Author Topic: Black Bear vs 45 Colt?  (Read 43923 times)

Offline Ozark Iron John

• We're Ridin-n-Shootin Boyz! Blam! Blam! Blam!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • You're not under Arrest. We're here to Hang ya!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Black Bear vs 45 Colt?
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2005, 10:21:34 PM »
Ok, now that the cyber bear has ate Ozark John and Pap, we can get down to some serious ballistic study.  ..........

Come on Del!  I thought that was funny.  :)

Didn't you like the part about shooting him 5 more times just for meaness?

"Wrap my Body in a Bonnie Blue Flag and bury me with my Feet in the South!"
>:(    - Ozark Iron John cir. 1876

SASS #60933, CMSA #4406, Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2005, 10:46:36 PM »
Delmonico comes in and makes two triple eessspprressooo's, he sits Ozark John down, gives him one cup an'splains to him about Delmonico's dry and sometimes surly sense of humor. ;D ;D ;D ;D

And yes I agree bears and many wild animals can be dangerous, I just don't want to see anyonne get hung for gettin' excited and shootin' a bear that wasn't really dangerous.  I don't have the figures, but don't almost all bear attacks happen in parks and such where you can't carry a gun and I am interested in facts here, how many bear attacks have happened in the last say 10 years?

And as for me, I already said it, but I would carry that 94 Carbine in 375 Winchester if I thought I needed a gun in bear country. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Lou Graham

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 02:18:45 PM »
The bear looks bigger close up.  Like at 10 or 12 feet, it's got really big claws and teeth.  It gets bigger and bigger when you bang the pots and pans at the campfire and it just looks at you for a moment and takes another step closer.
This is a job for my 1911.  ;).  I just like it better for self-defence.  If all I had was a SAA, I'd shoot him with that.  Hope it's a .45 and nothin' smaller and I hope John Taffin has just dropped by and left me a few of his pet handloads  :o :o :o

We've had a real bear in our "backyard" the last couple of years.  He must have a regular "route" as he shows up in late June - early July and then he's not spotted again until the following year.  I won't go looking for a bear to kill but if it's him or me, he'd make a better rug.
Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:23:53 AM »

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2005, 02:35:17 PM »
Isn't Lou adorable when she gets all tough and mean??   :D :D :-*

And aren't I glad she doesn't have a skillet to bonk me?

( Yes indeed I am!)

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2005, 03:40:20 PM »
Ok, I did some very quick research, mounds of information.  I was right, almost all bear attacks happen in National Parks.  But they are rare.  Many times more people get ran over by cars in National Parks, so I am not gonna let one get close.  If It does I'm goin' fer the radiator, if that don't work, I'm goin' fer the tires and hope that stops is or turns it away from me. 

If I survive and the car gets away, I'm gonin' back to my round nylon tent, eat some freeze dried Ice Cream and give it a half hour or so to bleed out.  Then I'm wadin' into the willows with a 577 NE, these are very dangerous when wounded.  If I've taken this less than serious so be it, lightning stikes are far more common, bear attacks are rare from what I've ever seen the facts on.  And I still stand by my choice.  Penatration and controlabillity would be the only thing to save you.

The last stats I seen though says more folks are killed by deer whoopin' on them than bears, havin' seen one in a bad mood one time, I ain't gonna argue.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Iron John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 08:24:20 PM »
Hey Del.  Thanks for the coffe.

I ain't knockin that .357/8 cal. any.  Heck, it's cheaper to shoot.  Hotter Too!  I know it.  I was just fantasizing about My old Pap and how he'd do it.

Speakin about how he'd do it, if'n he wuz in that park and a mad car turned on him and made like it wuz gonna attack, I believe he'd put two into the right front windshield real quick.  BOOM!  BOOM!

If that didn't work, he'd look at the right front tire and determine which direction it is was turning.  He'd run in the opposite direction.  He'd move lateraly away from the car and towards cover.  If it chased him, he'd wait for it to get close and then jump up on the hood and roll over.  He'd keep right on rolling off the hood and away from the car.  He'd get to one knee and put three; BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! into the tail lights.

Pap wouldn't bother holsterin the revolver, he'd throw that'n down and reach for the second one as he ran towards cover.  The car would probably run away, but if it stoped, turned and made like its was gonna run him down again, Pap would put five more into the right front windshield.  BOOM CLANG times FIVE!"

Pap took cars serious boyz.  He thought they were dangerous.  He didn't want us kids gettin around 'em.  He said they'd probably kill more of us than all battles in all the wars combined.   

There's a statistic for you Del.  How many people've been kilt by cars in America?  How many last Year?  How many over the last ten and fifty years?

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2005, 03:51:13 AM »
One of our bear biologists once told me that if your going to get attacked by a bear that it is better to get attacked by a Grizzly than a Black Bear. the reasons are that a Grizzly attacks by nature and will many time maul it;s victim but if they play dead won't kill them. Where a Black Bear normally will retreat but if they attack they will kill and most likely eat you.

Will Ketchum
I wonder sometimes if these Biologist write their theroys from experiance, Bears wouldn.t know if they are educated or not by taste

I would still try to use my six shooter with cowboy ammo if needed, and hoped I live to wipe myself and tell the story later.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Fightin Creek Slim

• Active citizen
    • Shooters Freehold
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 02:30:20 AM »
I get really tired of the greenies trying to convince us that wild animals are really safe.  Well, put one in their back yard.  I said and I repeat, put a grizzly or wolf in their back yard!  That is what they are trying to legislate for people in Montana, Idaho, Washington, Wyoming, etc.
Live it before you legislate it, okay.

My sentiments exactly Willy as I live in the region you mention.
I carry a New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt as a backup gun when I'm hunting or out in the back country I run 300 grain hardcast bullets at healthy velocities in my .45 Colt hunting loads. The revolver wouldn't be my first choice as bear medicine however I do not feel undergunned with the Blackhawk.

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2005, 10:33:09 PM »
It is entertaining to read all the bear posts.  If you don't live in bear country, save your self.  Climb a tree?  Did anyone tell you to look in that tree to make sure some sow bear didn't send her cubs up the same tree.  Guaranteed, you could kill that bear three times and she would still get you. 
Bears do not believe in cohabitation.  They don't even like each other!  If you have never had a real live encounter with a live bear, forget your comments.  It is not fun.  It is not a test of nature.  It is a test of survival.  Anyone ever met an angry bear want to dispute that statement?  I speak from experience, not touchy feely or some dis-oriented tree huggers philosophy.
Willie
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2005, 11:56:43 PM »
I don't dispute a bear is dangerous, just would like a figure as to how many really attack folks in a year.  I do know bee stings kill far more people every year than bears.  I know they could kill me, but yet even though they are located every where in the US I don't arm myself to ward them off, I just avoid botherin' them.  But if ya die of an allergic bee sting reaction ya would be lucky to get more than a few lines in the obituary column.  But than that kind of thing don't sell newspapers.

Just a thought, have had two serious encounters with feral dogs and yes I shot them.  But hell, no newspaper would care about that either, the county sherriff of the area didn't care, but a bear, well print it up, it'll sell papers.  Just thoughts, still would like to know how many folks have been killed by bears in the last 10 years and how many of those deserved it? 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Iron John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 01:49:40 AM »
I just want to know how many people have been killed by cars in Missouri in the last ten years.  I know it is more than bears, I bet it is more than wars.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2005, 03:44:47 AM »
 It's about time we open season on the Cars
Mathew 5.9

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2005, 09:12:08 AM »
It's about time we open season on the Cars
What caliber would ya use on a Dodge 1 ton pickup?  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2005, 09:16:18 AM »
If a Bear Charges
A bear charges at high speed on all four legs. Many charges are bluffs. Bears often stop or veer to the side at the last minute. However, if contact appears unavoidable, you have three options: shoot to kill if you have a gun; play dead if you are attacked by a grizzly; or fight back if attacked by a black bear.

Shooting a Bear
The right moment to squeeze the trigger depends on your nerve, experience with a firearm, and how fast the bear is approaching. The decision can be made only by the person facing the bear, and must be made quickly.

An accurate shot fired at close range has a greater chance of killing a bear than one fired from farther away. The first shot is the most important. If you must kill a bear, aim for the shoulder if the bear is broadside, or the back of the neck between the shoulders if the bear is facing you. Avoid head shots - they often do not kill a bear. Do not stop to check the results of your shot. Keep firing until the bear is still. Try to kill the bear cleanly and quickly - a wounded bear is very dangerous.

Playing Dead
Playing dead may prevent serious injury if you are attacked by a grizzly bear. Do not play dead during a black bear attack or if a grizzly bear is treating you as prey. Playing dead will help protect your vital areas, and the bear may leave if you appear harmless. There are two recommended positions:

* lie on your side, curled into a ball, legs drawn tightly to your chest, hands clasped behind your neck;
    * lie flat on the ground, face down, fingers intertwined behind your neck.

Stay in these positions even if moved. Do not resist or struggle - it may intensify the attack. Look around cautiously, and be sure the bear is gone before moving.

Fighting Back
If a black bear attacks you or a grizzly bear shows signs that it considers you prey, and you do not have a firearm, do not play dead. Act aggressively. Defend yourself with whatever means are available. You want to appear dominant and frighten the bear. Jump up and down, shout, and wave your arms. It may help to raise your jacket or pack to make you look bigger.
http://www.nwtwildlife.rwed.gov.nt.ca/Publications/safetyinbearcountry/attacks.htm

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2005, 09:28:32 AM »
I don't dispute a bear is dangerous, just would like a figure as to how many really attack folks in a year.  I do know bee stings kill far more people every year than bears.  I know they could kill me, but yet even though they are located every where in the US I don't arm myself to ward them off, I just avoid botherin' them.  But if ya die of an allergic bee sting reaction ya would be lucky to get more than a few lines in the obituary column.  But than that kind of thing don't sell newspapers.

Just a thought, have had two serious encounters with feral dogs and yes I shot them.  But hell, no newspaper would care about that either, the county sherriff of the area didn't care, but a bear, well print it up, it'll sell papers.  Just thoughts, still would like to know how many folks have been killed by bears in the last 10 years and how many of those deserved it? 
Here's some stats on Yellowstone Park.
http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/bmaul_injuries.html

Slim

Offline El Paso Pete

• Big Lube Boolit Shooter, shootin BP since 1958
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Life, NRA Patron, RATS #1, Warthog
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2005, 12:46:23 PM »
IMHO, black powder loads would be best on a still day with no wind.  Empty yer gun at it then run away while the bear's attackin the smoke cloud.  In this situation, each miss will most likely cost ya more that 5 sec.
El Paso Pete   SASS #55577L  RATS #1
Mules,  Whiskey,  Diamonds,  Nails,  Gold Mines,  Fly Swatters,  Barbed Wire,  Oil Wells,  Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprising Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted

EL PASO PETE’S MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Simply return the unused portion of the product and
El Paso Pete will refund the unused portion of your money.

Offline RowdyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2005, 01:04:20 PM »
.......... But you might have to hit him more than once.........Buck 8) ::) :o :-\

I think my old Pap would say, "Put the first two in his chest right quick.  BOOM!  BOOM!

If that don't stop him, put the third'n on up towards his head.  BOOM!

If he keeps comin atcha, which I highly doubt, roll up into a ball and let him maul you a bit.  When ya get the opportunity to shove that Colt into his mouth, BOOM!  BOOM!"

Lights Out.

Pull out that second revolver and shoot him five more times just for meaness.  Holes Patch!  :) 

And if they still doesn't stop the bear, you've saved the last round for yourself.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2005, 04:20:11 PM »
Yellowstone Pard don't count, that's yuppie bears vs yuppie people.  Sides that ya can't carry yer gun in Jellystone.  I'm talkin' real wilderness not covered with freeze dried campers. ;D

Did who ever wrote the link Slim, ever really have to test it.  Sorry I still see Phil Shomaker as a better athourity on this.  And he's basically talkin' grizzly's on salmon streams.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Iron John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2005, 04:25:09 PM »
Well let me see here; Yeah, that's a bearskin rug over there in the corner.  The arrow holes patched up right nice.   Hummm.

I'd fight Mike Tyson in the UFC Octaon if I could put two .45LC's in his chest real quick and Mikie is a whole lot more dangerous than any old stinkin bear.  Heck, where I come from, bears are a nusiance like coons in the trash.  If'n ya bounce that third'n offa hiz head, I don't think he'd have the cajones to keep on comin.  Those last two up under his chin would be enough, even for Griz.  Dump 5 more into him for meaness.  Holes Patch.

Ya'll that're so sceert of bears oughta stay up on the porch.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2005, 03:17:35 AM »
 Yellowstone is the all you can eat buffett for the Griz....So now your riding your favorite horse thru the Lamar basin and you come along scat. How do you know if it is Black bear or Griz?

A; Griz as the little hiking bells
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com