Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2014, 11:24:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Black Bear vs 45 Colt? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Bear vs 45 Colt?  (Read 18235 times)
Ozark Iron John
We're Ridin-n-Shootin Boyz! Blam! Blam! Blam!
Top Active Citizen

You're not under Arrest. We're here to Hang ya!

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 09:24:20 pm »

Hey Del.  Thanks for the coffe.

I ain't knockin that .357/8 cal. any.  Heck, it's cheaper to shoot.  Hotter Too!  I know it.  I was just fantasizing about My old Pap and how he'd do it.

Speakin about how he'd do it, if'n he wuz in that park and a mad car turned on him and made like it wuz gonna attack, I believe he'd put two into the right front windshield real quick.  BOOM!  BOOM!

If that didn't work, he'd look at the right front tire and determine which direction it is was turning.  He'd run in the opposite direction.  He'd move lateraly away from the car and towards cover.  If it chased him, he'd wait for it to get close and then jump up on the hood and roll over.  He'd keep right on rolling off the hood and away from the car.  He'd get to one knee and put three; BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! into the tail lights.

Pap wouldn't bother holsterin the revolver, he'd throw that'n down and reach for the second one as he ran towards cover.  The car would probably run away, but if it stoped, turned and made like its was gonna run him down again, Pap would put five more into the right front windshield.  BOOM CLANG times FIVE!"

Pap took cars serious boyz.  He thought they were dangerous.  He didn't want us kids gettin around 'em.  He said they'd probably kill more of us than all battles in all the wars combined.   

There's a statistic for you Del.  How many people've been kilt by cars in America?  How many last Year?  How many over the last ten and fifty years?

"Wrap my Body in a Bonnie Blue Flag and bury me with my Feet in the South!"
Angry    - Ozark Iron John cir. 1876

SASS #60933, CMSA #4406, Masonic Cowboy Shootist
litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

If you can't do it horseback it's not worth doin

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2005, 04:51:13 am »

One of our bear biologists once told me that if your going to get attacked by a bear that it is better to get attacked by a Grizzly than a Black Bear. the reasons are that a Grizzly attacks by nature and will many time maul it;s victim but if they play dead won't kill them. Where a Black Bear normally will retreat but if they attack they will kill and most likely eat you.

Will Ketchum
I wonder sometimes if these Biologist write their theroys from experiance, Bears wouldn.t know if they are educated or not by taste

I would still try to use my six shooter with cowboy ammo if needed, and hoped I live to wipe myself and tell the story later.

"the ringin' of my jinglebobs is music to my soul"

Impeach the Moron's in the Whitehouse SOON!

'uva uvam vevindo varia fit"< It's a Motto

'Molon Labe"

A waist is a terrible thing to mind

Fightin Creek Slim
Citizen

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 02:30:20 am »

I get really tired of the greenies trying to convince us that wild animals are really safe.  Well, put one in their back yard.  I said and I repeat, put a grizzly or wolf in their back yard!  That is what they are trying to legislate for people in Montana, Idaho, Washington, Wyoming, etc.
Live it before you legislate it, okay.

My sentiments exactly Willy as I live in the region you mention.
I carry a New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt as a backup gun when I'm hunting or out in the back country I run 300 grain hardcast bullets at healthy velocities in my .45 Colt hunting loads. The revolver wouldn't be my first choice as bear medicine however I do not feel undergunned with the Blackhawk.

Willie Wheelgun
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2005, 10:33:09 pm »

It is entertaining to read all the bear posts.  If you don't live in bear country, save your self.  Climb a tree?  Did anyone tell you to look in that tree to make sure some sow bear didn't send her cubs up the same tree.  Guaranteed, you could kill that bear three times and she would still get you. 
Bears do not believe in cohabitation.  They don't even like each other!  If you have never had a real live encounter with a live bear, forget your comments.  It is not fun.  It is not a test of nature.  It is a test of survival.  Anyone ever met an angry bear want to dispute that statement?  I speak from experience, not touchy feely or some dis-oriented tree huggers philosophy.
Willie

Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2005, 11:56:43 pm »

I don't dispute a bear is dangerous, just would like a figure as to how many really attack folks in a year.  I do know bee stings kill far more people every year than bears.  I know they could kill me, but yet even though they are located every where in the US I don't arm myself to ward them off, I just avoid botherin' them.  But if ya die of an allergic bee sting reaction ya would be lucky to get more than a few lines in the obituary column.  But than that kind of thing don't sell newspapers.

Just a thought, have had two serious encounters with feral dogs and yes I shot them.  But hell, no newspaper would care about that either, the county sherriff of the area didn't care, but a bear, well print it up, it'll sell papers.  Just thoughts, still would like to know how many folks have been killed by bears in the last 10 years and how many of those deserved it? 

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Ozark Iron John
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 01:49:40 am »

I just want to know how many people have been killed by cars in Missouri in the last ten years.  I know it is more than bears, I bet it is more than wars.

litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2005, 03:44:47 am »

It's about time we open season on the Cars

'Molon Labe"

Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2005, 09:12:08 am »

It's about time we open season on the Cars
What caliber would ya use on a Dodge 1 ton pickup?  Grin

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!
Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2005, 09:16:18 am »

If a Bear Charges
A bear charges at high speed on all four legs. Many charges are bluffs. Bears often stop or veer to the side at the last minute. However, if contact appears unavoidable, you have three options: shoot to kill if you have a gun; play dead if you are attacked by a grizzly; or fight back if attacked by a black bear.

Shooting a Bear
The right moment to squeeze the trigger depends on your nerve, experience with a firearm, and how fast the bear is approaching. The decision can be made only by the person facing the bear, and must be made quickly.

An accurate shot fired at close range has a greater chance of killing a bear than one fired from farther away. The first shot is the most important. If you must kill a bear, aim for the shoulder if the bear is broadside, or the back of the neck between the shoulders if the bear is facing you. Avoid head shots - they often do not kill a bear. Do not stop to check the results of your shot. Keep firing until the bear is still. Try to kill the bear cleanly and quickly - a wounded bear is very dangerous.

Playing Dead
Playing dead may prevent serious injury if you are attacked by a grizzly bear. Do not play dead during a black bear attack or if a grizzly bear is treating you as prey. Playing dead will help protect your vital areas, and the bear may leave if you appear harmless. There are two recommended positions:

* lie on your side, curled into a ball, legs drawn tightly to your chest, hands clasped behind your neck;
    * lie flat on the ground, face down, fingers intertwined behind your neck.

Stay in these positions even if moved. Do not resist or struggle - it may intensify the attack. Look around cautiously, and be sure the bear is gone before moving.

Fighting Back
If a black bear attacks you or a grizzly bear shows signs that it considers you prey, and you do not have a firearm, do not play dead. Act aggressively. Defend yourself with whatever means are available. You want to appear dominant and frighten the bear. Jump up and down, shout, and wave your arms. It may help to raise your jacket or pack to make you look bigger.
http://www.nwtwildlife.rwed.gov.nt.ca/Publications/safetyinbearcountry/attacks.htm

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Silver Creek Slim
Buckaroo
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2005, 09:28:32 am »

I don't dispute a bear is dangerous, just would like a figure as to how many really attack folks in a year.  I do know bee stings kill far more people every year than bears.  I know they could kill me, but yet even though they are located every where in the US I don't arm myself to ward them off, I just avoid botherin' them.  But if ya die of an allergic bee sting reaction ya would be lucky to get more than a few lines in the obituary column.  But than that kind of thing don't sell newspapers.

Just a thought, have had two serious encounters with feral dogs and yes I shot them.  But hell, no newspaper would care about that either, the county sherriff of the area didn't care, but a bear, well print it up, it'll sell papers.  Just thoughts, still would like to know how many folks have been killed by bears in the last 10 years and how many of those deserved it? 
Here's some stats on Yellowstone Park.
http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/bmaul_injuries.html

Slim

El Paso Pete
Big Lube Boolit Shooter, shootin BP since 1958
Top Active Citizen

SASS Life, NRA Patron, RATS #1, Warthog

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2005, 12:46:23 pm »

IMHO, black powder loads would be best on a still day with no wind.  Empty yer gun at it then run away while the bear's attackin the smoke cloud.  In this situation, each miss will most likely cost ya more that 5 sec.

El Paso Pete   SASS #55577L  RATS #1
Mules,  Whiskey,  Diamonds,  Nails,  Gold Mines,  Fly Swatters,  Barbed Wire,  Oil Wells,  Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprising Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted

EL PASO PETE’S MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Simply return the unused portion of the product and
El Paso Pete will refund the unused portion of your money.
RowdyBill
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2005, 01:04:20 pm »

.......... But you might have to hit him more than once.........Buck Cool Roll Eyes Shocked Undecided

I think my old Pap would say, "Put the first two in his chest right quick.  BOOM!  BOOM!

If that don't stop him, put the third'n on up towards his head.  BOOM!

If he keeps comin atcha, which I highly doubt, roll up into a ball and let him maul you a bit.  When ya get the opportunity to shove that Colt into his mouth, BOOM!  BOOM!"

Lights Out.

Pull out that second revolver and shoot him five more times just for meaness.  Holes Patch!  Smiley 

And if they still doesn't stop the bear, you've saved the last round for yourself.
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2005, 04:20:11 pm »

Yellowstone Pard don't count, that's yuppie bears vs yuppie people.  Sides that ya can't carry yer gun in Jellystone.  I'm talkin' real wilderness not covered with freeze dried campers. Grin

Did who ever wrote the link Slim, ever really have to test it.  Sorry I still see Phil Shomaker as a better athourity on this.  And he's basically talkin' grizzly's on salmon streams.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Ozark Iron John
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2005, 04:25:09 pm »

Well let me see here; Yeah, that's a bearskin rug over there in the corner.  The arrow holes patched up right nice.   Hummm.

I'd fight Mike Tyson in the UFC Octaon if I could put two .45LC's in his chest real quick and Mikie is a whole lot more dangerous than any old stinkin bear.  Heck, where I come from, bears are a nusiance like coons in the trash.  If'n ya bounce that third'n offa hiz head, I don't think he'd have the cajones to keep on comin.  Those last two up under his chin would be enough, even for Griz.  Dump 5 more into him for meaness.  Holes Patch.

Ya'll that're so sceert of bears oughta stay up on the porch.

litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2005, 03:17:35 am »

Yellowstone is the all you can eat buffett for the Griz....So now your riding your favorite horse thru the Lamar basin and you come along scat. How do you know if it is Black bear or Griz?

A; Griz as the little hiking bells

'Molon Labe"

doc
Active citizen

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2005, 09:03:23 pm »

I am a conservation officer in PA and can tell you that a 45 colt will probabley just make the bear mad. A 12 gauge slug is minimum. A 44 mag to the head may work and there could always be exceptions depending on the size of the bear A large bear will get you before he dies if he has a mind to. Black bears try to get away at all costs unless cornered or protecting her cubs. BTY ,you had better prove to me that you were in danger or we will have some trouble in a legal sense.

You're damn right I'll risk it. They're breakin the law.
Vet, Police Officer and Deputy Wildlife Conservation Officer
gryffon2004
Active citizen

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2005, 08:10:28 pm »

Hey guys and gals.  Im new to the CAS scene but have been hunting since I was about 7.  People seem to forget that at one time our ancestors hunted these critters with sharp sticks.  Sure some of the got eaten, but if thats all you got, youd use it too.  I dont think that CAS loads are going to do anything but annoy a bear.  But, the colt can be loaded close to 44 mag specs in the right iron.  Corbon has some pretty impressive ammo as well. 

In short, 45 colt beats the heck out of a sharp stick in the eye anyday!!!

Wanna get some  funny looks?  When you go to check your next deer in and the guy asks you what you shot it with,  Whip out a flintlock musket.  Some of those guys that were bragging a couple minutes ago dont quite feel so good about using their ultra high tech shotguns and scent lock suits, standing next to a guy in buckskins with a musket. Grin

warthog
rats #198
pwdfr #111
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2005, 02:53:52 pm »

D. Boone and others kilt a bar on this tree with roundball 40-50 cal flintlocks and didn't seem to have much trouble.  The round ball don't penatrate real deep and is light for the caliber.  Truly study ballistics, not a lot of power there.  Today animals seem to have grown much tougher, or many writers have got fuller of Bolivine Feces.  The size of the hole, the depth of the hole in relation to the part on the anotomy is what kills.

Often a slow bullet will penatrate deeper than a fast one.  But then nobody has come up with any figgers as to how many are et by bears every year that didn't deserve it.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

gryffon2004
Active citizen

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2005, 03:43:10 pm »

The animals got tougher.  I doubt it.  I think that people forgot how to shoot.  Placement is key

warthog
rats #198
pwdfr #111
Ornery Orr
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2005, 12:33:10 am »

The easiest way to tell a Black Bear from a Grizzly is that the black bear will climb the tree after you where the Grizzly will just knock it over. Smiley  When all yer fancy calibers and bullets and tricked out guns fail to stop the pissed off charging bear, think of a man by the name of Hugh Glass.  Pull that big honkin' survival knife that you bought as a novelty item, get in as close as you can to the bear and commence to ventilatin'.  And pray to god that you kill him before he kills you!  Sure am glad I live in Iowa (no bears).
tarheel mac
Top Active Citizen

SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2005, 06:40:58 am »

You know guys, I've got to say here that if I was walking out in the woods, and a black bear came outta nowhere to start some trouble, and all I had was my .45 LC, I wouldn't be real worried...not at close range anyway, assuming I could "beat the bear to the draw" so to speak...It probably wouldn't be my first choice to go out and hunt a bear, but for emergency, I think it would handle the situation just fine....
Russ T Chambers
Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Well preserved for my age!

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2005, 05:15:22 pm »

You know guys, I've got to say here that if I was walking out in the woods, and a black bear came outta nowhere to start some trouble, and all I had was my .45 LC, I wouldn't be real worried...not at close range anyway, assuming I could "beat the bear to the draw" so to speak...It probably wouldn't be my first choice to go out and hunt a bear, but for emergency, I think it would handle the situation just fine....

Tarheel

I wouldn't go huntin' a bear with a .45 LC.  I also wouldn't go lookin' for a stick if I had my .45 with me.  I imagine it would hurt him a might more that a stck, and if it just got him a 'bit' more upset, I'd go under a tad bit happier than if I hadn't hurt him too.

Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2005, 06:27:11 pm »

One must remeber the onetime top ranked grizzly bear and one still up high was kilt by and old Indian lady. She was runnin' a trap line and it run her up a tree.  She got cold and tired and POed so she shot it in the eye with her 1906 Winny.  Just a little ol' 22 short, but it POed the bear so bad he just up and died. 

Best thing to do is not PO a bear.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

hellinpetticoats
Citizen

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2005, 02:38:19 pm »

No one around these parts wants to PO the bears but it is becomming necessary to know how to defend against them. 

On the way to work today, mixed in with the usual traffic report, was "Bear delay on Route 15 near the Bagel Shop."  The population of Black Bears has grown tremendously in this area in the last 5 years.  There are sightings on a daily basis, livestock kills are not uncommon as are pet kills.  Last week there were two house break-ins in two days.

There is a theory that the bears in this area have been thriving due to eating out of our garbage cans and dumpsters, and are growing in size and having twins, triplets and even quads. 

Since we've all tried to co-exist with them by locking down garbage, the bears have decided to try for the pork chops cooking on the stove as well as the fresh baked brownies on the kitchen counter.  Parents are advised to tell their kids walking to isolated school bus stops to carry their back-packs instead of wear them. At least a kid would have a chance to throw the PB&J to the bear and run like crazy.

The bears are beautiful but they are NOT predictable and do attack when hungry, not just when they are cornered.  We really really need to bring back the hunt before there is loss of human life.

Hellin (who had her encounter with a mama bear and her triplets and is not amused) Petticoats
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2005, 06:47:05 pm »

Sorry, that don't fall under natural enviroment.  It counts as doo gooders messin' with things.  You should petition to open two seasons one on bears and the other on no good doo gooders.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Black Bear vs 45 Colt? « previous next »
Jump to: