Author Topic: Blades and edged items.  (Read 2412 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Blades and edged items.
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:00:47 PM »
(Moved so as not to hijack Delmonico's post.)

I love knives and all edged weapons in general. But, as far as the ones that I have chosen to compliment my persona, these are the main ones.

I usually prefer a folding pocket knife, rather than a belt knife. I have several that I use, most all single spear point blade from 2 3/4" to 3 1/2". Scales of rosewood, horn, etc.
Having ended service in the Navy during the Late Unpleasantness, one of my favorite pocket folders is the Bosun's folding knife, second from the top. Exact copy of one from 1864, bone handles and stamped "United States Navy".

On the top, for a belt knife used for a short time after the war when I tried inland freighting on the plains of Newbrasky, the 'Natchez' coffin-handled Bowie. Unmarked blade I pinned with plain walnut.

Having suffered an arm/shoulder injury one spring visiting Rock Creek Station I was forced to hole up at another Road Ranch while on the mend. I used a specialty knife that allowed me to cut and fork my food one-handed. Fifth down with the scimitar-shaped blade ending in the typical three-tined fork of the era. Marked "J. Russell & Co. Green River Works", who, amongst others, did substantial trade in these after the War of the Rebellion. (As an aside, this one belonged to my great-granddad.)

Later on, after I gained prosperity and took to Town living, the most I carried around the store was the fancy pearl-handled vest pocket penknives. Third and fourth down. The one on the right marked "Robeson & Co. Cutlery". The small one on the left is my watch fob. Marked simply "U.S.". If traveling for business I will slip one of my folders into my pocket.

Town living meant I had to harvest my chin-hairs occasionally, so I made more regular use of a straight razor. On the bottom left, ivory handle. (Leatherette-covered chipboard carrying case not shown.) Marked "Wester Bros. Anchor Brand-Germany"

For keeping everything extra sharp, I added a jeweler's honing steel, second from the bottom. Marked "Case XX U.S.A." (Although strop used to maintain straight razor.)

(And I have a copy of the Ames Naval basket-hilt cutlass for nostalgia only.)

I will add some pics of other folders I have used.
RCJ

Sorry if the above is stretching the intent of this forum, but the edged tool I use to open my 'airtights' is this cast iron and steel can opener. Marked "Peerless Pat. Feb 11.90-Made in USA"

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline 'Monterrey' Jack Brass

• NCOWS Life, SASS Life
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ferrotype of Brass, c1885, by R. Gibson
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Blades and edged items.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:45:15 PM »
RCJ – I recently picked up a great reference, a reprint of the1884 John Russell Cutlery Company catalog. There are a couple of items for sale in it that might be of special interest to you. On page 19 there are two variations of what are designated as ‘one armed knives’, the same as pictured above in your post. Essentially both variants are the same in shape and have three tines at the end of the curved blade though one is a bit longer than the other. Yours pictured above is the longer of the two available. They were sold with ivory, rubber, ebony, white bone, or redwood handles.

YMH&OS,

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com