JD

Offline RollingThunder

• Top Active Citizen
  • RollingThunder
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 10:03:46 PM »
I often see folks wearing spur straps with the buckles in and I got to wondering why they would do that. Here's what I figured. It's for the same reason that I put a concho in the belly of the body on the billet side of a two-piece strap like that. When you're riding, and especially if you're riding something like an aluminum visalia or oxbow stirrup, much less a leather-wrapped plain bell stirrup, you'll rub your spur leather somethin' fierce. Normally a concho sitting there will keep the wear to a minimum. For some folks who don't have a concho there, the next best thing is to flip them, and put the buckle in there.

One-piecers don't have that issue, as they are pretty easy to figure out which is the inside and which is the outside, and some, like a couple in Will G's pattern pack, are interchangeable.

Offline Judge Lead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 08:00:50 AM »
The buckle in would rub on either the horse or some leather around the inside of the stirrup area..

I feel that buckle in is so that the carving, concho's etc are on display and for show only. With CAS, the ground pounders are not needing to protect anything, whereas riders are !.

Just my thoughts.

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

Offline RollingThunder

• Top Active Citizen
  • RollingThunder
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 04:22:38 PM »
I doubt the buckle would rub on the horse, considering the ergonomics of riding and the placement of a boot in a western stirrup. With the lump of leather above the buckle, most of what would come in contact with the stirrup would be the leather of the billet. I turned mine around, and that's mostly what was touching the inside of m stirrups.

Some folks want that fancy tooling they paid for to last, so I definitely agree with you on it being for show, or to protect that investment in many folks' case.

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 03:43:15 AM »
Buckle in or buckle out is one of those issues that can cause some big arguments and has been an issue since the first cowpokes rode the range. Look at the old pictures and you can see they were worn both ways (and still are) by real working cowboys (of whom I have a few friends still) and not just by ground pounders.....I've ridden for umpteen years, including the rough string when I was much younger, and have always worn my straps buckle in when not wearing dove wings. because I like the buckaroo/Californio style with the big concho on the outside - but that's a personal preference (you can blame Charlie Russell and learning horsemanship from the old time caballeros in California during the 1960's). Look at original straps and you will find that a plethora of straps were made back when with those big conchos and were thus designed to be worn buckle in. BTW - The straps with the buckle over the instep and a big concho, which Ed Bohlin made so many of, are a turn of the century item
The idea that worn buckle in will hang up on the rigging is just that - an idea and like RT said the stirrup pretty much prevents hang ups - except for hanging ones foot up in the stirrup, but that's usually a matter of too big a stirrup and too low a heel. Besides when you're wearing spurs, getting them hung up in the rigging is a far greater possibility - been there done that and it is not fun! especially when you wind up having teh cayuse come unglued and you find yourself riding the hurricane deck - of course it really is fun when one is young and indestructible!

Spur ridges on boots is a modern thing - you do not find them on 19th century boots at all (caveat - at least I;ve never seen them). Look at the old photos and you will see that spurs were generally worn higher on the counter than is the norm today. Also the old time (pre-1850) vaqueros and mountain men wore spurs with their moccasins, including the often times huge Spanish Colonial style spurs with rowels up to 4 and 5". Back in the day spurs were (and still are to a degree) the sign of a horseman/caballero and - that was one who did not work on foot. Even as late as the 1960's I knew a few old time vaqueros and buckaroos that refused to do ground work - if it couldn't be done from horseback it was not done and if the rancher insisted they'd pack their gear and move on........

Spur chains are mostly decorative and never were used to lock ones spurs down the way bucking straps are used on rodeo spurs. The old time Spanish apparently loved the sound of jingling chains and other things, so used them on their spurs along with jingle bobs which were a Californio/Spanish Colonial addition, The style was picked up later by the buckaroo types who then spread them east to Montana and Wyoming. They also added rein chains to go with their big ring bits or spade bits which usually had chains attached as well.

JD - IMO you made a good choice for spurs, especially for some one who has never worn them before. While I dearly love (and sell  ;) ) the Californio styles with drop shanks and large rowels I generally do not recommend them for "newbies". One thing that can help with wearing spurs is walk slightly pigeon toed (like the Duke who copied his walk from a real cowboy Yakima Canutt, who was his stunt double for years) - this keeps you from getting your spurs tangled up. Also be VERY careful when walking down stairs - catching a spur and going butt side up is a real danger and our age that tain't no fun.............and FWIW - the largest straps I've made were to fit a size 16 triple E - had to order some 3" conchos for those (my norm is 2")

anyway just a few thoughts and some permabulations on the subject and as always everbodies mileage will vary.......

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline RollingThunder

• Top Active Citizen
  • RollingThunder
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 07:54:38 AM »
Hey Chuck, you'll be glad to know that Don Reeves, Curator of Cowboy Culture at the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Center is working on a book to define just exactly how the "cowboy boot" got to be what it was.

Think of it as "Packing Iron" for boots. 

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 08:52:42 AM »
Chuck, thanks for weighing in on the subject. I got my first horse at age 12, and sold the last two and a trailer to finance the adoption of our daughter, who is now 24. I always rode for pleasure, not work, and a result, I never wore spurs. In retrospect, there were times when I probably needed some! 

I apologize if I am seeking trade secrets here, but how do spur straps attach to the spurs when conchos seem to be covering the holes? It looks cool, but I have no idea how it's done, unless there are special conchos out there I haven't seen (Quite possible)   

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 09:25:04 AM »
JD there is a seperate piece of leather stitched behind the part that the concho is on. It's the inside one that has the spur button hole.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 09:33:29 AM »
Ah, the tricks of the trade! Thanks Ned, JD

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 09:46:21 AM »

JD, there is a thread here in the forum, that I believe WC made that shows the process of hiding the hook up under the concho, and like Ned said there a piece of leather sewed over the hole of your hook up on the strap, sorry I don't have time to look this up, but it's in here some place.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »
 Dear Chuck Burrows,

It is nice to see some practical knowledge and historical perspective on the subject... Looks like I will now turn my buckles back towards the inside to make them easier to reach with these old arthritic knees and hips

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »
Howdy JD
Here are a couple of pix of the last set I made.
The first leather concho is big and can be sewn over the mounting hole. The second concho is held on but the metal concho.
Hope this helps.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »
JD - thre are in fact a couple of ways to button them on when using a concho:
1) The way Ed Bhlin and others did it was by lining the strap and putting a slot in the lining exactly behind the concho for the spur button - the lining of course was not glued down at that section.
2) The other way when the straps aren't lined is to use an added tab and ther are a couple of ways to adding the tab. For this style the concho needs to have a loop back rather than a screw post of rivet. The loop goes thorugh a slot in the strap and then the tab goes through the loop locking the concho in place

a) Way one is to make the tab Tee shaped and then slide it through the loop. The tab is put in with the top of the Tee placed towards the main body of the strap and the leg of the Tee going through the loop.
b) Way two is to run a straight tab through the loop and rivet it on the manin body side.

Here's a pic from the outside of the straps but you can see the tip of the tab sticking out beyond the body of the strap. I'll be building a pair of straps soonly and will try and remember to take some pics of the backside and post them here.......

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 11:49:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for explaining concho mounting to me. I have very little experience with these things (Duh, hence the questions). I have made an alternqative strap mount so I can use the spurs this Saturday-Sunday. Our club is hosting the 2009 West Coast Western 3 Gun match.

I used a couple of rigging holders from Tandy, and attached them to some Weaver Spur straps with a concho and extended length screw, also from Tandy. A little dye, and there you go, spurs and spur straps.

This is a temporary solution, until I get ones RT is going to make for me.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2009, 12:11:20 AM »
Thanks to all you pards that offered clarification on straps and mounting. Great information.

JD, your temporary solution is a fine one. You can get by very well with that. It'll be cool to see the ones RT does for you so don't forget pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com