Author Topic: The Blankety Blank rear sight  (Read 4027 times)

Offline 93_marlin

• I....have become comfortably numb
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Blankety Blank rear sight
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:52:27 AM »
It seems to be an ongoing problem on the boards. The ladder sight being kinda loose and flopping around a bit. It makes a guy wonder if Uberti is contracting out the rear sights. The overall quality of the Uberti rifles seems to be very high, and then they throw on a sight that's flopping around, or or the slide doesn't fit on the ladder correctly. Small issue I guess but it kinda cheapens the rifle to me. >:(
Just my 2 cents.....

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
Re: The Blankety Blank rear sight
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:57:54 PM »
I got fed up with mine too, so I installed a heavier spring and a detent pin from an AR. Also used a compression type roll pin in place of the solid one used by Uberti, and that totally eliminated any wobble or looseness, and it locks up tight in the up position and down position. As far as the ladder portion, I just gently spread the sides of the ladder to where it held the slide snugly - helped, but now it's a little snug to move, and more grip is needed to raise it. I can live with that......

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »
what Seth said .. ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:13:23 AM »

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 08:45:58 AM »
Here are the parts I changed - show two different springs depending on how tight you want the flip-up to be - I just cut them down to needed length. I'll try and find a list of exact pins and springs. They are from an AR15 spring and pin parts group that I had laying around for years - looks like the take down detent and spring, available at many places. I added a link below to show parts and order if so desired. The roll pin can be bought at any hardware store...just take the original with to get the exact size needed....as always, when working with these small parts - expect a flying pin or spring to take off into the unknown. Might want to have an extra on hand  ;)

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Lower_Parts_Standard_s/85.htm

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 01:30:57 PM »
On my 66, the spring and ball were pressing against an un-notched surface, so the ladder had no particular reason to stay down, and would drift upward with recoil and handling.  I disassembled the sight and filed a notch for the ball in the down position, so now it stays there unless I deliberately raise it.  I could have drilled a hole, as the up position has, but the notch was easier as it can be done without removing the sight from the barrel.  The notch also eliminates the need for spot-on accuracy for location to meet the ball center.

I did not (yet) do this on the Henry, as it isn't as floppy as the 66 was, but it might need it at some time in the future.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline 93_marlin

• I....have become comfortably numb
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 04:46:29 PM »
Flint, that's what mine acts like, in the down position there's nothing that keeps it down. Like the detent isn't hitting the hole. Could be an easy fix.   

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 07:04:15 PM »
93, there is no hole for the down position, which is the problem.  As I said, I notched the sight frame rather than attempting to drill a hole as I could leave the sight in place on the barrel to do the job.  You have to mark the inside of the sight base to locate the right place for the notch.  I filed mine with a Swiss file deep enough for the ball to seat into it. 
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline TMMonroe

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 09:58:43 PM »
Mine has a detent pin in the down position. All in all, it seems a much sturdier sight than has been featured in the preceding posts. Perhaps the Uberti people heard the complaints and have addressed the problems. I am much taken with my rifle and plan on bequeathing it to my son when my clay is laid to rest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com