Author Topic: New Turnbull Single Action  (Read 28673 times)

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: New Turnbull Single Action
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 12:57:20 AM »
I don't know about such things but i have watched the interview Tequila had with him and i have a feeling some of his money goes right back into the buissness so he can continue quality.From what i saw he has some mighty fine equipment and employees.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Long Hunter

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 10:55:35 AM »
He's buying the frame and parts from USFA and puttining it together.

Don,
He's not taking what we do to the extreme. He's fitting the perfect gun, but does not do the same kind of action work we do here. We build competition guns and he builds collector guns. Anyone would be hard pressed to beat the fit and finish of a USFA from the factory. Haven't seen this new gun in person but hope to before long.

Long Hunter

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 07:06:15 PM »
Long Hunter,  I am sure we would all love to know what you think of Tunbulls work once you get to handle one yourself.  Please let us know.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:54:39 AM »

Offline mworkmansr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »
I bought a pair of USFA/Turnbull Cowboy Classics last Spring in .4 Special, 4 5/8 barrels. They are extremely smooth, and the timing is perfect. Later, when I picked up my Cimarron Bisley, it felt like there was sandpaper in the works. I had previously thought it great. After a thorough work-over, it is now pretty darned good. The bluing and cch on the USFA's are really, truly great. I recommend them completely.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 11:33:29 AM »
Are they Cowboy Classics or Turnbull Open Range revolvers and did you buy them from Turnbull or a third party. I have a Cowboy Classic that I bought from Turnbull and another that I bought from an individual. On both, the actions were OK but certainly didn't feel like either had undergone an action job. In fact, the one I bought from Turnbull has since had one piece ivories fitted and an action job by Jim Alaimo of Nutmeg Sports.

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 03:13:15 PM »
My question is not w/t Turnbulls, but with the new Colt 44/40 marked on the side of the barrell as old ones were.  They run about $1300.  I'm wondering if I should buy a Uberti instead.  Is the Colt worth the extra $?

Concerning Turnbull's I've lusted for one for years, but man, the cost!

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 01:39:36 AM »
Colt is always worth the extra money. If you want a new Colt FSS you beter hurry. They quit making the blued model & only nickel are available now for a short time. They will only go up in value.  ;)

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 02:12:34 AM »
As for what I've been reading on this post concerning Doug Turnbulls guns...I have no idea if they're are any better than the one's being made by USFA getting Turnbells bluing process.

All I know that - if I ever had the money, I would not hesitate for one instant to 1) buy one of his single actions  or  have one of my own guns (my old model Ruger Vaquero) sent off to get his Color Case finish.  Someday maybe this will happen, but with the way things are in this country and world, that will have to be just a dream for me.

But if money were not an object - sure I'd buy one of his guns or many of them....

Slickshot

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 06:32:15 AM »
judging only from this picture....

i have seen original period COLTs, in brand new condition, and i tend to think that Turn bull case hardening is "overdone", i mean, brigther than originals, and more colorful...

original COLT casehardenings, specially for ARMY ISSUE revolvers, was less brighter and less colorful...with more browns than greens or blues..

as well as the blueing, in cylinder and barrel, was not so bright....in both the rust blueing revolvers, like many supplied to US ARMY, and the civilian ones, with heat blueing.

if you take a look at BERETTAS (made by UBERTI) they have  a casehardening and blueing that rivals TURN BULL...at half the price

this is the ugliest i found in the SHOT SHOW in 2010...

modern Colts have a better casehardening, more tobacco like, with less bright as they did in the past...take a look also at the casehardening of my belgian CENTAURE 1860 on top of picture....making a good casehardening is no longer a secret...it rivals COLT..

as for other guns, like Smith & Wesson Russians, all have in common the same....the blueing, done by heat blueing, was quite moderate in bright, as it was more practical for the user...

judging only by pictures, i dont think TURNBULL does period correct blueing as the states...he uses more or less the same procedures, but seem "overdone".

all the best

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 06:41:44 AM »
My question is not w/t Turnbulls, but with the new Colt 44/40 marked on the side of the barrell as old ones were.  They run about $1300.  I'm wondering if I should buy a Uberti instead.  Is the Colt worth the extra $?

Concerning Turnbull's I've lusted for one for years, but man, the cost!

yes, it is worht the extra cost, there is no possible comparison between both.

if you shoot at 10 yards you wont see the difference, if you compete at 25 meters or yards you will see why the COLT is much better...if we take a look at the rifling of a Colt in 44/40, a modern colt, and compared it with UBERTI, you will see also a great difference: accuracy.

the steel, manufacturing methods, and the mechanism is much better in COLTS too.

it is better to own one COLT than several UBERTIS.

all the best

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 09:01:41 AM »
Mike Venternio,,,the gun writer... said it best for domestic 'Colt' style manufactures,,he said 'Colt has the name, Ruger has the price, but USFA has the quality.

Deadwood

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »
Agree and disagree with Petrinal above recognizing that everything is in the eye of the beholder. While handsome, I do not think Turnbull case hardening replicates the Colt. Turnbull process has more yellows and oranges in it. My Colts, and I have representatives of all three generations, seem to show more blue and gray.
Not sure about your point on the Beretta finish. You praise it then show a photo of one and call it ugly. The Beretta you show has the current "case hardening" which to me looks like what they used on the original New Vaqueros and which was so bad, Ruger gave up on it. I agree the one you show looks ugly. I have one of the first Uberti Beretta Stampedes and that finish, while not flashy, looks identical to what is on my Colts. I don't know why Beretta changed the process on the Stampede.

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 05:57:56 PM »
Agree and disagree with Petrinal above recognizing that everything is in the eye of the beholder. While handsome, I do not think Turnbull case hardening replicates the Colt. Turnbull process has more yellows and oranges in it. My Colts, and I have representatives of all three generations, seem to show more blue and gray.
Not sure about your point on the Beretta finish. You praise it then show a photo of one and call it ugly. The Beretta you show has the current "case hardening" which to me looks like what they used on the original New Vaqueros and which was so bad, Ruger gave up on it. I agree the one you show looks ugly. I have one of the first Uberti Beretta Stampedes and that finish, while not flashy, looks identical to what is on my Colts. I don't know why Beretta changed the process on the Stampede.

well, i was playing a little joke about BERETTTAS. The ones i have seen here had great casehardenings, and great finishes, and they were made with heat, not with acid......more or less like the TURNBULLS i have seen in pictures... (well, not so pretty)

if they changed the process recently...well, then it is a pity.

the Colt case hardening seems more tobacco to me in recent SAAs and more grey in older ones, but allways was modest, i would say it had, both now and before,   the perfect "touch", just in the middle, not too bright or colorful, not too boring...and i would say it is the only one that really looks...like marble, or polished stone...and COLT leaves a finishs as smooth as silk....

The Turnbull finish looks to me very nice but not COLT like...too beautiful.....old gunstmiths had a more practical view about finishes...even in luxury guns, they preferred, in general,  finishes that were modest, but intense, at least, the anglosaxons ones..(UK specially, who never liked nickeled guns,  and USA too, for blued guns)...in other guns, Germany, France, SPAIN...there was a taste for more colorful finishes in civilian guns.

it is just my opinion.

but i repeat, i fully agree with you in general.

all the best

Offline petrinal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 06:03:16 PM »
Mike Venternio,,,the gun writer... said it best for domestic 'Colt' style manufactures,,he said 'Colt has the name, Ruger has the price, but USFA has the quality.

Deadwood

Colt has the barrels, and the accuracy. About RUGER and USFA, i know the Rugers, i have tried them...i dont like them...slightly heavier in older models, very accurate, but with a different feeling....

i prefer a COLT to a USFA...the Colt casehardening has no comparison...it is not the most beautiful, but the best done...as i said, it is the only one that really resembles...marble..

all the best

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 07:33:02 PM »
I will give you that Colt case colors probably do look more authentic to first generations,,and definitely to second generations. I've had a couple Colts,,and,,,while not as brilliant as Turnbulls,,they were very nice,,,,,more subtle. I think folks,,,me included......enjoy seeing Turnbulls work,,and that's OK too...but Colts colors are nice on their own.

I love my USFA's...yet was considering a EMF just for cowboy shooting (I don't usually shoot the USFA's in cowboy action),,but who knows,,I may apply that to a Colt...guess every person needs at least one  Colt SAA. (I've sold my second gen percussions  :'(  )

Dang you guys,,,got me wantin' another revolver,,,,,,,,,,,!

Deadwood

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2011, 04:11:24 PM »
Since we're talking Colts -  I have to ask - to me- a very important question.

I've got a third generation .44 Special, NBF 4.75 inch barrel, blued/CC (made around 1978 I think).  Would this be one to hang on to an not fire it?  Or would you shoot it?

Slickshot

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 04:41:01 PM »
Since we're talking Colts -  I have to ask - to me- a very important question.

I've got a third generation .44 Special, NBF 4.75 inch barrel, blued/CC (made around 1978 I think).  Would this be one to hang on to an not fire it?  Or would you shoot it?

Slickshot
I just know I'm missing something obvious but what is an "NBF" ?

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 07:25:43 PM »
NIB/NBF (Never been fired).

Slickshot

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 05:54:37 AM »
NIB/NBF (Never been fired).

Slickshot
Thanks. Now getting back to the original question. It depends on whether you ever plan to sell it, obviously worth more money if unfired. Also if you ever plan to sell it and decide not to fire it, I would keep working the action to a minimum so as to lessen the chance of the dreaded cylinder ring. Best advice I ever heard on this subject, came from Mike Venturino, the gun writer. He relates the story of having a 1873 Centennial Colt Single Action given to him by Hank Williams, Jr. He was dying to shoot it but was hesitant about lowering the value. His wife (wives are often more sensible about things, even guns) said, 'Look, you're never going to sell that gun because Hank gave it to you. Shoot it all you want and when you're gone, the people left behind can worry about the value ."

Offline dpotter58

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 08:58:37 PM »
I bought a pair of USFA/Turnbull Cowboy Classics last Spring in .4 Special, 4 5/8 barrels. They are extremely smooth, and the timing is perfect. Later, when I picked up my Cimarron Bisley, it felt like there was sandpaper in the works. I had previously thought it great. After a thorough work-over, it is now pretty darned good. The bluing and cch on the USFA's are really, truly great. I recommend them completely.

I'm looking at the top revolver in your picture. I have an EMF hartford premier that was CCHd by Turnbull and it is a beautiful piece with a great action. As I understand it, the original was a ASM or Ubertti that was colored by Doug and had the action worked by EMF. It was done in '91.
It looks identical to yours and has the colt type rearing stallion grips. Is yours a Turnbull or one like mine, colored by him but worked by the factory?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com