Author Topic: Kirkpatrick Leather Company?  (Read 16799 times)

Offline Dispatch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kirkpatrick Leather Company?
« on: July 03, 2009, 02:25:25 PM »
On Kirkpatricks leather rigs, can anyone give some pro's and con's on there line. They seem to have alot of choices, but I value word of mouth from here on 'real experiences'. Any actual knowledge with their leather?  ???

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Kirkpatrick Leather Company?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 04:38:29 PM »
Dispatch,

I have heard that their products are well built.  SInce I make (all my own rigs) as well as sell custom leather products I have not purchased any rigs from other manufacturers (with the exception of patterns from Will Ghormley).  I think you will find alot of the participants in this forum make their own rigs.  There are also several pro's in this forum...Will Ghormley, Chuck Burrows, Trailrider, Cowboy WC, etc. (if I missied anyone please forgive me).

Maybe some of the other leather makers/artists (and I do mean artists) in this room can add info on Kirkpatrick.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Offline Cohagen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 08:00:57 PM »
I have used Kirkpatrick many times.  Quality is well above average, service is good, and price while not cheap is fair for what you get.

Your milage may vary.  I like doing business with them.

Cohagen

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:45:38 PM »

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 12:08:24 AM »
I have a left-handed Kirkpatrick Laredoan Cross-Draw rig that I picked up second-hand.  They do good work.

Offline Dispatch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 12:32:27 AM »
For myself, I am waiting on a complete rig from Chuck, (January 2010). My Dad bought a complete rig from Kirkpatrick leather (FT. Laramie Roper), on account he needed something right away for the SASS event. I was wondering how they were, reputation wise. Word of mouth can be a powerful thing. Their stuff 'seems' to be of quality and well built as Outrider states but for me, well....  To each his own.  ::)

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 04:12:37 AM »
I seldom offer opinions regarding other maker's rigs, but I'm in a "mood" so here goes -  Kirkpatrick rigs are VERY high quality for CAS rigs, but with all due respect none of the ones they offer are really pre-1900 "period correct" so it all depends on what you want..............
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 07:57:29 AM »
I agree with Chuck and will go one + step further and will probably anger some when I say that this is not custom leather we are talking about.  There are far fewer custom makers among the big SASS names than some of their customers want to admit.  They offer off the shelf options and, at best, swap around a few standard features.  Their ability is no less, it is just that their buisiness took a different turn, at some point, than the true custom maker. 

I have handled Kirkpatricks Prospector Rig on several occasions, it is my favorite Kirkpatrick offering, and I just love its design, a combination of the old time Slim Jim and the modern tricks to make it more competitive with the true competition rigs.  They are on the cutting edge of providing new and innovative SASS competition leather for the well heeled mass market shooter.  AND this aint no put down, you will find that many are trying to copy their accomplishments.   

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 08:57:24 AM »
I have used Kirkpatrick leather gear for over 30 of my 39 years in Law Enforcement. I know Mr. Kirkpatrick personally and I have been to the store in Laredo many times. I have two of their Belt rigs and about 20 LE holsters, all of which ar top quality. I would recommend them to anyone.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 09:34:14 AM »
Howdy Dispatch, You've created an interesting thread here. A couple of guys I regularly shoot with have Kirkpatrick rigs, and they seem to be well made, and in my observation, very commerical looking. Someone on this thread used the term "Off the shelf" and I think that's a fair comment. That's not a dig, just a fact.

It all depends on what you want, long term. I'll gave you an analogy concerning a knife. I've been looking at knifes for my CAS rig. There are loads of commerical knifes available, in a wide range of quality and prices. I've chosen to have a knife custom made for me by one of our Forum members, Ned Buckshot. I could get one quicker and for less money going the commerical route, but I think it's a cool thing to be able to say "I had this one made for me by a custom knife maker"

I'm building my own holsters & belts now, and they are nowhere near the quality of some of the guys on this Forum, who do incredible work. However, when people ask where I bought my leather, it's great to be able to say "I made this myself" The next best thing, at least for me,  would be to say "I had this custom made for me by" and I would choose one of the Craftsman on this Forum to makle one for me.

And I'll tell you, the decision as to which one would be extremely difficult, because there are so many Pards here that do really great work. Another thing about working with a Craftsman from this Forum is you can dialog about exactly what you want, and have one truly custom made. 

No disrespect to the big name builders, they got where they are because they did and still do quality work. Some guys I shoot with want the big names, and that's OK. Their money, their choice.

So the question remains, what do YOU want? Respectively, JD   

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline Dispatch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 01:11:48 PM »
It's good to know that their stuff has a reputation to last and is semi-authentic. I feel, it will serve as a good 'back up' rig to fill in for later on, upgrading to a more custom, show rig that will take the lead in his collection. I suppose it's wise to always have a back up. Although, I can't wait to knock his socks off come January.  ;D

Offline TN Mongo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 05:43:39 PM »
If you're looking for a well designed competition rig for CAS, Kirkpatrick stuff is hard to beat.  But, as Chuck and others have mentioned, it's not exactly period correct.  I make my own stuff, but I have been influenced by Kirkpatrick designs.

I have one of their butt wraps on my 1873 Winchester and I'm very happy with it.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »
Ain't heard nothin but good about them and also excellent customer service.I wanted to get one but my pocket book was just a tad shy.I went with Dave at Cochise leather,price fit me and the rig is a crosdraw with spots ,over the belt holsters and they do not slide around,great quality for the price.I have practiced with them at the house just drawing and such as money got tight and a messed up leg makes it very uncomfortable to travel to shoots and actually shoot.For period correct i go to Ned-a-Roo Buckshot.I would bow to him and kiss hid hand iffin we ever meet face to face.I'm pretty biased when it comes to Ned,he made me a knife that is pro excelluance!!!My favorite sticker by far..All you guys are great though,to hard to choose :-\ But we all know Chuck Barrows are dream rigs ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 12:07:02 AM »
Hey Rick, how 'bout a picture of the rig yer talkin about with the spots? Seein different rigs is always a pleasure. Thanks, JD

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 01:13:26 AM »
David Carrico who is on this board also makes fine leather goods at reasonable prices.  I have one of his military holsters that I special ordered and it is TOP NOTCH!! ;D

http://www.carricoleather.com/

He does a lot of movie work too!  Great to work with!

Of course 10 Wolves makes a fine holster too!! :o ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 08:23:46 AM »
Trying to narrow down who from this Forum a Pard should ask to make them a holster rig would be a real chore. It would be like swinging a cat by the tail in a china shop. You'd be bound to hit something valuable no matter what! If I was inclined to do such a thing, I would do it by PM, so as not to publically choose one fella over another.

I say that knowing no one on this Forum would think bad of someone for choosing one maker over another. This is a fine group of mutually supportive Craftsmen. I'm just happy to be able to hang out here and learn.

Once again, no disrespect to Kirkpatrick, or any other well known gun leather company. JD   

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 08:46:35 AM »
Most of the go-fast guys around here use Kirkpatrick leather.  I have used their rigs for the past eight years and have gotten my money's worth, and then some.  The service I have received from them (Rachel Kirkpatrick, in particular) has been outstanding.  My sense is the Jim Finch rig from Kirkpatrick is the most highly evolved rig for SASS competitive shooters.  My personal experiences with the product and the company have been all aces!!!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 12:08:47 PM »
Hey Rick, how 'bout a picture of the rig yer talkin about with the spots? Seein different rigs is always a pleasure. Thanks, JD

this is the model i have.
http://www.cochiseleather.com/images/view.aspx?imageUrl=/images/HS1912.jpg
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 05:16:19 PM »
That is one fine looking rig Rick, thanks for sharing that photo. JD

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »
Thanks,i may break down and use it one of these days. :-[
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Dispatch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 09:49:43 PM »
Anyone here 'customized' their Kirkpatrick rig? Pics?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com