Author Topic: 'Wantin' to take the plunge  (Read 4514 times)

Offline M14MSgt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'Wantin' to take the plunge
« on: June 06, 2009, 08:47:58 PM »
I am stronly considering a Cimmaron-Arms Spencer carbine, but cannot decide on whether to stick with the authenticity of having it in .56-50...or .45LC to make it easier to get ammo for it. I already have reloading dies for the .45LC. What do you fellas think??? Just need $1300 and I am all set.  :D

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: wantin to take the plunge
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:29:46 PM »
If you already shoot 45 Colt, that's the way to go.  With components availability what it is these days, why look for more hassles.  I didn't get mine until they were available in 45 Colt and I'm not looking back.

Online Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: 'Wantin' to take the plunge
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 04:23:03 AM »
M14MSgt,

I think if you do a search on SSS, you will find more comments on the .45LC Spencer.  Your decision really comes down to how strong you feel about the "authenticity" factor in helping you decide between the two calibers.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:59:24 AM »

Offline El Tigre

• Very Active Citizen
  • go towards the sun , your shadow will behind you
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »
I am stronly considering a Cimmaron-Arms Spencer carbine, but cannot decide on whether to stick with the authenticity of having it in .56-50...or .45LC to make it easier to get ammo for it. I already have reloading dies for the .45LC. What do you fellas think??? Just need $1300 and I am all set.  :D

I expected my Spencer this week  Unfortunately I do not get it at time so I am expecting it next week. I am not so much interested to have an original one due to money I have to pay but ordering a copy like offered from Taylor, which is an Armi Sport, I pay attention to the calibre which was used at this point of time. So I ordered a 56-50. Maybe I am wrong, but I never heard that original Spencer’s were equipped with 45 Colt.
So I would prefer a 56-50.
The components like brass are a little more expensive but it makes you individual to have a 56-50.

El Tigre

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 03:32:19 PM »
Mainly due to accidents and bargains, I have 2, a 56/50 and a .45 S&W.  While I love the big .50 for hunting and the occasional GAF match, the .45 gets far more work at my local SASS matchs. The 50 goes thru powder and lead at a prodigious rate when combat shooting.  The .45 is far better suited for smokeless powder as well, if you desire that.  I use BP in everything, but thats just me.

Unless you're looking down the barrel, you can't tell the difference, so it really is simply up to you and your personal preferences. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 06:13:30 PM »
Well, there's the argument for you:
:o     Powder and Lead at a Prodigious Rate!      ;D     Powder and Lead at a Prodigious Rate!      ;D     Powder and Lead at a Prodigious Rate!      :o    Powder and Lead at a Prodigious Rate!      ;D     
Can you think of a better reason for 56-50 over 45 than watching 350 gr. of lead go downrange with a prodigious amount of flame and smoke?

'Just wanted to help make sure the arguments for and against are balanced! ;D ;D  ;D
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 11:33:03 AM »
have the taylors rifle and carbine in 56-50.love them. i like to shoot as close to what they really used as possable. yes a little more powder and lead but it not that big of a deal to me. i buy inbulk and have lot of both in storage. seem to shot the rifle more then carbine. don't really know why just seem to grab that one more often. i'm sure you will enjoy your carbine. lock -tight the screws in the block they are always lossening up. bought some spair parts from vti to have on hand,just in case. haven't needed any yet. over 600 shot threw the rifle and a good400 threw the carbine, still working fine. good luck, kurt250

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 04:39:12 PM »
Hmmm, I wish I could afford either!  Tried moving some stuff to scrounge the $$ to pick up a SPencer, but gun market is slower than the economy!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 08:23:06 PM »
another caliber to think of is the 44-40 it is by far the most acurate of the Sprncer replicas,I shot one on the weekend that was straight out of the box,even with no work on the triger it shot rings around two originals a new 56-50 and a 45 colt, having said that i still lick the 56-50

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 05:53:26 AM »
I had to chime in with a comment or two-- first, nothing like the full throated bang from the 56-50.  Loads?? Just a tad bit more lead per round, same amount of powder as the .45 Colt.  Brass is expensive, but lasts forever, other items such as dies are same price.  I have really been pleased with the Jim 512-350 bullet from Buffalo Arms.  Bottom line-- get the 56-50.
French Jack

Offline Appalachian Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Appalachian Ed------ NCOWS N-SSA/CSA - 2nd KY
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 03:22:13 PM »
56-50 is WELL worth the effort. It can be a pain at times, no argument there.
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com