Author Topic: "National Arms" .32 Pocket Pistol - Malleable iron?  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Flinch Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
"National Arms" .32 Pocket Pistol - Malleable iron?
« on: April 09, 2009, 08:22:59 AM »
I have recently aquired a breaktop .32 5-shot S&W clone that says "National Arms Co.  New York" on the top of the barrel.  It is in good shape except for the nickel plating and the bore/cylinder has no pits, etc.

From some of the scant research I have pulled together, it might have been made by the Meriden Arms Co for Sears & Roebuck distribution from 1910 to the middle 20s.  The same research says it may be made of "maleable iron" and not steel. 

I plan on using it as side match pocket pistol and only shooting black powder out out of it.

Anyone know about malleable iron weapons and if shooting it will be excessively dangerous?
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "National Arms" .32 Pocket Pistol - Malleable iron?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »
It's definitely 'malleable iron' and not steel.

Even Smith & Wesson didn't 'harden' their products until 1914, so it's not in the minority...

Meriden made firearms for 'the Trade' and they made a helluva lot of them - tey were of 'good enough'  quality, but still, when your primary interest is in buying by price point, you can imagine that they weren't top-of-the-line when brand new...

So long as you're using a BP load - or a 'standard' load - the weapon should hold up enough for your purposes, and since these were produced well after 1899, smokeless was definitely available.

They were meant to be carried a lot, and shot little...

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com