Author Topic: More depressing than suprising  (Read 6879 times)

Offline oscar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
More depressing than suprising
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:04:53 PM »
hey Delmonico:

I have been planning some pretty busy next few months, weekends and such. I almost forgot that Rock Creek Station celebration is the first weekend in June. They complain about lack of attendance but you know. You don't see hide nor hair of any mention of it anywhere. You would think that it would be mentioned somewhere on the State website for the park. . . (all you hear now is tiny crickets communicatin) nope no mention anywhere. Anyway I scheduled a boyscout camporee right on that date because I did not have a clue when it was. My fault. Please rap those folks in the forhead,. If they want attendance you have to let humans know about it. It doesn't normally just come to a body by ossmosis. At least not this decade anyway. You'll be on your own, I'mn scoutin with my little scout, that weekend. Now If it is the second weekend then that's a different story. Please let me know pard.
Oscar

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: More depressing than suprising
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 04:52:17 PM »
hey Delmonico:

I have been planning some pretty busy next few months, weekends and such. I almost forgot that Rock Creek Station celebration is the first weekend in June. They complain about lack of attendance but you know. You don't see hide nor hair of any mention of it anywhere. You would think that it would be mentioned somewhere on the State website for the park. . . (all you hear now is tiny crickets communicatin) nope no mention anywhere. Anyway I scheduled a boyscout camporee right on that date because I did not have a clue when it was. My fault. Please rap those folks in the forhead,. If they want attendance you have to let humans know about it. It doesn't normally just come to a body by ossmosis. At least not this decade anyway. You'll be on your own, I'mn scoutin with my little scout, that weekend. Now If it is the second weekend then that's a different story. Please let me know pard.

Oscar, my friend, I don't know if you were there at the GAF Muster when Jerry was talking about this same thing, in as much Ft. Hartsuff begs for visitor support so goes under-funded and under represented in advertising. The state puts it's advertising dollar into promoting the popular, proven draws, like Mahoney State Park and similar. They get the traffic. When the advertising dollar gets stretched too thin, then local efforts are just unable pick up the slack.

Frankly, there needs to be more people like Delmonico and Col. Pitspitr who promote these parks whenever the opportunity presents itself to them. I know for a fact that both parks have some very dedicated Rangers/staff, but they don't have enough impact to bring in the budget.
The way to promote these parks and events is to increase the attendance such that the powers that be can measure that increase and decide to allocate more funding.

I personally think the idea of the GAF adopting Ft. Hartsuff would be the perfect kind of task for us to take on, and would also serve to add a moral compass to our raison d'etre. There are other preservation societies or organizations that support other historic forts.
I mean, really, Rock Creek station and Ft. Hartsuff are unique in history and degree of preservation.
I would like to see NCOWS blaze that same trail and adopt Rock Creek Station for the same reasons. Show that we have a conscience and put our efforts where our mouths are as far as proclaiming our love of the history of the Old West.

The trick is to explore ways we could do that and not jeopardize the non-profit status.

Stepping down off my soapbox. :D
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:13:20 PM »
Oscar, it will be that first weekend, wish you could come, but I'll just slave poor ol' Rick. ;D

John, we are starting a non-profit "Friends of Rock Creek Station" group, we'll have a meeting on it that weekend.

I get all Poed over the way we promote our history here in this state.

If anyone reads this and wants to come to Rock Creek Station this year the 5-6th of June let me know.  I'll put a post and a stickey here on it and will post elsewhere when it gets closer.

By the way you two, our friend Texas Law Dog is planning on coming up this year, he says he wants to ride the stage, but I think he also wants some more of our cooking. ;D  I promised him CFS if he comes. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:52:39 PM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 06:06:38 PM »
Now I gotta find somethin ta sell so I can go too.  I want some a that CFS an ta meet some of you all.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »
Now I gotta find somethin ta sell so I can go too.  I want some a that CFS an ta meet some of you all.

Well I don't think John will make it this year either, so most likely the only one from here you'd meet would be me and TLD.  But there are a lot of other good folks there.  You really should come to the GAF Muster instead.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 06:24:52 PM »
I think you an Pop would be enough fer me.  GAF sounds good too, what is the date?

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 06:27:36 PM »
I think you an Pop would be enough fer me.  GAF sounds good too, what is the date?

Oct. 9-11
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 06:40:05 PM »
Leo, it will be a pleasure to meet you someday.

Let's hope it's at the Muster!

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »
Leo, it will be a pleasure to meet you someday.

Let's hope it's at the Muster!

RCJ

I'm working on him, he'd meet more folks from CAS-City.  I could also send him a route to take that wouldn't be out of the way really, but would take him to the heart of the Newbrassky Sandhills, or with a few extra miles he could see the Dismal river, you know Leo, the one in the story, you could even go through Dunning. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »
Del, I volunteer my services as a "swamper" for you at Rock Creek this year.  This years Muster is just before my 62nd Birthday, so my attendence will be an early Birthday present to myself.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 06:53:54 PM »
Well I don't think John will make it this year either, so most likely the only one from here you'd meet would be me and TLD.  But there are a lot of other good folks there.  You really should come to the GAF Muster instead.

Delmonico, you have my promise you'll see my sorry self next year! I'll set up camp with you and you can order me around like little Maryanne. ;D  I'll even bring some extra cook gear, + bottles and containers.

(I will not be throwing this old body on the ground getting killed off in the reenactment twice a day for several days, though. Dang rotator cuff still gives me grief.)

As you know I plan to shoot in Des Moines that weekend this year.

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 06:54:54 PM »
October 9 is ma birthday, so that sounds about right.  
Thank you RCJ, it would be a pleasure to meet you and the lady as well.  Gotta make up a good outfit so I can fit in proper.  Del's been helpin me with iders.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 07:03:32 PM »
Leo, You was almost born my Birthday(13th).
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »
The similarities er spooky.

Roland Deschain

Offline oscar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 09:42:11 PM »
Way off topic, I wonder if the moderator will kick me off??  Haw Haw.  Hey Law dog, how you doing? Oscar  Dunnyett here.
Hope I didn't stir too much up with this post. Just down right depressing to see. \
my little pard is working his way through scouts and I have to be there, so I will miss rock creek this time round. . Family takes first place then the rest.

Del I think I have a helper for us for the muster. He wants to learn so we can have a little bit more help.

Oscar

Offline oscar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »
Hey law dog whats a swamper?
Oscar

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 07:34:47 AM »
A swamper is sorta of a kind of helper. "Mushy" on "Rawhide" was "Wishbone's" swamper.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
Thr term "swamper" comes from Canada and it generally refers to unskilled labor.  He could be a jack-of-all-trades in a saloon, a cook's assistant, or an assistant to a driver of a team of horses or mules.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »
Well then I've done my share of swampin ;)

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »
Leo, My Dad always refered to me as  Jimbo, my swamper ,when I was a little kid hanging around the wrecking yard and garage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com