Author Topic: Guns in Last Stand at Saber River  (Read 10621 times)

Offline M14MSgt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Guns in Last Stand at Saber River
« on: June 06, 2009, 06:13:33 PM »
Just watched this for the first time, and couldn't help but drool over the numerous CAS types shown in this film. I know Selleck's character (Cable) carried a Henry but what type of pistol did he use? Also, it appeared as if several scenes had a Spencer rifle in them. Is this correct? Good movie all in all.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
Re: Guns in Last Stand at Saber River
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 07:48:26 PM »
Hi,

If I remember correctly, he carried a Schofield in a 'strong arm holster', and often carried a Colt stuck in his belt.

In a particular gunfight with the major heavy in the movie, I remember him reloading his Colt .... unless he had not more Schofield ammo (a definite possibility), it would have been much quiker and more sense to reload the Schofield....

I remember on a leatherworker's site that you could buy that holster combination ... but to pull out that 7" barrel, one would have to be as tall as Tom Selleck or double jointed to quick draw it in a strong side. Cross draw for that big a gun works much better ... even with the paunch AND the 'SASS dance'.

Ask me how I know .... *L*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 05:52:13 AM »
The gun is a Colt Richards Type 1...It is a feature of conversation when he returns for the war fairly early in the film.
Having been made by his Father in Law ( Harry Carry Jr.) and engraved and Ivory gripped by his wife.
The Gun in fact was made by Kenny Howell (who made several for the Film) and recently was displayed at the NRA Museum.
He does have a Henry, and his wife sports a Spencer.
If you watch closely you will also see a Halls Carbine leveled at Cable when he is overwelmed by the baddies at the River.
Here in lies a SPOILER
And the late David Carradine's Character is murdered by the twisted Store keeper using a LaMat revolver.
Guns of the Old West ran a cover story of the Guns Of Last Stand at Saber River

There is no Schofield in LSASR, however in Selleck's  "Crossfire Trail" you'll see one as well as an Evans and a 72 Opentop.
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:47:17 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 05:15:18 PM »
Hmm ... must have mixed the movies .... I just bought both but have only watched one ... mea culpa. And about the Lemat and Evans; now I am going to have to watch it really closely ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 06:44:15 PM »
Here is the Uberti Henry .44-40 reproduction rifle imported from Italy by Allen Firearms from Last Stand At Saber River
and the Winchester M1876 .45-60 rifle modified by Ken Howell of R&D Gunshop for use by Tom Selleck in Crossfire Trail. Based on an original carbine receiver made in 1879, this longarm was rebuilt for movie use.

The Colt 1st model Richards Conversion .44 revolver was manufactured for Last Stand at Saber River it was Engraved with Cable on the backstrap, of the ivory-stocked revolver .
And the Colt Open Top .44 revolver (below) manufactured from a Colt blackpowder reproduction for use in Crossfire Trail. The revolver was also modified by Ken Howell of R&D Gun Shop.
The .45 Schofield revolver was a hand-built revolver manufactured by Ken Howell of R&D Gun Shop for Crossfire Trail

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com