Author Topic: spot setting  (Read 27110 times)

Offline Justino Caballo

• Your Future Sheriff!
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
spot setting
« on: March 17, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »
Hello All,

I wanted to ask if there is anyone on the forum that could exlain to me the proper way to set spots. is there an established method, special tools, an easy way to make a jig? Anything will help, all i am doing is wasting spots.
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF

Offline cowboy316

• Top Active Citizen
    • http://wildwestcustom-leatherworks.webs.com/
  • Liked:
Re: spot setting
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »
JC
well tandy actually has a spot setter tool set for like 30 buck but i cant afford it right now so what i do is with the leather just a little damn so the prongs of the spot make a mark as to where you want it the use a  finish nail or sewing awl to punch your hole then just flatten out the prongs on the back and to make it easier to hole the spot for marking take one of the long copper riveets and solder it to the top of a spot you can spare so you have a little handel
    just my $.02 worth
      Cowboy316

Offline Flinch Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 11:05:09 AM »
THis is the spot setter mentioned...well worth the money.  You sI do the setting on a rubber mat then fold the prongs in by hand with a flat punch...then set them with the same punch.
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:30:46 AM »

Offline Justino Caballo

• Your Future Sheriff!
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:48:14 PM »
thanks fellers. i guess ill try and pick up that setter tool and play with it some. do i still need to use my awl to make holes or can the setter be used to push the spot in?

Offline cowboy316

• Top Active Citizen
    • http://wildwestcustom-leatherworks.webs.com/
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:57:53 PM »
JC
if ya get that setter it will do the whole job at one time its a slick tool to have i used one once and swore ill have one some day but who knows LOL

Cowboy316

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 01:04:54 PM »
Howdy Justino

The link below will show you the tools I use, not cheap but I feel worth the money, it holds your spot for easy placement when I run into leather that doesn't want be penetrated, I use a narrow blade Exacto knife to make my holes first, after marking the distance between the prongs, either with the prongs them selves or wing dividers set at the same width as the prongs, Standard Rivet also make longer pronged spots, and barbed pronged spots to for thick leather, where you just punch the spot in and it will stay there.  Hope this helps

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D

http://www.standardrivet.com/machines-tools/tools/82-hand-held-tool-for-setting-round-head-spots.php
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Justino Caballo

• Your Future Sheriff!
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 01:09:34 PM »
heck yes ten wolves! i need one of those. a great excuse to buy tools!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 01:22:16 PM »
                Pard once you use this tool for setting your spots, you won't want anything else, and I fine Standard Rivets a great place to buy spots, there brass are solid brass not plated, and there prices are low, and you can buy the amount you want make sure you need enough things to order to off set the cost of shipping or it won't be worth your while, they get 16.00 for shipping.

Justino, I also use this punch, you can set it for different widths, but make sure you buy the extra blades, they can break, this punch works best on the larger spots, because of the size of the hole, the smaller spots seem to push in with no problem, you just need to be careful as to how you set the spot in the tool, just have a little bit of the prong showing and keep the tool straight when you tap them in.  http://www.standardrivet.com/machines-tools/tools/80-hand-held-tool-with-blades.php

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 04:53:02 PM »
What TW said - the Standard Rivet tools aren't perfect (I've got some ideas and am working with a tool maker so maybe one of these days...) but are much better than the Tandy ones - voice of experience I guess since I set 5-6,000 of the dad blamed things by hand every year......
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 05:23:25 PM »
I personally haven't had much luck with the spot setters as the prongs are just not that strong and tend to bend.I made me a tool with two projections that mark the holes and then I finish them with an awl. Bend over the prongs with a tack hammer.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline TN Mongo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »
Is there a better product out there that will give the same look, but is more secure?

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 08:22:34 PM »
  ;D Howdy Mongo

Once you have turned your prongs in on the wider spots, and outward on the 1/8", then you tap them down with a flat round punch, I picked one up at Harbor Freight for a couple bucks, I like the 1/2" head, it covers the bent over prongs better, but I have several sizes, I just find myself using the 1/2" one more, once you have done this , they're in there to stay, but you have to have BOTH PRONGS THROUGH THE LEATHER AND TURNED, if you don't do this, and there is only one prong that is through the leather, it can rip out. I use a Pound-O-Board under my work, and after I have installed my spots on the finished side, the prongs are stuck in the Pound-O-Board, so when you pull your work up from the PB, that further pulls the prongs through the leather.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 08:47:51 PM »
Howdy Pards,
 Well Mister Cheapo here! When I go to garage sales if i can buy a wood paddel bit for a 25 cents, I buy from small to 5/8" and then I will go to work with my cuts and grinders and dremel and files and make me a 2 pronged punch for each side of spot i use, I find out were I want my spot, push it down lightly so i have a small impression, and then place my tool on the marks and then a smack it with a mallet which makes my cuts, push my spots thew and tap them over.
I am cheap!

Ace

I just want to have fun!
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 12:07:54 AM »
Well, Chuck answered my question; Is this tool from Standard really better than Tandy's? I've had so little success with spots I've about given up on using them, even though I would really like to use them.

I've watched Chuck set them on his DVD, but it sure doesn't work that way for me! What a shock, could experience be a factor :P

Thanks Justino for asking the question, and thanks to 10W and Chuck for weighing in
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline cactus cowboy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 04:34:47 AM »
I just saw the Tandy spot setter online today when I was ordering some supplies. It looks like you need a tool to do just about everything (except empty your wallet). Hey Ace,  would you mind putting up a picture of the gizmo you made?

Cactus

Offline RollingThunder

• Top Active Citizen
  • RollingThunder
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 08:17:14 AM »
Here's how I do them (and I do have the Tandy Spot setter, but don't use it for the entire process any more).

I mark my spot hole, then punch two holes just to the inside of that mark. I push the spot in, and then use the spot setter to set the prongs in, and then one tap on the anvil to flatten them. You could also use a pair of pliers to squeeze the prongs in.

I also set spots before any oils or dyes, so that if I get a teensy bit of gap between the spot prong and the leather, it will swell back out with the oil/dye.

Spots set ...

Oil done -- dye on ...

Dye rubbed ...

And finished ... note that I antiqued the spots even more. Something you can keep in mind when wanting a little more "age" to your pieces.

And one, just 'cause I liked how the picture turned out. Sometimes the sun shines on the southbound end of a northbound dog.

Hope that helps.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »
This is another very informative thread. I've put a link to it in our FAQ thread. Many thanks to all who have contributed to this one.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline cactus cowboy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Beautiful cuffs by the way. I'm totally impressed,  hopefully someday I can get to that level. How did you age your spots?

Cactus

Offline RollingThunder

• Top Active Citizen
  • RollingThunder
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 06:48:49 PM »
Stain. And lots of it. During the rubbing process, the stain gets up on the spots. Well, if you let it get up there and stay there, the spots will hold the color. If you rub the excess off, you get an antique feel to it. Then when you finish the leather, you apply whatever finish (wax, super shene, saddlelac) over the spots as well, or seal them with a matte finish.
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 07:36:53 PM »
I usually measure the spread between the prongs, mark the leather with a red ballpoint pen or the point of an awl, then use a SMALL optical screwdriver (the kind with the swivel top), tapping it hard enough with a hammer to punch through the leather.  The spots I use are from Tandy.  The length of the prongs are suitable for the following:  1/4" dia. = 8-9 oz maximum; 3/8" dia 9-10 oz. max.

After punching the slits with the screwdriver, I press the prongs through the slits and then bend them over with a needlenose pliars, turn the piece over, laying the spot against a piece of leather or rubber "pound" mat, and then use a hammer to set the prongs flush.

This method is slow, but I don't get a whole LOT of call for spots.  That said, I just completed a holster and belt for a customer and installed 62 ea. 1/4" spots on the holster and 94 ea. 3/8" spots on the belt (53-inch waist  :P ).

Hope this helps.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com