Author Topic: Shortening the barrel  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shortening the barrel
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:55:52 AM »
I've acquired a pair of Pietta .44 C&B's with 8" barrels and I am of a mind to shorten them.

I've been back thru' some of the back pages but can't find anything about how the lever latch and foresight are fixed to the barrel.
(Not dovetailed)

Does anyone know how to remove and re-fix in the same manner, or do I have to go the dovetail route?

AE.
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline deputy dewey

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Shortening the barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 02:30:31 PM »
Hi Angel
You've probably seen it already but if you go to the Scorrs website and go to the section on replice remingtons theres an article on the cutting the barrel. Looks like it was a tough job to get them off and the replacements were dovetailed. Iam guessing that if they come off ok then a small locating hole drilled in the barrel and some solder or maybe some jb weld would do the trick.
Looks good chopped down but to my mind the ultimate remmy on the same site looks even better.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 05:42:02 PM »
I only cut my Pietta Remmie to 6 3/4 inches.  No need to redo the loading lever, and there is one like it shown in McDowell`s book.  I had a frontsight installed with a hinged blade to adjust elevation like a colt Bisley sight.  Frankly, I have never used the adjustment.

I looked at the article in www.scorrs.org that Deputy Dewey mentions, and it describes the process quite well.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:24:36 AM »

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 08:46:43 PM »
I shortened an 8" barrel M'58 to 5-1/2".  After the barrel is cut, in the cut off portion, drill holes exactly opposite from the front sight and the loading lever latch and drill until the drill enters their holes from the bore side.  Drill holes as close as possible to the sight and latch diameters.  Drive them out with a punch, through the barrel wall and the bore and into the bottom of each hole.

This worked for me.  Give it a try.

HHW

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 11:42:59 AM »
Okay pards, I have found the relevant info on SCORRS site and the explanations are excellent and easy to follow.   :D

Will post pictures IF it turns out ok.  ;D ;)

(If it don't, you can all pretend you don't know me)

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 12:45:49 PM »
The easiest thing to do is to replace the sight and barrel stud with Uberti dovetailed parts.  You need a 74 degree dovetail cutter from Brownells.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 02:38:46 PM »
I may take Sir Charles' method and just do the 6.75"barrel.

Which ever length I decide on, I will cut the catch and sight out of the off-cuts and try and form the dovetails from the barrel parts they are still attached to. (Both pistols are stainless, trying to retain the original look).

Thanks to all of you for your advice, AE.

PS, thanks Flint, but I try to do most of my work by hand, and we don't have Brownells over here!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com