Author Topic: Suggestions for a Ruger Birdshead holster for CCW  (Read 18604 times)

Offline aryfrosty

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Suggestions for a Ruger Birdshead holster for CCW
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:26:27 PM »
I have noted that I have been gravitating toward carrying my 3.75" Stainless Vaquero Birdshead in .45 C. I'd like to find a cross-draw but the only one I've seen is the Mernickle holster. It carries too high for me and the holster is far too long for my short barrel. Has anyone seen anything likely in their travels? Thanks in advance, Al
When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains...and the women come out to cut up what remains; Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains. And go to your God like a Soldier.

Offline Utah Bob

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lazy Bob Ranch
  • Liked:
Re: Suggestions for a Ruger Birdshead holster for CCW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »
I don't advocate Vaqueros for ccw but you might check with Mike Evans at www.timelyaccessories.com. He does shoulder holsters.
Rocky Mountain Warthog
BOLD #1
GAF #6
Proprietor - Lazy Bob Ranch
No cattle, No crops, No problem

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 11:04:48 PM »
I'll second that - using a Vaquero for CCW is a poor idea, indeed...

If a shoulder rig doesn't suit - there are pancakes that might.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:50:16 AM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 05:41:30 PM »
 I use to carry my vaquero when I rode in the hills here gathering cattle, shoulder rig, with a hammer loop. Like the others I don't think the vaquero is the right ccw . Not that it won't get the job done, there is better choices available for carry.

If you insist try this link, look at mh17...John makes a good holster but so do many over in the leather shop.

http://www.rankinsaddlery.com/modern_holsters.htm
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 05:55:34 PM »
LR,  Mr. Rankin makes some good looking leather gear.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline aryfrosty

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:05 PM »
Boy howdy, I took a mess of spankin's on that subject. I respect you guys opinions and don't want anyone to think I'm challenging anyone personally, but I have carried single-action revolvers off duty for the past 38 years. Not exclusively, but a good part of the time. One I enjoyed carrying in the late 1970s was a Colt .44 Spl. Like it, I still do, but the Vaquero short barrel is safer and easier on my hands. Thanks to all for the viewpoints. And yes, I have 2 Sigs and an HK P-2000 I carry from time to time. Seein's how this a Cowboy forum I thought this was an appropriate place to seek advice.
When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains...and the women come out to cut up what remains; Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains. And go to your God like a Soldier.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:48:34 AM »
I've not carried a single action for defense before, but I would not feel underprotected.  My only real hesitation has to do with slow reloads.  Many people carry a five-shot revolver with no extra ammo and feel fine.  The only other issue is the rate of fire.  A skilled shooter can fire a single action plenty fast enough; many people shoot too fast to be really effective, especially if they are carrying a low-capacity weapon.

After 15 years or so of being a firearms instructor and taking cops through transitions with a number of different weapons, I believe that there is a lot to be said for people carrying weapons that they are comfortable with.  I wouldn't want to go into a hazardous situation with any handgun--they are always a comprimise because it is hard to conceal a long gun under most shirts  ;).  Carry the gun you feel confident in.  It will serve you well.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Utah Bob

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lazy Bob Ranch
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 07:16:19 AM »
Boy howdy, I took a mess of spankin's on that subject. I respect you guys opinions and don't want anyone to think I'm challenging anyone personally, but I have carried single-action revolvers off duty for the past 38 years. Not exclusively, but a good part of the time. One I enjoyed carrying in the late 1970s was a Colt .44 Spl. Like it, I still do, but the Vaquero short barrel is safer and easier on my hands. Thanks to all for the viewpoints. And yes, I have 2 Sigs and an HK P-2000 I carry from time to time. Seein's how this a Cowboy forum I thought this was an appropriate place to seek advice.

Nope you weren't spanked here at all. Try going into that subject on the SASS wire and see how ballistic some people get. ;)Just said I don't advocate it. I see a lot of people who are new shooters wanting to use a single action as a cw. Their lack of experience causes me to advise them to use something else. A well trained and experienced individual carrying a SA probably would be sufficiently armed for most encounters.That's your business if you want to carry one and feel you're proficient with it.
Rocky Mountain Warthog
BOLD #1
GAF #6
Proprietor - Lazy Bob Ranch
No cattle, No crops, No problem

Offline aryfrosty

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:36:39 PM »
Just thought to update you guys from this 2009 post I made. I found a good holster and have carried a Birdshead Vaquero for a year and 8 months. I appreciate the suggestions concerning where to look for a holster. For the gentleman who said I didn't take a spankin'... Since my post asked about finding a holster and not what your opinion of my choice was I suspect your purpose was more inline with an effort to make me appear foolish. That's a spankin' in my book. I would also tell you that I am 62 years old and have carried guns since my dad gave me a 1911 when I was 12 years old. I carried and shot many different guns in the Navy, including being a BAR operator on a ship's landing party in 1967. I came out of the Navy in 1971 and went into Law Enforcement.  In humility I will offer that I consider my knowlege of firearms equal to anyone here.
You did teach me one thing: Never post an honest question on the CAS forums and expect  an honest or considerate answer. Thanks.
Also a sincere thanks to Coal Creek Griff who gave a good answer and a reasonable one. That kind of advice I take to heart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com