Author Topic: Die Techniques, How do you do it?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline ballncap

• Slow Loadin Fast Shootin
  • Very Active Citizen
  • English Ned SASS 97137 AKA. Capt. Paul Mansell
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Die Techniques, How do you do it?
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:31:22 PM »
I have died several custom bike seats I've made using a small spray gun that I use for modelling and for paint on motorcycle tanks some years ago. For leather work I have used the daubers. On large areas this can become streaky.   :P

What techniques do you use?
Capt. Paul Mansell
Slow And Smooth, Smooth Is Fast.
AKA English Ned SASS 97137

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Die Techniques, How do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »
With some large jobs you can use a tank.  Many of us use vinagaroon to dye black.  And most of us can afford a tank of that.

For smaller stuff, or when using expensive dyes, the suggested method is to use a high density foam pad to apply the stain.  The idea is very similar to using daubers, but the foam holds a lot of dye so you don't get the streaks you might get with a less consistent media with less dye onboard.  There are other devices that carry a lot of media, and pay it out evenly.  The Tandy sponges are just the standard item.

In addition to that, you need to know your  basics: is the leather finished, or contaminated; what kind of stain is best for the application; does it work better with pre-wetting of the leather; how best to apply and finish it; at what stage to apply the finish; etc...

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:32:34 AM »
For applications that are done on single color projects I use small plastic tubs as submerging tanks.  For larger projects that will use two or more dye colors I use wool pads where a true monotone  is desired for each color.  I also apply the dyes when I am working on thin open backed leather as they need more of a controlled application.  The daubers are saved for small pieces or contrasting edge applications.  For some final touch ups I frequently use chisel, and or medium, tip Sharpie pens.  Not all dyes are created equal and some work with certain techniques better than others. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:33:29 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com