Author Topic: >45 Schofield Dummy/Snap Caps  (Read 5771 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
>45 Schofield Dummy/Snap Caps
« on: May 04, 2009, 11:36:47 AM »
I have read that the Schofield round is .1 " shorter than the .45 Colt., and I presently have .45 Colt snap caps to practice with.

But I plan/hope to use .45 Schofield in my lever action as well as my pistols, and would lilke to try cycling snap caps rather than loaded rounds. I mean, ever since I shot the TV I get a little nervous with live rounds in the chamber inside the house ..... LOL

Does anyone have a source for .45 Schofield snap caps?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: >45 Schofield Dummy/Snap Caps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:59:54 AM »
Every Snap Cap I've ever used was made as a dummy from a real round - with the primer hole drilled out and a rubber plug inserted.

Find someone who reloads and they should be able to help you out.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:58:48 PM »
St George; Thanks for the idea .... a friend in SASS is already making me some reloads .... perhaps he could make me some snap caps as well.

And while I am thinking of it, thank you for all your sage advice given to what is probably baby-step questions!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:56:40 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »
De nada...

If you don't ask - how're you supposed to know?

You might have a small hole drilled into the side of the case - further identifying it as a dummy round.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:01:46 PM »
I had thought of painting the whole snapshell green or some such, but a hole would work too!

NCOWS #3403

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 03:59:59 PM »
Don't paint it - chemically blacken it with 'Brass Black'.

The Army's dummy rounds for 5.56mm and 7.62 NATO are both 'fluted' as well as 'blackened' - so they're immediately distinguishable.

You could also get nickelled cases...

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:18:50 PM »
I fill the primer pocket of my home made snap caps with pieces cut from the small erasers sold for some mechanical pencils.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »
Seth,

The .45 Colt snap caps that I own are about a quarter inch longer than the .45 Schofields with a 180 gr round head bullet.
What I was trying to do was run .45 Schofield into my Winchester saddle gun to see if it would cycle without loading a live round in the chamber.

I finally gave up and tried a live round; Schofields will not cycle in my Model 94 ..... although the .45 snap caps do really well.

NCOWS #3403

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 06:53:29 AM »
I have always heard that the trick for using dummy rounds or snap caps in your rifle is to cut away asmall section of the rim and place this part under the extractor.  It allows you to work the lever while the practice round stays put and only one round is necessary.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 10:37:30 PM »
Since I don't own reloading equipment and the local cowboy shop does not carry .45 Schofield, the member who does my reloading of Schofields made five 'snap caps' out of old brass and a bullet ... and filled the primer hole with a high strength caulk like substance ... and guess what? They cycle through my .45 Colt chambered Model 94 just fine! So I will have to take it out to the range to see how it does with live shells ....

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com