Author Topic: Trigger Pull - got to do somethin'- help in tearing down  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Preston County Rider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trigger Pull - got to do somethin'- help in tearing down
« on: March 11, 2009, 03:52:05 PM »

Folks - I have had it with the trigger pull of my .45 S&W Spencer! You know, the current pull is actually a little harder than the pull of my 1878 Trapdoor rifle! Can't keep it on target during a stage, pain, etc.

I've read all the thread about slimming down the spring and am ready to try - but - was wondering if there is a post or somebody has a tip on the easiest way to get to the main spring/trigger springs. I am not afraid to do this but don't want to take any/all unnecessary steps to fix this carbine. Any help on doing this the "best" way - the tear down - will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening

PCR

Offline Glenn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Trigger Pull - got to do somethin'- help in tearing down
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:41:26 PM »
You will need one of those spring compressors for the main spring.  Then some swiss files , emery paper,a Dremel tool and some Simichrome.
The only thing you need to be worried about are the bearing surfaces between the sear and the hammer.  File out any large imperfections.  Use the fine emery paper to smooth further.  Finally use a cloth wheel and some Simichrome to polish the bearing surfaces.
This is really a lot quicker and easier than it sounds and it works!!!  You are NOT trying to reduce the bearing surface, just polish it.  DO NOT try to carve on the spring.  You can polish other bearing surfaces if you want  and while I suppose the Simichrome polish isn't absolutely nessesary......  Finally some of the tefloned oil is a nice touch.
I can't tell you how many triggers I've done this way and the difference will amaze you.  You don't want to modify anything unless you have a good supply of spare parts. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com