Author Topic: Photos: Evans Repeating Rifle - Courtesy of Happy Trails, resident Evans Expert  (Read 19715 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Hello SSS,

EVANS TRANSITIONAL MODEL

After nearly 3 hours of computer work, I am posting just a few of the many Evans photos I received from our (SSS) resident Evans Expert, Happy Trails ;D ;D  They are not in any special order, and I'm sorry about that, but my eyes are starting to pop out of my head :-\ :-\  So for now this is the best I can give you.  If you would like to see photos of the Evans not shown here, contact me directly by Personal Message or Email me at fsgrand2@fairpoint.net. and I will try to post the photos of the Evans part you are looking for as a continuation of this thread.  Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pard,
I hope you will excuse the correction, but the rifle pictured is not an Old Model Evans.  It may be either a Transition Model or a New Model.  The Old Model Evans does not have wood on the bottom of the magazine tube, only on the top side of the tube.

Nonetheless, these are wonderful pictures, and should be a real help to those disassembling and re-assembling the later Evans arms.  If I can get ahold of the one I know about, I will try to post some pictures of an Old Model Evans. 

Respectfully,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Trailrider,

Thanks for the correction.  The original photo I had posted was labeled incorrectly ::) ::)  It should have read, Evans, Transitional Model.  Thanks for "watching my back".  And you are also correct on the description of the Evans, Old Model ;D ;D

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Two Flints,

Thanks for posting!  I have always been curious about the Evans rifle after seeing it in the Tom Selleck movie, Crossfire Trail with Wilfred Brimley carrying one.  It is really cool to see the mechanics!

Thanks again,

PHP

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Trailrider,

Thanks for the correction.  The original photo I had posted was labeled incorrectly ::) ::)  It should have read, Evans, Transitional Model.  Thanks for "watching my back".  And you are also correct on the description of the Evans, Old Model ;D ;D

Two Flints

Two Flints,
I'll tell you one thing, Pard, I can't imagine how heavy either one of those models were fully loaded!  IIRC, and I've never had the opportunity to try either, the Old Model held 34 rounds of .44 Evans Short, while the later models held "only" 28 rounds of .44 Evans Long!  ::)  The owner of the Old Model has often thought about shooting one in a CAS match, but (a) can't figure an easy way to make .44 Evans Short ammo (there is a severe lack of .303 Savage brass, which is what is suggested in several sources, and heel bullets would be required...another pain in the klarn); and (b) to load, say 10 rounds for a match, you'd have to load 10 cartridges and then crank the lever 18 more (or is it 17 times???) to get the first round up to the ready point!  ::) Basically, the .44 Evans Short seems to be a central fire version of the .44 Henry Flat Rimfire.  Still, according to the book, "Maine Gunsmiths", the Evans repeaters were quite popular with state militias that were issued them...or at least the militia officials who didn't have to lug them around!  :P

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
having tryed 3 difrent new modle evans i have found magizine capicity is 26, you can get 28 in by puting one up the spout then top magizine up with extra one,they are a pain to load very slow and easy to forget how many you have loaded,the safty on NM is very positive so at one time it was probly consided safe to cart 28 rounds,locked and loaded,though i think they would froun on it at the range you are right about it being heavy loaded but i think it was ment for statick defence ,28 shots very handy against a charge,not very practical as a sporting rifle though in my opinion but it is a feal fun gun to shoot

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
HOLY CARP!   :o  If I am ever-so-lucky as to own one of these mechanical marvels, PLEASE remind me to NEVER take it apart!!
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Bead Swinger

• Bead Swinger
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Evans New Model
  • Liked:
Hi
One of the sites listed on the SSS "Evans ORI," i saw someone suggesting using fire-formed .41 Mag brass (with pictures of how to fire-form) for Evan's short.  Also, if you're not into this (I thought it'd be pretty cool, myself), Evans Short brass is listed at Buffalo Arms, although it runs as high as $1.48/@. Evan's NM runs $1 to $1.14/@. I was very pleased with the 56-56 Spencer brass I got from them, so I thought this might be worth investing in.  Recommendations are welcome. Has anybody tried the Evans brass from Buffalo Arms?

As another question = I'm really interested in what bullet to use with an Evans - In these pictures that's a nice heeled bullet - where can you get that mold?  Personally, I'd prefer a non-heeled design.  Suggestions are very welcome. I was wondering if a traditional .44 Russian bullet design would have enough of a point to feed well, if the case OAL was correct. Again, suggestions are very welcome.

I'm in process of purchasing an NM Evans - and hope to shoot it SASS this summer.  My plan for a stage was to put a dummy round in the magazine, and cycle twice, and then load the number of rounds for the stage.  Then while still at the table, I'd cycle until I get the dummy extracted, typically 14 times.  Then I know I'll be on an empty chamber, with the proper number of rounds loaded. Of course, this is all theoretical.  I don't have an Evans yet... Maybe next week.
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
bead swinger you have got method for loading evans at range right i dont think any rang oficer would mind after you told them the fist round was a dumy ,and you would not have to wory about forgeting how many times you worked the leaver

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
At the Loading Table
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 10:09:31 PM »
I occasionally shoot my New Model at local cowboy matches.  I made up a dummy round (colored it blue with Dykem, drilled big holes through it--no mistaking it for a live round) and take it plus the number of rounds needed for the stage to the loading table.  At the loading table I load the dummy, then work the lever TWICE (leaving an empty space in the magazine), then load a round, lever, load a round, lever until all rounds are in the magazine.  After all rounds are on board, I just keep levering until the dummy falls out.  At that point the chamber is empty (I'm overcautious, so I double-check anyway) and then just lower the hammer-thing on the empty chamber. 

Your mileage may vary.

--DJ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com