Author Topic: Winchester Model '94 CAS/SASS legal gun sites  (Read 10255 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester Model '94 CAS/SASS legal gun sites
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »
I bought a used starter Winchester Model 94 (late model, side ejector) in .45 Colt (I know, the very worst combination but the gun cycles smoothly, even with Schofield ammo). My only problem so far is with the sites; my Daisy BB gun had as good a site and actually, the front was more attainable.

For the rear, the given replacement is a Lyman #2 tang mounted peep site ... but the standard front site is as bad or worse than the rear. With my presbyopic eyes (i.e. 'old eyesight', I find that it is hard to make out the front blade. It seems too thin in profile and too dark.  It literally disappears!

I would like to improve the front site, but am worried about keeping the rifle legal for CAS/SASS shooting.

Does anyone have experience with competition allowed improved front sites for the Winchester '94?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Winchester Model '94 CAS/SASS legal gun sites
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:23:53 PM »
How 'bout SASS/CAS approved front sites for ANY Winchester lever action rifle?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:10:49 AM »
How 'bout SASS/CAS approved front sites for ANY Winchester lever action rifle?
Shooters Handbook page 6;
RIFLE
• Tang mounted rear sights may utilize changeable “peep” apertures and eyecups.
• No bolt or receiver mounted sight is permitted.
• Dovetails may be milled in the barrel for sight replacement.
• Beech style front sights and sight hoods are allowed.
• Front sights may include a bead or insert of steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold,
pewter, copper, or silver. The bead or insert shall be the color of the material.
• Rear sights may utilize an insert of the same color as the rear sight to allow easy sight
adjustment.
• Ramp style front sights are allowed if original to the firearm.
• Modern style click adjustable barrel or receiver sights are not allowed.

You can use beads, blades of steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver.
My suggestion would be a Grabber front sight, I installed the .130 on all my rifles, really helps these old eyes.
http://www.bananariveroutfitters.com/

Jefro :) Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:28:53 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 11:59:32 PM »
Thanks Jefro ... always nice to hear from someone who has been there and done it.....

I looked at the Grabber 130 on the website you offered ... I like it alot.

I am also looking at the XS Cowboy front site ... and here is a webaddress:

http://www.gunaccessories.com/XSSightSystems/CowboyExpressSights.asp

I am going to my first match this weekend and will see what the general comsensus is as well .....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 01:27:42 PM »

For the rear, the given replacement is a Lyman #2 tang mounted peep site ...
Fergot to mention, for CAS distances I prefer a simi-buckhorn rear site with the Grabber. Good Luck.

Jefro
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 10:47:37 PM »
Jefro;

I see this Winchester 94/45 cal. as a stepping stone gun, and will probably end up with a '73 for normal pistol round competition, and this fellow I know has this Spencer (sorry, I have wanted one since I was literally a kid), and he told me once that he never shot it ... so if I am going to go distance, in my newbie state I will probably go with a Spencer or a Sharps ... but then again, another member reminded me that I could use my restored Brazilian Mauser 98 (in 7x57, a real tack-driver round) if I shot in the Wild Bunch category ... so who knows?

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 11:28:15 PM »
Jefro,

I read the manual before I typed this ....

I ended up buying a Marbles medium bead front sight 'cause that is what my local SASS gunshop suggested

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5433.html

2.) For a tang rear sight, Taylor's & Co offers a tank mounted ladder sight similar to the ones used on a Sharps ... is a ladder tang site alllowed for SASS competition?

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/detail-accessories.tpl?subcategory=Sights&startat=11

Go to the last item on the page, # D02

Thanks for your interpretations!

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 11:34:01 PM »
I somehow lost a whole paragraph when the post was sent.

My concern with the folding site was that they were not used on Winchesters until 1906, and on top of that it offers windage adjustment. My local 'SASS' gunshop and gunsmith seem to think it is legal and kosher.  What do you think?

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com